WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

LOL that's funny about your brother! Thank you. I did enjoy it, no one commented or even cared. For a short moment, I almost forgot it was there. I was glad that I decided to go after all.
In general, we tend to care more about our appearance than others do. It's what I've found anyway.

I've never been overly concerned with myself, other than wanting to dress neatly (except in my teens). But even I want to be at my best when going to meet people, new or friends.

Glad to hear things went well.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Show was good. Video on the G7 was good. Way more usable than the stuff I shot from the V20 using the standard app. While it still had the LG oil painting, it was much better visually. You can see where the smaller sensor had its limits. The G cam did better if you pixel peeped, but I'm almost tempted to see where the V40 stands here.

Where I was super impressed was the audio. I loved the V20 audio recording experience. I left the G7 in auto and it was even better than the V20. The mics were just as sensitive, but the clarity was so, so good.
I just casted it to the TV. Yup, it's pretty clean audio wise (the GF agrees) and I wished the sensor was a bit bigger to mess around with the visuals.

And yet, her old *** Note 5 still holds its own. As much I'm not a fan of some of the things they do, their cameras are really good. I think the modern Samsung cameras started from the S6/Note 5.

As much as I do like the Note 5, I still have more fun with the V20 and G7's cameras.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

In general, we tend to care more about our appearance than others do. It's what I've found anyway.

I've never been overly concerned with myself, other than wanting to dress neatly (except in my teens). But even I want to be at my best when going to meet people, new or friends.

I think it's just a matter of personal preference. We all want to look presentable. Some are just more into the fashion side of things than others.

I'm more of a functional person, as I'd rather be comfortable than anything else. I do have those days when I feel spry and dress up. As much as women have had tons of pressure to maintain a decorative look, you'd be surprised how much more men have become under a similar lens.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I think it's just a matter of personal preference. We all want to look presentable. Some are just more into the fashion side of things than others.

I'm more of a functional person, as I'd rather be comfortable than anything else. I do have those days when I feel spry and dress up. As much as women have had tons of pressure to maintain a decorative look, you'd be surprised how much more men have become under a similar lens.

I think you're right on this. My ex and I were both Libras, which was the first time I have had that. When we didn't look our best (i.e. acne or a cold sore or whatever), we apologized for our appearance to one another. I don't remember which of us did it first, I just remember being like, wow I do the same thing. So I can believe that this is a thing.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Thank you! You have a valid point. With me, it goes a little deeper. If I feel like I look busted or bad, I do not want to take a picture or be in any. I avoid cameras like a ninja. The idea of being memorialized and looking not my best, makes me cringe.

When my hair needs to be done and looks below my usual standard (I have been told that my hair always looks nice and that I never have a hair out of place (ha! but thank you)), I'm okay with just going to work and class sometimes but any pictures or doing anything that can be photographed is a no.

For me, it was to the point where my ex never saw me with really bad hair. I could feel like my hair isn't as great every now and then but not like awful hair and we were a thing for a while. I'm sure there's issues here but eh, at least I can acknowledge it. I can say that this is a thing and will continue to be in future relationships.

This makes me sound like a vain person, and I guess I am in a way, but that's just how I feel about it even though I am not comfortable with lots of attention or being in a spotlight by myself (it makes me nervous). My coworker, who is also female, is different from me. She can say that her hair looks bad but she doesn't really care as much as me (we are the same race, so that;s not a factor either). She makes jokes that I really care and she doesn't.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Thank you! You have a valid point. With me, it goes a little deeper. If I feel like I look busted or bad, I do not want to take a picture or be in any. I avoid cameras like a ninja. The idea of being memorialized and looking not my best, makes me cringe.

When my hair needs to be done and looks below my usual standard (I have been told that my hair always looks nice and that I never have a hair out of place (ha! but thank you)), I'm okay with just going to work and class sometimes but any pictures or doing anything that can be photographed is a no.

For me, it was to the point where my ex never saw me with really bad hair. I could feel like my hair isn't as great every now and then but not like awful hair and we were a thing for a while. I'm sure there's issues here but eh, at least I can acknowledge it. I can say that this is a thing and will continue to be in future relationships.

This makes me sound like a vain person, and I guess I am in a way, but that's just how I feel about it even though I am not comfortable with lots of attention or being in a spotlight by myself (it makes me nervous). My coworker, who is also female, is different from me. She can say that her hair looks bad but she doesn't really care as much as me (we are the same race, so that;s not a factor either). She makes jokes that I really care and she doesn't.
The life of a woman is complicated. The life of a millennial woman, even more so.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

My point was simply that more often than not we are our harshest critics.

I'm fully aware of what society, media and social media has done to both men and women in portraying how looks are more important than anything else.

For reference, there's a TV show in the UK called Love Island. It's a perfect example of where we are in society. I don't watch it btw.

The idea of the body beautiful has been around for some time but has different ideas of what beauty is.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I can fully appreciate your points. I don't consider you vain at all.

As a person who has general low self esteem and married to someone who who has even more of an issue I can fully understand how you feel. I generally deal with it by simply ignoring myself, I think it's a generation thing. My wife has a harder time though.

To put things into perspective. We very rarely take pictures of ourselves.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I think you're right on this. My ex and I were both Libras, which was the first time I have had that. When we didn't look our best (i.e. acne or a cold sore or whatever), we apologized for our appearance to one another. I don't remember which of us did it first, I just remember being like, wow I do the same thing. So I can believe that this is a thing.
As you know I'm a bit of a science geek, a sceptic and atheist. My opinion about horoscopes falls into this.

You might find this interesting. Just something to keep in mind.

https://youtu.be/3Dp2Zqk8vHw

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I can fully appreciate your points. I don't consider you vain at all.

As a person who has general low self esteem and married to someone who knows has even more of an issue I can fully understand how you feel. I generally deal with it by simply ignoring myself, I think it's a generation thing. My wife has a harder time though.

To put things into perspective. We very rarely take pictures of ourselves.
I also am able to relate here. I've never been concerned about my appearance, but I have frequently been afraid to engage in conversations due to low self-esteem. I've also had severe anxiety hen I've been in uncomfortable situations.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

That's very cool.
Randi is pretty cool. He's retired now and pretty old but he's done some great things. He came out gay just a few years ago.

Not sure if you ever heard of it but he's the one that put out the 1 million dollar challenge for anyone to prove the supernatural or supernatural abilities. No one has claimed it yet.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Randi is pretty cool. He's retired now and pretty old but he's done some great things. He came out gay just a few years ago.

Not sure if you ever heard of it but he's the one that put out the 1 million dollar challenge for anyone to prove the supernatural or supernatural abilities. No one has claimed it yet.
Interesting. I didn't know that.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I also am able to relate here. I've never been concerned about my appearance, but I have frequently been afraid to engage in conversations due to low self-esteem. I've also had severe anxiety hen I've been in uncomfortable situations.

Are you sure it’s low self-esteem or do you just not GAF about what others say or think? Society has conditioned us to believe that if we don’t look a certain way or behave in a certain fashion then there’s surely something wrong with us. If you’re uncomfortable in certain situations it might be the company and not you.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

My point was simply that more often than not we are our harshest critics.

I'm fully aware of what society, media and social media has done to both men and women in portraying how looks are more important than anything else.

For reference, there's a TV show in the UK called Love Island. It's a perfect example of where we are in society. I don't watch it btw.

The idea of the body beautiful has been around for some time but has different ideas of what beauty is.
Well, it's a sad and interesting thing.

Jessica Simpson did a really nice special a while back called "The Price of Beauty". She has had long standing issues weber self image (her weight particularly). She had just ended a relationship with a famous NFL player and I suspect it was a very cathartic experience for her on some level.

It is hard to navigate the lines of self image these days as the most beautiful folks arent the happiest either, which is conveniently left out of the images. After all, we project our own wants/desires on these beauty standards, causing more harm than good.

I'll share a story about pictures. I hated taking them as a child and used to mess a ton of them up on purpose. I had my own beef with my family of origin (which still exists) and that was the reason why I didn't like taking pictures. I changed when in high school and thumbing through one of my close friend's family albums. I learned perspective of how photos are markers during the life course.

Now, I'll take them. I still don't enjoy the fuss surrounding getting ready to take them, but I do take them. I just make sure that when I do, they're in a meaningful moment to me (a place I care about or with people I care about).

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Are you sure it’s low self-esteem or do you just not GAF about what others say or think? Society has conditioned us to believe that if we don’t look a certain way or behave in a certain fashion then there’s surely something wrong with us. If you’re uncomfortable in certain situations it might be the company and not you.
It can often be a mix of things. Which is why there are certain social scripts that are used to get through those initially awkward moments. If you know the scripts, it makes it easier to get by (which is why when people present differently than the script they use, it's seemingly so damaging).

The scripts are evolving so much now, primarily because of diversity. That can be anxiety inducing in and of itself.

Not everyone gives a ****, true. The not giving a **** seems appealing due to the media image of the Marlboro man type American independence, but as always that isn't as successful as it appears.

Anxiety on a certain level can be highly crippling, and if the underlying causes don't get addressed are devastating long term.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Hey Laura, I'm researching some high end headphones. I'm leaning towards some Sennheisers the HD 599s I tested in store yesterday that sang nicely with the G7+. I plan to use them with my LG phone, either it be a G7+/V35/V40.

I also was looking into the Sennheiser HD 569. Heard good things about the HD 598, but the price difference between the 598 and 599 is minimal so I wouldn't look at the 598. I'm hearing the 599 has a better soundstage and the 569 is technically balanced. I listen to all sorts of stuff so I want a pair of cans that let's me bounce between genres when I feel like it and to settle into stuff when I feel like it too.

I had messed around with some other stuff in store, with of course the Sony and Sennheisers working the best for me with the G7+.

The Sony's I have are OK. The GF can use those as they fold up and are more for casual listening. I plan to use mine for at home and travel but I needed something that's cleaner to better enjoy the music. The RHA's as daily drivers are enough for casual listening for me.

What are you using? Do you have any suggestions?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb