WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

So some good news. I know it's been a bit depressing talking politics and world news. Though I must admit that 45s typos bring about some much needed humour.

So I've only been at this company for four days and they seem to really like me. It appears they may have told my agency already.

To make a long story short. The agency that headhunted me has its head office in the UK. My contract was in English and has made life a touch difficult so I asked for a letter of explanation from them in French to give to anyone who may ask about it.

The letter states my contract is until December 25. The official contract I have is until July.

So this is good news. The truth is the guy I'm working with doesn't want to see me go and thinks I've moved here to live. So I'm playing it safe but not saying much about the future.

I think however I could easily get two to three years out of this. Which is good just not sure it's what I want to do. There's a lot of variables in all this. So I'm just going with the flow for now.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

In other news.

My wife is really liking Versailles. If we could find the right place and it didn't cost a fortune we would consider staying but neither of those is likely to happen.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So this is first world problems...

I've been touch typing from a very young age, around 10/11 plus I took advance typing in high school. Which means I've been doing this for several decades now. To say this French keyboard is doing my head in would be an understatement.

To add to this. I'm also using a French version of AutoCAD. A program that I've used for more than 20 years. I tend to use line commands because that's the way I learnt. Needless to say in French the commands are different because they're, go figure, in French.

I luckily know a workaround because AutoCad is natively English but I'm doing my best to pick up on the French regardless.

To make matters a bit more frustrating my computer is pretty locked down to the point I can't change the target string of the AutoCAD icon to switch it to English.

So it's been fun I suppose.
#backatworkbullcrap.

Welcome back indeed.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I've disabled most of the Gapps (Google apps) on the 8. To no one's surprise, it's running a bit snappier.

I could almost get used to using it. Almost.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So some good news. I know it's been a bit depressing talking politics and world news. Though I must admit that 45s typos bring about some much needed humour.

So I've only been at this company for four days and they seem to really like me. It appears they may have told my agency already.

To make a long story short. The agency that headhunted me has its head office in the UK. My contract was in English and has made life a touch difficult so I asked for a letter of explanation from them in French to give to anyone who may ask about it.

The letter states my contract is until December 25. The official contract I have is until July.

So this is good news. The truth is the guy I'm working with doesn't want to see me go and thinks I've moved here to live. So I'm playing it safe but not saying much about the future.

I think however I could easily get two to three years out of this. Which is good just not sure it's what I want to do. There's a lot of variables in all this. So I'm just going with the flow for now.

Nice, this sounds like all of it can work in your favor. Really glad to hear that you have the wiggle room to be able to do what is necessary for you.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So this is first world problems...

I've been touch typing from a very young age, around 10/11 plus I took advance typing in high school. Which means I've been doing this for several decades now. To say this French keyboard is doing my head in would be an understatement.

To add to this. I'm also using a French version of AutoCAD. A program that I've used for more than 20 years. I tend to use line commands because that's the way I learnt. Needless to say in French the commands are different because they're, go figure, in French.

I luckily know a workaround because AutoCad is natively English but I'm doing my best to pick up on the French regardless.

To make matters a bit more frustrating my computer is pretty locked down to the point I can't change the target string of the AutoCAD icon to switch it to English.

So it's been fun I suppose.

And I thought the keyboard was the major adjustment (which it is but I didn't guess that you would have two major ones). I'm mistaken. I wish you the best with using the necessary commands in French.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Nice, this sounds like all of it can work in your favor. Really glad to hear that you have the wiggle room to be able to do what is necessary for you.
Not sure about wiggle room but all I can do is keep working and see what happens.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

And I thought the keyboard was the major adjustment (which it is but I didn't guess that you would have two major ones). I'm mistaken. I wish you the best with using the necessary commands in French.
Learning French is important so as much as it's a pain it's necessary.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So I used the 8 for about 6 days. Virtually nothing has changed from my initial impressions. I'd be fine with using it as a daily driver if I was downsizing. Still, all the stuff I posted initially are accurate.

I'd love to give this to my uncle. He's an old Nokia guy and it would be cool to spoil him with a modern phone (he's in his 70s).

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I see LG is working on 9.0 for the G7. We will see what changes (I sadly expect nothing) in reference to the pace of them putting out software updates.

Big companies after often slow to make key changes. I've always had a soft spot for LG. Like Sony, HTC, they just didn't figure out their formula as to what they had to offer customers over the competition. I'd still pick an LG over a Oneplus device if the prices were the same. But, as always, I'm in a minority here with my views.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So I used the 8 for about 6 days. Virtually nothing has changed from my initial impressions. I'd be fine with using it as a daily driver if I was downsizing. Still, all the stuff I posted initially are accurate.

I'd love to give this to my uncle. He's an old Nokia guy and it would be cool to spoil him with a modern phone (he's in his 70s).
The one thing I do appreciate with the 16:9 phones is that for old school people like me who don't swipe to type, narrow phones still suck to type two handed on. Especially when you've got big mitts like mine. It is one of the reasons why I liked the V35 design as it was a little wider to make typing easier for someone like me.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I'm sure your uncle would love it. Let us know if you give it to him.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

The one thing I do appreciate with the 16:9 phones is that for old school people like me who don't swipe to type, narrow phones still suck to type two handed on. Especially when you've got big mitts like mine. It is one of the reasons why I liked the V35 design as it was a little wider to make typing easier for someone like me.
I swipe to type, and I still prefer 16:9 screens. I have large hands for a woman, but I'm still not fond of tall, narrow phones.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Another long day. Hopefully, Rue is adjusting better to the hamster life again.
Not really. Just happy the first week is over.

Still lots to sort out. This project feels like a confused mess but it may be how new I am to it. The systems in place don't seem very good so slightly disappointed with that.

Probably another few weeks until I get my head around things.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Not really. Just happy the first week is over.

Still lots to sort out. This project feels like a confused mess but it may be how new I am to it. The systems in place don't seem very good so slightly disappointed with that.

Probably another few weeks until I get my head around things.
I think you, 99, and Mr. Clue have those Cluster**** management PhDs. Sadly, I'm still at Master's level. I'm sure I'll get there soon enough.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm sure your uncle would love it. Let us know if you give it to him.
If I go back home soon, I'll certainly give it to him and let you know. It's going in the box on back up duty though. It's not a bad phone at all. I did end up using my wireless headphones a ton with it this week though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb