WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I had the BlackBerry 9000 followed by the 9700 and liked both. It took a while for me to adjust to the smaller device and the trackpad. I never tried the 9900, since I switched to Windows Phone.
I saw a Bold 9700 listing just now and had flashbacks to when I learned how to repair that phone. I could to LCD screen replacements (there were 3(!) versions of the screen), keyboard replacements, track pad replacements and full housing replacements. Used to get the parts from China where there were all sorts of combos to make the Berry's look unique. I bought a 9700 to upgrade an ex from her 8520 Curve as a birthday gift and swapped out the black housing for a lilac matte trim.

Good times indeed. I'd keep one for overseas travel as nobody would want to steal the phone from me in a robbery. Lol.

I'm almost tempted to find one for that purpose too.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I saw a Bold 9700 listing just now and had flashbacks to when I learned how to repair that phone. I could to LCD screen replacements (there were 3(!) versions of the screen), keyboard replacements, track pad replacements and full housing replacements. Used to get the parts from China where there were all sorts of combos to make the Berry's look unique. I bought a 9700 to upgrade an ex from her 8520 Curve as a birthday gift and swapped out the black housing for a lilac matte trim.

Good times indeed. I'd keep one for overseas travel as nobody would want to steal the phone from me in a robbery. Lol.

I'm almost tempted to find
I never swapped out any parts, but the paint wore off several of the keys, since I used it so much.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I never swapped out any parts, but the paint wore off several of the keys, since I used it so much.
The issue I had with the 9700 was that one has to be really careful opening the housing. Everything was fit in so tightly that it was on the right hand side if you ran the case opening tool in there too fast you could damage part of the connector cable from the LCD to the board. The clips there were pretty strong but once you got that off, it was smooth sailing to do the basic repairs like swap out the keypad, track pad housing and even the screen itself.

It was a well built but highly customizable device in the right hands. I cut my teeth on the Pearl 8100...i spruced up a plain black model once for a red housing with a gold keyboard for an "Iron Man" esque look. Yup, fun times indeed.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

It is doing well, I use google camera more now, it works way better with stabilization.
In other news, I have bunch of exams so I'm pretty much learning all the time.
That's great you're enjoying your new phone. The pictures are great.

Good luck on your exams.

We're getting our first significant snowfall this weekend. Luckily, I don't have to shovel it, since I live in an apartment.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

It is doing well, I use google camera more now, it works way better with stabilization.
In other news, I have bunch of exams so I'm pretty much learning all the time.

Do post more photos.
How's the updates? I'm still undecided if I should get a Poco for the missus.

!!!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

This is so true. I wonder how much different this may turn out to be to what happened to WP:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/01/googles-fossil-deal-wont-save-wear-os/?amp=1
After reading that it's a bit depressing that smart watches haven't really caught on. I have seen more around than I used to but I guess when it comes to why you want one the answer had trouble justifying the price.

Take me for example. I'm thinking I wouldn't mind a watch. I haven't worn one for some time. I'd like to get a smart watch but I can't seem to sort out why. So I'm left just not bothering.

The biggest points at this stage is price and answering why.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Sigh... Back to work so soon. Time is flying again. Last week zipped by.

Don't feel I got much out of the weekend as we did a lot of running around.

We're thinking of going to Paris this weekend. Will be a nice to get there again. I'm sure I'll be going more frequently in general but probably more so in nicer weather. Thinking of going to a museum and general wandering.

See what pictures I can take.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

What are people's thoughts on the Nokia 8 Sirocco?
Other than it being a stepside from the Nokia 8?

It's supposedly Android One, which in theory means better updates. But it just got 9.0. The design is nice, fixed storage sucks, and the camera is the same as the 7.1+, which is mid range (quite solid). No headphone jack, Samsung S6 Edge type ergonomics.

Basically, it depends on the price you can get it at. XZ2 is still a bit better for my taste.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

After reading that it's a bit depressing that smart watches haven't really caught on. I have seen more around than I used to but I guess when it comes to why you want one the answer had trouble justifying the price.

Take me for example. I'm thinking I wouldn't mind a watch. I haven't worn one for some time. I'd like to get a smart watch but I can't seem to sort out why. So I'm left just not bothering.

The biggest points at this stage is price and answering why.
I own one for one simple reason. In my line of work, it's impolite to be constantly pulling out my phone to check the time and manage notifications just sucks. So I figured I'd get one to help manage both.

I just chuckle as it seems that all the stuff I like is going down the tubes.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I own one for one simple reason. In my line of work, it's impolite to be constantly pulling out my phone to check the time and manage notifications just sucks. So I figured I'd get one to help manage both.

I just chuckle as it seems that all the stuff I like is going down the tubes.
I hear you! Whether it's tech, food or anything else, if I like something it's bound to be discontinued by its manufacturer.

In my case, the tech gadget I like the most that has gone away for the most part is the Android tablet.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Yay, I somehow wiped all of my data and apps when flashing the A3 to update it to a recent security patch. I thought that it was done with those, but surprisingly not.

Thankfully, I had no plans to use it as a phone so there's no true loss, aside from the time it will take to reinstall apps and log in.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Yay, I somehow wiped all of my data and apps when flashing the A3 to update it to a recent security patch. I thought that it was done with those, but surprisingly not.

Thankfully, I had no plans to use it as a phone so there's no true loss, aside from the time it will take to reinstall apps and log in.
Ouch! I'm sorry that happened. I hope you're able to reinstall them quickly from your Play Store history.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Ouch! I'm sorry that happened. I hope you're able to reinstall them quickly from your Play Store history.

Thank you Laura. I'm all up and running, even though it took a while.

On the flip side, I had a hidden download on Spotify so that's gone now lol.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

For all the football fans in the house, I cannot remember ever seeing both title games go to OT. I'd like to see a Rams v Chiefs match up, even though I wouldn't care who won.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3