WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Nice! Let us know how it goes for you.
Initial impressions with the Gear Sport: love the hardware, meh about the software (seems to be a common Android complaint these days).

Hardware is nice. I can see why the Active was made though, as the casing is shiny and can scuff easily. It dresses up nicely and it's not as heavy as the S3/Galaxy Watch.

Pros:

- Rotating bezel is satisfying to use.

- Screen is sharp.

- Looks nice and is easy to dress up (leather, metal, wood, ceramic).

- Automatic (basic) workout detection is nice.

Meh:

- Battery life is hard to judge as it's a used unit (has a few small nicks in screen).

- Software. There are lots of features here. Just not a fan of some of the choices as I feel I'm doing one more step than I would on Android wear to get the same tasks accomplished. For example, not a fan of horizontal scrolling to view notifications (personal preference).

- Not interested in Samsung Health app (may still get it)

Cons:

- Software: wish the automatic workout was more extensive.

- Software: Watch requires too many apps (for my taste) the start using. 4 apps (!?)

- Charging: don't like how it uses Qi but I have to use the Samsung chargers. It's an older watch (I love that about the Active as that one works with my Qi pads)

Overall, it's more of a side grade. I can see why people will like Samsung watches, especially if used with Samsung devices. As a long time Android wear user, one can only look on lustfully to wonder how Wear OS would look on hardware like this.

I do feel better automatic workout detection and better voice assistant controls may be one way to move the smart watch segment forward.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Initial impressions with the Gear Sport: love the hardware, meh about the software (seems to be a common Android complaint these days).

Hardware is nice. I can see why the Active was made though, as the casing is shiny and can scuff easily. It dresses up nicely and it's not as heavy as the S3/Galaxy Watch.

Pros:

- Rotating bezel is satisfying to use.

- Screen is sharp.

- Looks nice and is easy to dress up (leather, metal, wood, ceramic).

- Automatic (basic) workout detection is nice.

Meh:

- Battery life is hard to judge as it's a used unit (has a few small nicks in screen).

- Software. There are lots of features here. Just not a fan of some of the choices as I feel I'm doing one more step than I would on Android wear to get the same tasks accomplished. For example, not a fan of horizontal scrolling to view notifications (personal preference).

- Not interested in Samsung Health app (may still get it)

Cons:

- Software: wish the automatic workout was more extensive.

- Software: Watch requires too many apps (for my taste) the start using. 4 apps (!?)

- Charging: don't like how it uses Qi but I have to use the Samsung chargers. It's an older watch (I love that about the Active as that one works with my Qi pads)

Overall, it's more of a side grade. I can see why people will like Samsung watches, especially if used with Samsung devices. As a long time Android wear user, one can only look on lustfully to wonder how Wear OS would look on hardware like this.

I do feel better automatic workout detection and better voice assistant controls may be one way to move the smart watch segment forward.

Thank you for this! It does sound like more of a side grade at this time. Funny that you mention the Active. I might see if I can try it out, since I like that the watch is smaller. The big watch face thing is not for me.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I guess I set myself up for this but I watched a movie called In a Relationship on Hulu, which followed 4 people in some kind of relationship. The two guys are best friends and the two girls are cousins and good friends. 2 of them are in a long term relationship and they feel like it hit a wall so the guy feels trapped in it. She asks him if they can move in together and everything changes. His friend on the other hand, wants what his friend has and gets something going with the girl's cousin. I don't want to spoil it so I will end there. Anyway, there's a quote that a character says which is, "Finding someone you actually connect with is really hard."

I thought that was so true, and it has me thinking a mix of thoughts related to that, especially since something surprising was shared with me recently. The movie just kinda brought it out. A thought I could share is, why is it so hard?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Thank you for this! It does sound like more of a side grade at this time. Funny that you mention the Active. I might see if I can try it out, since I like that the watch is smaller. The big watch face thing is not for me.
It is a tiny *** watch. Really is. If I get bored and end up in a Best Buy, I'll take a picture of one on my wrist. If you don't mind used and can get one in excellent shape for $135, it's a killer deal. If you've used or seen an Apple watch, it's a bit smaller than that.

Again, I don't mind the hardware on the Gear Sport, but some of the software things do irk me. Doubt my impressions will change much though, hence the detailed post.

If you've never had a smart watch, some of my gripes won't matter.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I guess I set myself up for this but I watched a movie called In a Relationship on Hulu, which followed 4 people in some kind of relationship. The two guys are best friends and the two girls are cousins and good friends. 2 of them are in a long term relationship and they feel like it hit a wall so the guy feels trapped in it. She asks him if they can move in together and everything changes. His friend on the other hand, wants what his friend has and gets something going with the girl's cousin. I don't want to spoil it so I will end there. Anyway, there's a quote that a character says which is, "Finding someone you actually connect with is really hard."

I thought that was so true, and it has me thinking a mix of thoughts related to that, especially since something surprising was shared with me recently. The movie just kinda brought it out. A thought I could share is, why is it so hard?
It's not easy indeed.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

It is a tiny *** watch. Really is. If I get bored and end up in a Best Buy, I'll take a picture of one on my wrist. If you don't mind used and can get one in excellent shape for $135, it's a killer deal. If you've used or seen an Apple watch, it's a bit smaller than that.

Again, I don't mind the hardware on the Gear Sport, but some of the software things do irk me. Doubt my impressions will change much though, hence the detailed post.

If you've never had a smart watch, some of my gripes won't matter.

Tiny sounds great to me, but I can understand how that would be an issue for you. Noted, that's good to know.

That is a bummer about the software :/ I think you will be right about how it would go for it.

I haven't had one really. I had a watch that was in between a smart watch and a regular watch, and it was okay so I'll take your word for it.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

It's not easy indeed.

Mhmm. After experiencing this, I don't think I get how people can be with people that they kind of connect with. I think it can work with friendships, but in a non-platonic context, I don't see how it can long term. I'm sure people have their reasons why (and maybe they didn't know it was possible really).

Also because of this, I have had moments of questioning if I did the right thing previously but I'm sure that I did because clashing values are real or at least they would have became very real. At this time, I don't have the headspace but I should in the summertime lol.*

*= I hope to anyway but we will see.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Tiny sounds great to me, but I can understand how that would be an issue for you. Noted, that's good to know.

That is a bummer about the software :/ I think you will be right about how it would go for it.

I haven't had one really. I had a watch that was in between a smart watch and a regular watch, and it was okay so I'll take your word for it.
It's best to figure out why you want a smart watch in the first place.

For me, I was on my phone way too much and needed a way to better triage my phone usage. Remember, I was using phones in the erawhere carriers hadn't flooded the market with them and you didn't see them so visible on public transportation. So a smartwatch allows me:

- to do less time wasting on my phone;

- also to use my phone more discreetly by offloading managing music apps;

- I also need a timepiece so I'm not looking at my phone for the time as it sends bad messages to clients.

- Plus, I've always worn watches, so it's an easy transition.

- At the time also, I was interested in fitness tracking.

All these reasons makes a smartwatch work for me. I just felt that as far as Google goes, didn't do a good job of getting the hardware to a point where Qualcomm couldn't be lazy and use old chips in watches. I liked lots of the 2.0 shift, but Google missed an opportunity with Wear that I don't know if they will or even care to get back.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Mhmm. After experiencing this, I don't think I get how people can be with people that they kind of connect with. I think it can work with friendships, but in a non-platonic context, I don't see how it can long term. I'm sure people have their reasons why (and maybe they didn't know it was possible really).

Also because of this, I have had moments of questioning if I did the right thing previously but I'm sure that I did because clashing values are real or at least they would have became very real. At this time, I don't have the headspace but I should in the summertime lol.*

*= I hope to anyway but we will see.
Well, the trick is about finding what the lessons are and applying them forward...not overthinking things.

People get together with others that have things they like and hope they can change the things in them they don't like. That doesn't always work, but we seem to like trying that.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

It's best to figure out why you want a smart watch in the first place.

For me, I was on my phone way too much and needed a way to better triage my phone usage. Remember, I was using phones in the erawhere carriers hadn't flooded the market with them and you didn't see them so visible on public transportation. So a smartwatch allows me:

- to do less time wasting on my phone;

- also to use my phone more discreetly by offloading managing music apps;

- I also need a timepiece so I'm not looking at my phone for the time as it sends bad messages to clients.

- Plus, I've always worn watches, so it's an easy transition.

- At the time also, I was interested in fitness tracking.

All these reasons makes a smartwatch work for me. I just felt that as far as Google goes, didn't do a good job of getting the hardware to a point where Qualcomm couldn't be lazy and use old chips in watches. I liked lots of the 2.0 shift, but Google missed an opportunity with Wear that I don't know if they will or even care to get back.

I can understand your reasons, thank you for sharing. You have stronger reasons than me. The reasons that come to mind for me is sleep tracking and it would be an additional way to show that I'm into tech really lol. I'm just very curious to see how that would work for me.

Also with preordering the S10e, it came with a gift certificate to the Samsung store and expires in 2+ months and can only be used on mobile accessories. The Buds are apparently bad for phone calls so I don't want those. Everything else isn't of interest to me since a lot of it can't be bought online (or I just wouldn't buy it anyway) and this watch seems to be the best bet.

Yeah, I agree, it really does seem like they did for sure :/

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Well, the trick is about finding what the lessons are and applying them forward...not overthinking things.

People get together with others that have things they like and hope they can change the things in them they don't like. That doesn't always work, but we seem to like trying that.

You're right. That's easier said than done lol.

True. I don't know if it works for me really, but I guess it depends on what the things are.

I have seen this succeed and fail on Married at First Sight this season that just ended. Succeed in the sense that there was a guy who didn't know how to cook and kept talking about his wife cooking for him. He was very annoying with that and she tried but said that she can't really do that long term. He felt encouraged by her to learn how to cook so he took cooking classes and is cooking as well for his wife. They were the best couple this season with being willing to change and grow.

Fail in the sense of a couple with two different expectations. She wanted him to have career goals and make the money so she tried. She is more of a physical type so she tried so much to encourage him to be too but he's more of a guy that needs deep conversation to get attraction and all of that going. He didn't change and they didn't stay together.

For me, it has failed. Way before I joined the community here, I was with a guy who was very intelligent but not motivated at all to do things. I was finishing up my degree so I hoped that some of the motivation of me doing that would inspire him to do the same. It did not work and I had frustration towards him for that reason and another thing I'll rather not get into. He said that he felt like he would not be able to live up to what I wanted.

The girl that came behind me though (like a few months later)? He was able to get motivated enough to do what I wanted him to do when we were together because he had reasons. At the time, that really hurt me so I think it's just not a thing that works for me.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Speaking of the S10e, I realized that it's been a month and a few days since switching to it so here's my experience/thoughts after a month.

-Updates have been fine actually, surprisingly. There was an update after I set up the phone with the February patch and then recently, there's been another one with the March patch. (Note that I have the unlocked model.)

-Battery life is still working for me. It still feels slightly better than what I remember of the iPhone X. It's not amazing for me but I don't find myself with battery life frustrations. The only time I do is when I decide to play a game lol.

-Signal/connectivity has been mostly good. Every now and then, I have the minor issue of not receiving the two factor authentication (this has happened when connected to data and wifi as well) so I have to toggle airplane mode for it to appear. That's been a little annoying but it doesn't happen often enough to be annoying.

-As I said previously, zoom and low light can be a bad combo since the camera goes to town with sharpening. I still have Gcam installed but I use it when I believe it is necessary. Video seems to be pretty good for the time I used it.

-It's been nice to not have to clear the cache for multiple apps anymore (this was an A3 issue) but I still do it for Tapatalk because that app can be a bug.

-The size is great, and even now, I'm still pleased that this phone is real and I finally don't need to compromise on the size anymore. Pocketability is similar to my iPhone X, but slightly better.

-The night mode working all over the OS is great. I don't even miss the light theme that I prefer.

I don't regret the deal that I got for the S10e or the purchase. I would have changed the phone that I traded in though.

Edit: As for the carrier switch and going down in data, the billing cycle recently ended and I realized that I finally have the perfect amount of data for myself. Not too much and not too little.

Last edited:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Taken using telephoto lens via S10+
Auto tuned by Google Photos
76efd9a70a46f877869bc0826b3bc991.jpg

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Played with a G8 today in B&H. Man, it looks boring as F in black. The G7 had more personality in black (not by much). V40 and V35 also looked better in black comparatively. If I got one, I'd get it in red, blue, silver (most underrated color of their 2017 models), black in that order.

Wanted to fondle the XZ3 again but these two sales reps were standing yapping in front of it.

Thoughts: if I was going from a V20 to a G8, (outside of the removable battery), this is the first carrier phone I'd buy (especially at the T-mobile launch price) in a long time. Phone is very nice. Having used a G7/V35, there's no reason for me to upgrade. You pick this up on a sale and it's a great buy. You buy this for the $800+ they want and you're asked to get your *** handed to you.

Very good effort, but because LG is so bad at software support, people will ***** as to how ****ty the air gestures are and dismiss the phone outright.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

You're right. That's easier said than done lol.

True. I don't know if it works for me really, but I guess it depends on what the things are.

I have seen this succeed and fail on Married at First Sight this season that just ended. Succeed in the sense that there was a guy who didn't know how to cook and kept talking about his wife cooking for him. He was very annoying with that and she tried but said that she can't really do that long term. He felt encouraged by her to learn how to cook so he took cooking classes and is cooking as well for his wife. They were the best couple this season with being willing to change and grow.

Fail in the sense of a couple with two different expectations. She wanted him to have career goals and make the money so she tried. She is more of a physical type so she tried so much to encourage him to be too but he's more of a guy that needs deep conversation to get attraction and all of that going. He didn't change and they didn't stay together.

For me, it has failed. Way before I joined the community here, I was with a guy who was very intelligent but not motivated at all to do things. I was finishing up my degree so I hoped that some of the motivation of me doing that would inspire him to do the same. It did not work and I had frustration towards him for that reason and another thing I'll rather not get into. He said that he felt like he would not be able to live up to what I wanted.

The girl that came behind me though (like a few months later)? He was able to get motivated enough to do what I wanted him to do when we were together because he had reasons. At the time, that really hurt me so I think it's just not a thing that works for me.
Sometimes we move the needle forward for the other person, even when things don't work out for us to see the benefits. Sometimes we remind the other person of what it means to be loved and treated equally, even though it didn't work out with us. Sometimes we're just another passing face in the soap opera that is called their "mired existence". Nothing we can do there.

It's what makes this situation a wonderful frustration. I read an old statistic eons ago where someone can "fall in love" on "average" between 5-7 times over the course of their life. If so, that's a lot of resilience needed to work through that.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I can understand your reasons, thank you for sharing. You have stronger reasons than me. The reasons that come to mind for me is sleep tracking and it would be an additional way to show that I'm into tech really lol. I'm just very curious to see how that would work for me.

Also with preordering the S10e, it came with a gift certificate to the Samsung store and expires in 2+ months and can only be used on mobile accessories. The Buds are apparently bad for phone calls so I don't want those. Everything else isn't of interest to me since a lot of it can't be bought online (or I just wouldn't buy it anyway) and this watch seems to be the best bet.

Yeah, I agree, it really does seem like they did for sure :/
Google and Android Wear = MSFT and mobile versions of Windows.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Sometimes we move the needle forward for the other person, even when things don't work out for us to see the benefits. Sometimes we remind the other person of what it means to be loved and treated equally, even though it didn't work out with us. Sometimes we're just another passing face in the soap opera that is called their "mired existence". Nothing we can do there.

It's what makes this situation a wonderful frustration. I read an old statistic eons ago where someone can "fall in love" on "average" between 5-7 times over the course of their life. If so, that's a lot of resilience needed to work through that.

Ah, this is a true point. I'll keep that viewpoint in mind.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)