WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

In Trump's 'Murica this is the new normal. Being female is bad enough, being a Black female counts as strike 2. But look at the bright side, at least you're not Latina like AOC.

Believe me, they hate me more for my last name than they hate you for the color of your skin. We're the new Bogeyman but I'm insulated by living in Miami. I feel bad for all the good, decent White people that have been lumped in with 45's deplorables through no fault of their own.
Latinos are the fastest growing ethnic group in 'Murica and will be on track to overtake whites within the next 50 years, based on the last bit of census data I looked at some years ago.

Don't worry, there's still a special dislike for black folks in the eyes of the traditionally racist. Hard to overcome that 400 years of being like that bit overnight.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

You might shake your head at this but he asked us (a class of 16) if anyone objects and no one said anything so I felt weird about being the one to do so.

Also in this class, I'm the only female that looks like me (by this, I mean my race; all the others are white) so I felt some kind of way. This doesn't always play into things but there's times when I have that in mind.
I get that loud and clear...

...i will also say that one has to learn how when to pick the battles. That does involve sticking one's neck out.

I was in the following work situation around this time last year. I sat in a meeting with a white SW supervisor and her white administrative boss in a rehab where my white Jewish client was staying. The supervisor was utterly ****ting all over my client and the SW supervisor sat quietly. She worked for the facility, so she wasn't going to challenge the dude. So I did, in a very professional but firm manner, and we ironed out a temporary agreement for a boost in services. They wanted to kick him out and I was able to keep him there a bit longer before he ended up in another hospital and they used that opportunity to get him transferred to a different facility. The manager was surprised at my advocacy, especially when I pulled out how "effective" they were in managing one of the long term residents on the floor that was just as much of a "problem" as my client.

This was a client who was also used to throwing his family money around and tried to pay me cash in certain situations - because that's how he was used to dealing with people who looked like me.

When you have to walk in places where people who look like us aren't "expected" to be in, you learn how to make it work. Quickly.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I get that loud and clear...

...i will also say that one has to learn how when to pick the battles. That does involve sticking one's neck out.

I was in the following work situation around this time last year. I sat in a meeting with a white SW supervisor and her white administrative boss in a rehab where my white Jewish client was staying. The supervisor was utterly ****ting all over my client and the SW supervisor sat quietly. She worked for the facility, so she wasn't going to challenge the dude. So I did, in a very professional but firm manner, and we ironed out a temporary agreement for a boost in services. They wanted to kick him out and I was able to keep him there a bit longer before he ended up in another hospital and they used that opportunity to get him transferred to a different facility. The manager was surprised at my advocacy, especially when I pulled out how "effective" they were in managing one of the long term residents on the floor that was just as much of a "problem" as my client.

This was a client who was also used to throwing his family money around and tried to pay me cash in certain situations - because that's how he was used to dealing with people who looked like me.

When you have to walk in places where people who look like us aren't "expected" to be in, you learn how to make it work. Quickly.

I have no words to say but wow.

Thank you for sharing, and I will have to keep this in mind.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I have no words to say but wow.

Thank you for sharing, and I will have to keep this in mind.
Learning how to advocate for oneself is a skill. Being able to do so deftly often carries more weight whenever people can read between the lines and see you can back up your words.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So, another week lays ahead. Not much to be excited about on my end work wise as they all look the same.

Birthday is in a month, so I'll reach out to my friend to see if we're on track for our annual birthday celebration.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

In more exciting news, we are going to a cabaret + dinner next weekend. One of my clients who is a thespian is directing what he hopes to be his final show after 45+ years in the industry. No conflicts of interest there as I was offered no tickets or special access for the show. The client isn't performing either.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

The G7's notch isn't as intrusive as others I've seen. That's because ain't much there - FCC flanked by that off-center earpiece and the sensors. What would have made it more tolerable is if they had lengthen the phone another half inch and snuck the earpiece like Sony into the frame above the notch. That would free up the speaker spot for the other sensors for face unlock.

Would I use that? Nope. If it led to stereo speakers? Sign me up.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Seeing lots of stuff about blackface in the news recently. It all just saddens me.

When I first visited here, it was a hell of an adjustment knowing that I couldn't really move around as freely as I'm used to, because everyone didn't look like me. I was a teen, so you rep your country with pride, and then you learn how different the experiences are for people who look like you here.

I have been able to find some diverse communities here that have been accepting. Even amongst the people who look like me, there's no guarantee of acceptance of my version of "blackness".

It's a tiresome bit, only something those who aren't white understand all too well. I remember having a conversation with my friend who moved here (summer will be two years) last fall about this and it is a balancing act of living to not be consumed by the unpleasant taste of prejudice and racism vs being ignorant of its existence. Much of my experiences have been the subtle micro aggressions that can often be more damaging than the overt stuff.

It ain't easy when all you want to do is be respectful to your fellow man and live the best way you can.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

The G7's notch isn't as intrusive as others I've seen. That's because ain't much there - FCC flanked by that off-center earpiece and the sensors. What would have made it more tolerable is if they had lengthen the phone another half inch and snuck the earpiece like Sony into the frame above the notch. That would free up the speaker spot for the other sensors for face unlock.

Would I use that? Nope. If it led to stereo speakers? Sign me up.
All in all, I like the phone. The radios just annoy me whenever I need to make calls in dead spots or send a quick message or check something online in less than ideal signal areas. I really wish that this was the standard model of 128GB+6GB RAM + microSD.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Seeing lots of stuff about blackface in the news recently. It all just saddens me.

When I first visited here, it was a hell of an adjustment knowing that I couldn't really move around as freely as I'm used to, because everyone didn't look like me. I was a teen, so you rep your country with pride, and then you learn how different the experiences are for people who look like you here.

I have been able to find some diverse communities here that have been accepting. Even amongst the people who look like me, there's no guarantee of acceptance of my version of "blackness".

It's a tiresome bit, only something those who aren't white understand all too well. I remember having a conversation with my friend who moved here (summer will be two years) last fall about this and it is a balancing act of living to not be consumed by the unpleasant taste of prejudice and racism vs being ignorant of its existence. Much of my experiences have been the subtle micro aggressions that can often be more damaging than the overt stuff.

It ain't easy when all you want to do is be respectful to your fellow man and live the best way you can.
A little perspective. It only took a couple of generations for the Irish, Germans and Italians to gain widespread acceptance in this country. Meanwhile, Blacks had a 300 year headstart on them and Latinos have been here for a century. Your Honor, the persecution rests.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

A little perspective. It only took a couple of generations for the Irish, Germans and Italians to gain widespread acceptance in this country. Meanwhile, Blacks had a 300 year headstart on them and Latinos have been here for a century. Your Honor, the persecution rests.
Yeah. Perspective.

The last time I checked, Irish, Germans and Italians, and the Russians...were still Western European, aka White. They got into eventually as a part of the US group every President recruits come election time: the middle class.

Many "traditional" (non black) Jews can "pass" as "white".

For the record, it was only in certain English speaking places like Australia when first settled, whites (often criminals or the very poor) worked initially as indentured laborers under slave like conditions. Those who were lucky to survive were able to either able to return home after paying off their debt or staying in the new colony. Some ******* found that Blacks, and later East Indians, could be "more productive" under those conditions. That led to the whole chattel slavery bit picking up steam, which was an economic first system until some other ******* found out about the social effects and decided to really reinforce the inequalities into the system that still exists today.

While there are records that poor white worked alongside newly freed slaves in the US post emancipation days, the fact that they were white allowed them the head start to move up into some of the middle class jobs that poor white immigrants got access to as well. Even though it was shown that freed blacks were just as industrious and focused on being responsible and providing for their families legally.

Yeah. "Perspective".

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Yeah. Perspective.

The last time I checked, Irish, Germans and Italians, and the Russians...were still Western European, aka White. They got into eventually as a part of the US group every President recruits come election time: the middle class.

Many "traditional" (non black) Jews can "pass" as "white".

For the record, it was only in certain English speaking places like Australia when first settled, whites (often criminals or the very poor) worked initially as indentured laborers under slave like conditions. Those who were lucky to survive were able to either able to return home after paying off their debt or staying in the new colony. Some ******* found that Blacks, and later East Indians, could be "more productive" under those conditions. That led to the whole chattel slavery bit picking up steam, which was an economic first system until some other ******* found out about the social effects and decided to really reinforce the inequalities into the system that still exists today.

While there are records that poor white worked alongside newly freed slaves in the US post emancipation days, the fact that they were white allowed them the head start to move up into some of the middle class jobs that poor white immigrants got access to as well. Even though it was shown that freed blacls were just as industrious and focused on being responsible and providing for their families legally.

Yeah. "Perspective".
Of course you realize I used the term perspective in the most sardonic way possible.

I had read about Botany Bay in Australia and it was interesting how England disposed of their "lowlifes" by sending them as far as possible from the homeland. Also interesting is that Star Trek producers in the 60s chose that name for the vessel carrying the castoffs led by Khan. Goes to show how Mexicans do the work no one else will. Ricardo Montalban played the role of an exiled Hindu prince.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Of course you realize I used the term perspective in the most sardonic way possible.

I had read about Botany Bay in Australia and it was interesting how England disposed of their "lowlifes" by sending them as far as possible from the homeland. Also interesting is that Star Trek producers in the 60s chose that name for the vessel carrying the castoffs led by Khan. Goes to show how Mexicans do the work no one else will. Ricardo Montalban played the role of an exiled Hindu prince.
And of course you do I deadpanned you right back...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm taking a page out of the Mr. Clue book and using a bit more of the baked in apps on the G7+. I always liked LG's calendar and email apps - both need a dark theme and to look a little less bare bones.

Still not a fan of the music app though. Maybe in time, but for now, Sony's Walkman app has it.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So the gf wants a phone for her brother. $200-$250 new. Nokia 8, Moto G - (maybe even the X4) series are on the list. I could add a Huawei Mate SE/8X. We will see what I can recommend.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So the gf wants a phone for her brother. $200-$250 new. Nokia 8, Moto G - (maybe even the X4) series are on the list. I could add a Huawei Mate SE/8X. We will see what I can recommend.
Suggested the 8. She's going to ask her brother first. I was leaning towards the X4 32GB tricked out (128GB memory card + case + tempered glass) for $200 and then she asks: "which takes better pictures?" lol. I had her look at the test shots I posted here and she liked those.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Suggested the 8. She's going to ask her brother first. I was leaning towards the X4 32GB tricked out (128GB memory card + case + tempered glass) for $200 and then she asks: "which takes better pictures?" lol. I had her look at the test shots I posted here and she liked those.
For $250 it's hard not to recommend the Sony XA2 Ultra. It's a biggun but it has a decent camera and even better battery life than a BlackBerry Keyone, 2 or LE. No VoIP on TMO is what kept me from keeping one.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

For $250 it's hard not to recommend the Sony XA2 Ultra. It's a biggun but it has a decent camera and even better battery life than a BlackBerry Keyone, 2 or LE. No VoIP on TMO is what kept me from keeping one.
Not sure if he really wants a big phone though. We will see what he says. I do like the XA series.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Should point out the following...

The Brits did the same thing in Australia that they did in the Americas. Enslave/kill the locals.

They then took over their lands, cutting down trees, trying to make Australia look like England. In the process destroying the native way of life.

They then did the stolen generation. They basically tried to obliterate the natives by integration. More or less genocide by breeding.

On top of all that there was segregation in Australia all the way into the 70s. To this day there is a high disrespect of the native population and high levels of racism towards them.

Australia is still a very "white" monoculture country.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb