WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

That's the drawback with how Android initially so hardware driven. Truth be told, I could have easily if I wanted to be a cheapass just repaired the HTC 10, S-OFF to change the ROM to the international variant and left it on 8.1 and be OK for another 2 years. That phone the audio is still better than a lot of others launched since, the camera is plenty capable (it was the first modern very good HTC camera) and I'm still a sucker for high end aluminum designs.

Not much Innovation lies ahead, I feel. I could be wrong but until they solve the battery issues, I don't see major leaps forward.
They seem to be hung up on foldable phones. No idea why. I think it's like tablets. I know people still use tablets but sales have dropped significantly. Folding phones will only appeal to a niche group until it becomes thin and even then... ?

I'm with you on the battery issues. Until they solve that anything else is just icing really.

Innovation is moving away from smartphones. There's not much more they can do really.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I've reached that point where I'm not going to upgrade unless necessary. There aren't any new devices that wow me to the point I want to upgrade at this point.
I don't blame you, really. The thing I have issue with is why Google didn't put their foot down until now in terms of security dates. They didn't want to **** off their hardware partners.

So consumers still get taken for a ride. SMH.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

The seem to be hung up on foldable phones. No idea why. I think it's like tablets. I know people still use tablets but sales have dropped significantly. Folding phones will only appeal to a niche group until it becomes thin and even then... ?

I'm with you on the battery issues. Until they solve that anything else is just icing really.

Innovation is moving away from smartphones. There's not much more they can do really.
Innovation for me would be improved audio functions for a virtual assistant. Give me a way to turn the assistant into someone I can talk to that can control more of the phone's functions. Improved voice recognition to facilitate that too.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Innovation for me would be improved audio functions for a virtual assistant. Give me a way to turn the assistant into someone I can talk to that can control more of the phone's functions. Improved voice recognition to facilitate that too.
That's probably on the way along with better voice control of camera. I'm surprised at how slow these things are to develop considering the AI available.

Maybe I'm too optimistic.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

That's probably on the way along with better voice control of camera. I'm surprised at how slow these things are to develop considering the AI available.

Maybe I'm too optimistic.
That was the one thing I loved about the Moto X. Moto was trying to do that by using a custom version of the S4 chip at the time. If they are able to build that into the SoC, that would be useful.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

https://youtu.be/1-QEzsc6Q_U

https://youtu.be/t2Yaqxt4kno

Not pushing the RHA's. Just showing how I ended up with with them.

Once again, thank you. I watched both and I understand why you chose the RHA's. Flossy's video and the reviews confirm my decision to go for the Jabra Elite 65t. I plan to buy them but I'm trying to wait out my purchase for a bit to confirm that I want it still.

I noticed something interesting though in my general research. Not every device has the ability to take a call in either ear bud, just one or the other. The AirPods really do have good call quality (and you can take a call in either bud) but the idea of needing to buy accessories to make it better work for you is kind of silly to me.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

They seem to be hung up on foldable phones. No idea why. I think it's like tablets. I know people still use tablets but sales have dropped significantly. Folding phones will only appeal to a niche group until it becomes thin and even then... ?

The main reasons I wouldn't like folding phones are: inconvenience and additional breakage areas.

It's an extra step to take the phone out of one's pocket and unfold it to use it.

The hinges that fold are a source of mechanical wear and tear.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

The main reasons I wouldn't like folding phones are: inconvenience and additional breakage areas.

It's an extra step to take the phone out of one's pocket and unfold it to use it.

The hinges that fold are a source of mechanical wear and tear.

Wear and tear would certainly be causes for concern especially at the price points these rigs would be in. But, we must consider that for the longest time we ALL had flip phones that we held onto for a lot longer than today’s average. Old RAZRs and Nokias were used and abused to no end and rarely suffered failure due to hinge wear. I’m sure with the technology and metallurgic advances in the ensuing decades that hinges are probably bulletproof.

Besides, can anyone honestly tell me there’s a more personally gratifying act than to slam a phone shut in disgust when hanging up on the ex? This is a family forum, let’s keep it clean (MIA, 99 - I’m looking at you).

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Wear and tear would certainly be causes for concern especially at the price points these rigs would be in. But, we must consider that for the longest time we ALL had flip phones that we held onto for a lot longer than today’s average. Old RAZRs and Nokias were used and abused to no end and rarely suffered failure due to hinge wear. I’m sure with the technology and metallurgic advances in the ensuing decades that hinges are probably bulletproof.

Besides, can anyone honestly tell me there’s a more personally gratifying act than to slam a phone shut in disgust when hanging up on the ex? This is a family forum, let’s keep it clean (MIA, 99 - I’m looking at you).
Those phones were designed for being used as tools. Not to be coddled as the uber expensive portable supercomputers we can have in our pocket.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Those phones were designed for being used as tools. Not to be coddled as the uber expensive portable supercomputers we can have in our pocket.

Those tools weren’t exactly cheap back then either. I remember paying $450 for a Moto flip (Dynatac?) in ‘92. The Ultra Classic brick was cheaper but I was an immature punk back then who cared too much about stylin’ for the females. Now I’m just older.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Those tools weren’t exactly cheap back then either. I remember paying $450 for a Moto flip (Dynatac?) in ‘92. The Ultra Classic brick was cheaper but I was an immature punk back then who cared too much about stylin’ for the females. Now I’m just older.
They were always too expensive, because they were never intended to be ubiquitous by design. I dropped $900 on a HTC Kaiser AT&T unlocked back in the day too. Yup, when I say I've been in the game nearly 20 year, it's no joke.

Leave it to Apple to really push the goal of super profits disguised into ubiquity to help get us where we are now. SMH.

Like you, I'm older and just tired of it. So, I'm looking forward to retiring as there is nothing out now (and for a while worth the time).

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

This government shutdown over a wall disguised in the Trojan horse of "border security is absolutely" ******* up a lot of people.

I don't know what was worse - this shutdown or May's busted Brexit. What an utter disaster.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

This government shutdown over a wall disguised in the Trojan horse of "border security is absolutely" ******* up a lot of people.

I don't know what was worse - this shutdown or May's busted Brexit. What an utter disaster.

Seriously! I can only imagine how it looks on your side of things in your field.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Seriously! I can only imagine how it looks on your side of things in your field.
The thing is a lot of people across all industries are affected. There are people unable to eat and take care of basic needs because of this.

If one sits down, all aspects of society are touched by government.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

The thing is a lot of people across all industries are affected. There are people unable to eat and take care of basic needs because of this.

If one sits down, all aspects of society are touched by government.
Can we have a vote of no confidence tomorrow like the Brits?

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

We should stick to the **** up that we know, instead of taking on that **** show.
Well at least now a lot of people will pay attention to the flaws of the goverment. For example why does one person have the power to decide what comes up for a vote. Looking at you mich miconell

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb