WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

So a week in...and here are my thoughts.

The Skagen is really nice. I like it a bit more than the Q Explorist 3. Reminds me of the old Moto 360. Battery life has been decent. Wish the screen was a bit bigger and it had a HRM, but that's what the Falster 2 is for.

The XZ2 is really nice. Battery life on standby is much better than on the Pixel 2 comparatively. The only issue I have is that it doesn't have the right feel for me. I am waiting to see if I get 9.0 to change my tune. I like it enough to keep it, but there's a hiccup...

Thank you for checking in. It sounds like the Skagen could work for you.

Hmm it's challenging with a hiccup. Do you think it's something that could be very annoying like the Essential Phone was with the charging and signal issues or something that is kind of annoying?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Thank you for checking in. It sounds like the Skagen could work for you.

Hmm it's challenging with a hiccup. Do you think it's something that could be very annoying like the Essential Phone was with the charging and signal issues or something that is kind of annoying?
The phone for me lacks...personality or the "that makes sense to me" bit.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

My usage has changed significantly with the current job and career focus. I'm not on my phone in the days as much because my *** is super busy. So I'm officially a user with burst heavy usage spots between long stretches of light/standby use. That's why I was OK with the Pixel 2 and the battery could get me through a day. On the XZ2, so far that usage gives me two days per charge.

When I talked about battery anxiety, the Pixel 2 in standby was good. Once I started to really push it, not so much. It has an excellent camera, so you want to use it more. Having used as many cellulars as I have, I know how to manipulate usage to get the most of my battery in a day. Pixel 2 for me was not a phone where if I wanted to hammer it, it would hold up for my needs. The XZ2 could, but I want to wait for 9.0 to get the new camera app and test there.

I think I'm at point where my daily driver has to give me good battery life for my usage, enjoyable audio and a good camera for the convenience. I'd prefer regular software updates too. I could use a Pixel 3, but it has to be a 128GB. Otherwise, it has to be something with an SD card.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

My usage has changed significantly with the current job and career focus. I'm not on my phone in the days as much because my *** is super busy. So I'm officially a user with burst heavy usage spots between long stretches of light/standby use. That's why I was OK with the Pixel 2 and the battery could get me through a day. On the XZ2, so far that usage gives me two days per charge.

When I talked about battery anxiety, the Pixel 2 in standby was good. Once I started to really push it, not so much. It has an excellent camera, so you want to use it more. Having used as many cellulars as I have, I know how to manipulate usage to get the most of my battery in a day. Pixel 2 for me was not a phone where if I wanted to hammer it, it would hold up for my needs. The XZ2 could, but I want to wait for 9.0 to get the new camera app and test there.

I think I'm at point where my daily driver has to give me good battery life for my usage, enjoyable audio and a good camera for the convenience. I'd prefer regular software updates too. I could use a Pixel 3, but it has to be a 128GB. Otherwise, it has to be something with an SD card.

Considering your use case, I'm not surprised that this is the case for you but I'm curious to how this would look like for you with a daily phone. The XZ2 and Pixel 3 sound like it hits some spots but has clear plus and minuses, so I'm curious how the middle ground would look like for you here (when it comes to phone options), or is it in the XZ2?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

So I decided to be as lazy as I could today. It's been a rough couple of weeks and I wanted to lay back for a bit. Idle hands are indeed the devil's workshop as I found myself fartin' around with old tech. No, I'm not talking about a transistor radio from the 1950s, I'm referring to items from less than 10 years ago. I busted out the Passport and the HP Touchpad for a quick spin. I hadn't touched either one in at least a year and both fired right up without having to charge. Immediately they went crazy trying to sync accounts with outdated passwords but that's expected. What was unexpected was how easy it was to slide right in after so long and everything being so easy to navigate. I trust my hands wouldn't remain idle if they ever found themselves wrapped around Leo Apotheker's throat.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So I decided to be as lazy as I could today. It's been a rough couple of weeks and I wanted to lay back for a bit. Idle hands are indeed the devil's workshop as I found myself fartin' around with old tech. No, I'm not talking about a transistor radio from the 1950s, I'm referring to items from less than 10 years ago. I busted out the Passport and the HP Touchpad for a quick spin. I hadn't touched either one in at least a year and both fired right up without having to charge. Immediately they went crazy trying to sync accounts with outdated passwords but that's expected. What was unexpected was how easy it was to slide right in after so long and everything being so easy to navigate. I trust my hands wouldn't remain idle if they ever found themselves wrapped around Leo Apotheker's throat.
One of my closest friends (to whom I'm his son's godfather) still has my old Touchpad. Dual booting with Android ICS. I can still hear him complain as to WTF HP did with Palm. I agree, I agree. WebOS will always be one of my favorites.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Considering your use case, I'm not surprised that this is the case for you but I'm curious to how this would look like for you with a daily phone. The XZ2 and Pixel 3 sound like it hits some spots but has clear plus and minuses, so I'm curious how the middle ground would look like for you here (when it comes to phone options), or is it in the XZ2?
1) If I get a ever get Pixel 3, the Pixel 2 gets sold. Instantly.

2) If at the time of purchase a V35 was available at the same price of the XZ2, I'd have bought the V35 and used that as my daily driver.

3) If the Mate 10 (Pro included) was available at the same price of the XZ2, I'd have bought the Mate 10 and used that as my daily driver.

4) For my usage, the XZ2 and Pixel offer a similar sort of experience. Either I'd keep both or likely put the Sony on the bench.

5) Mate 10 is the closest due to the IR blaster, big battery and solid camera. V35 kills everything audio wise and will always have an open spot in my collection.

There's no way I'll find everything in one collection, because what I want is niche. The retired power user life sucks.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

See, when companies have a clear brand strategy, it gets reflected in their products (including their shortcomings).

Sony, like HTC, knows how to make good hardware. Sony of their old Androids were dumpster fire, but ever since the Xperia S, they've been solid. The problem has been their progression arc is to slow. Even now they still haven't answered the question properly: "why should a non Sony loyalist buy Sony?"

HTC has the answer to their version of the question, but they lack the presence anymore to do so. They moved too slow to figure it out. LG is walking the same path as HTC, but has the backing of the rest of the conglomerate to keep ******* money away. Xiaomi, One plus, and Huawei are great examples of developing a strategy, and adjusting it to stay relevant.

It's for these reasons why phones like a U12+, XZ2 and G7 don't sell. They're excellent hardware wise, but have flaws in the wrong places in a crowded market. I'd be happy to own any one of these, but would never buy one brand new at full MSRP.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Got the X. The size is great and I could see myself using it one handed but it's faulty so I have requested a return.

Going to hang out with the Xr.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

1) If I get a ever get Pixel 3, the Pixel 2 gets sold. Instantly.

2) If at the time of purchase a V35 was available at the same price of the XZ2, I'd have bought the V35 and used that as my daily driver.

3) If the Mate 10 (Pro included) was available at the same price of the XZ2, I'd have bought the Mate 10 and used that as my daily driver.

4) For my usage, the XZ2 and Pixel offer a similar sort of experience. Either I'd keep both or likely put the Sony on the bench.

5) Mate 10 is the closest due to the IR blaster, big battery and solid camera. V35 kills everything audio wise and will always have an open spot in my collection.

There's no way I'll find everything in one collection, because what I want is niche. The retired power user life sucks.

Ohh okay, I can get that. That makes sense to me. It is true that what you want is niche though, so I understand the frustration.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

Got the X. The size is great and I could see myself using it one handed but it's faulty so I have requested a return.

Got an Xr myself today. Perfect size for me. In between the regular 8 and 8 Plus. Almost identical in size as the LG V30 (a little bit narrower). I can easily use it one handed. So far I'm liking it.

It didn't take long for me to get used to it.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Got an Xr myself today. Perfect size for me. In between the regular 8 and 8 Plus. Almost identical in size as the LG V30 (a little bit narrower). I can easily use it one handed. So far I'm liking it.

It didn't take long for me to get used to it.

Nice! Congrats on the Xr! What color did you get?

I agree about the size, it's nice. Not too big or too small.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

Nice! Congrats on the Xr! What color did you get?

I agree about the size, it's nice. Not too big or too small.

I got the black, 128GB (not all that excited about colors, although they look nice). Bought a Cadaube Veil XT black case for it.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Ohh okay, I can get that. That makes sense to me. It is true that what you want is niche though, so I understand the frustration.
Easiest way hardware wise is Samsung. Just don't like their software or updates. Hardware wise, I could use a S9. The last Samsung I owned was the Focus 2 - really enjoyed that device. Closest since then we're the Note 5 and S7.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I got the black, 128GB (not all that excited about colors, although they look nice). Bought a Cadaube Veil XT black case for it.

Ooh nice! I hope that you enjoy it. I'm enjoying the battery life of the Xr for sure.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Gonna try to get another 10 or are you permanently (for now) staying with the 10R?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Easiest way hardware wise is Samsung. Just don't like their software or updates. Hardware wise, I could use a S9. The last Samsung I owned was the Focus 2 - really enjoyed that device. Closest since then we're the Note 5 and S7.

I believe that. I guess they would never dabble into Android One but yet they did with Android Go . I have never heard of the Focus 2 so I'll have to Google that.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Gonna try to get another 10 or are you permanently (for now) staying with the 10R?

A part of me wants to consider another 10 but since my return window for the 10r ends on Wednesday, it makes more sense to stay with the 10r for now.

Also this coming week is a busy one on the school and life side, so if I can't return the 10r on Monday, I just can't period as I don't have time for that (30 minute drive after work is how this looks like).

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I believe that. I guess they would never dabble into Android One but yet they did with Android Go . I have never heard of the Focus 2 so I'll have to Google that.
The Android version of that hardware was the venerable....Galaxy S2.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss