WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Glad to hear this.
I could nitpick and say that if the V35's radios were in the G7 +, that would have been perfect, but I won't do that. I do prefer how Wear OS handles individual notifications than Tizen, but the Gear Sport has been nice to use.

No distractions, really.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

So here's the weather we're having here. Whole weekend is like this.

ace846f134e601d505cbd1196e49228e.jpg

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

On another curious note I'm at work today. Which is an odd thing for me. Apparently Good Friday isn't a holiday for most of France but the Monday is. So still a long weekend just not the usual four day I'm used to.

Last edited:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Okay so here is my S10+ (sorta mini) review.

Design
I love the S10+ design. In fact I would say since the S7edge Samsung designs have been quite good. The hardware is superb, in hard ergonomics are great barring the power button. And now that the Bixby button can be remapped even that annoyance has been reduced to a non issue. The overall weight and balance of the device is superb. The shiny aluminum rail with the double glass sandwich construction looks great. I got the Prism White and it is subtle compared to my Lilac Purple S9. Build quality is great, I dropped the phone into a stream in Ojai. Just picked it up, wiped it. Blew out the water from the USB-C port and speaker grille and headphone jack. Left it to dry for 10 minutes on the car dash in the hot sun and it has been chugging along just fine in the past 4 weeks.

Display
Samsung displays are always great. No wonder Apple and Google both use them in their smartphones. I like the Natural look on this Dynamic AMOLED display. Took a bit of getting used to versus the Vivid on the S8 and S9. But now I like it. Also it has a tru tone type filter baked in and IMO does a slightly better job than my Xr.

Battery Life
At 4100 mAh capacity there is absolutely no risk of running out of juice on this device. Also the radios are far superior to my Xr and Pixel 3XL so it maintains signal and thereby loses even less during standby at work where I have crappy signal. I do not game but use the phone mostly for calls, texts, browser, forums, etc and this phone easily gets about 3-4 hour SOT with about 45-50% to spare at the end of the day. It is easily a 1.5 day phone and I usually charge it every other day or a bit of top up here and there.

Performance
SD855, 8GB RAM, enough said. This is the first processor where the Android phone feels as fast and fluid as a fruit stand offering. No issues with stuttering, lag, reboots etc here. And props to Samsung for the One UI, it is actually great to use. No complaints from this Pixel user.

Camera
It is VERY good - not great. It is extremely versatile, which is what I love. I am constantly taking pictures with this phone using the various lenses. In broad daylight, I would say this is the camera to beat. Perhaps the P30 can give it a run for it's money in terms of versatility. For low light pictures, I still prefer the Pixel and same goes for the selfie camera. I do miss the more accurate detail preservation of the Pixel 3XL though. Video is great, slow motion in 4K is superb (I have been using this feature quite a bit lately).

Audio
Speakers are louder than the stereo front facing ones on my Pixel 3XL and louder than the Xr. Headphone jack is present which in itself is great. Dolby Atmos works quite very well on this device and I use it whilst watching Netflix. Because of the fairly large screen I find myself watching videos a bit more on this phone.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Okay so here is my S10+ (sorta mini) review.

Design
I love the S10+ design. In fact I would say since the S7edge Samsung designs have been quite good. The hardware is superb, in hard ergonomics are great barring the power button. And now that the Bixby button can be remapped even that annoyance has been reduced to a non issue. The overall weight and balance of the device is superb. The shiny aluminum rail with the double glass sandwich construction looks great. I got the Prism White and it is subtle compared to my Lilac Purple S9. Build quality is great, I dropped the phone into a stream in Ojai. Just picked it up, wiped it. Blew out the water from the USB-C port and speaker grille and headphone jack. Left it to dry for 10 minutes on the car dash in the hot sun and it has been chugging along just fine in the past 4 weeks.

Display
Samsung displays are always great. No wonder Apple and Google both use them in their smartphones. I like the Natural look on this Dynamic AMOLED display. Took a bit of getting used to versus the Vivid on the S8 and S9. But now I like it. Also it has a tru tone type filter baked in and IMO does a slightly better job than my Xr.

Battery Life
At 4100 mAh capacity there is absolutely no risk of running out of juice on this device. Also the radios are far superior to my Xr and Pixel 3XL so it maintains signal and thereby loses even less during standby at work where I have crappy signal. I do not game but use the phone mostly for calls, texts, browser, forums, etc and this phone easily gets about 3-4 hour SOT with about 45-50% to spare at the end of the day. It is easily a 1.5 day phone and I usually charge it every other day or a bit of top up here and there.

Performance
SD855, 8GB RAM, enough said. This is the first processor where the Android phone feels as fast and fluid as a fruit stand offering. No issues with stuttering, lag, reboots etc here. And props to Samsung for the One UI, it is actually great to use. No complaints from this Pixel user.

Camera
It is VERY good - not great. It is extremely versatile, which is what I love. I am constantly taking pictures with this phone using the various lenses. In broad daylight, I would say this is the camera to beat. Perhaps the P30 can give it a run for it's money in terms of versatility. For low light pictures, I still prefer the Pixel and same goes for the selfie camera. I do miss the more accurate detail preservation of the Pixel 3XL though. Video is great, slow motion in 4K is superb (I have been using this feature quite a bit lately).

Audio
Speakers are louder than the stereo front facing ones on my Pixel 3XL and louder than the Xr. Headphone jack is present which in itself is great. Dolby Atmos works quite very well on this device and I use it whilst watching Netflix. Because of the fairly large screen I find myself watching videos a bit more on this phone.

This was worth the wait, thank you!
Considering that you already have the Pixel 3XL, would you care to try the GCam port?

Aside from that question, it sounds like it can be worth keeping in your rotation considering how well it's been for you.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

This was worth the wait, thank you!
Considering that you already have the Pixel 3XL, would you care to try the GCam port?

Aside from that question, it sounds like it can be worth keeping in your rotation considering how well it's been for you.

Haven't decided if I want to try the GCam port on it or not. The camera is for the most part really good in daylight. Speaking of rotation, I am getting a lot of devices next week and then a few more about 4 weeks after that so we will have to see. I am surprised that I have stayed away from a Pixel as a daily driver for about 6 months now.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Went for a walk today with the kids and the clouds looked interesting so took a picture on the 3XL and it is my current wallpaper on the bathtub notch device.
a61e5d868b88b2944be3b0be452f305d.jpg

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Finally got our coffee machine up and running. First cappuccinos at home in over 1 1/2 years.

I'm so rusty at this it's not even funny...

0ab5d90d7312f316b2cd2508f3f28881.jpg

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

https://amp.tomsguide.com/us/lg-smartphone-problem,news-29906.html

I find it interesting that people keep using Oneplus as a great benchmark for LG to compete with. It's disappointing, really. The same Oneplus that abandoned the OP2 and OPX software wise. The same one will all those stunts and shat on their customers. While they have matured, I still don't see them as some shinning example.

Oneplus still has the backing of OPPO, a part of the BBK group. I'm curious to see what Oneplus does for this year as quite frankly, they may have bitten off more than they can chew if they do multiple phones this year.

Bet you these people will say the same about Google as a comparison point for LG to be like when they get in the midrange game this year. This the same Google that their Pixel phones are known for two things - great cameras and quality control issues (Pixel - lens flare; Pixel 2 - screen; Pixel 3 - microphone). Still think Google is biting off more than they can chew here. Didn't MSFT get into the whole idea of making hardware as reference points for their partners too? How has that been?

LG is still doing just fine in the budget segment with the Stylo series offering a good amount of phone for a small amount of money.

My personal option has been that LG needs a better auto mode for the camera and better software update policy and better marketing. I have no regrets with any LG device I've owned (G4, V20, G7+, V35). I don't think their skin is THAT bad, but the icons need to be updated and it feels like they need to settle down on a better overall look for their skin. Something that allows for better updates. I'd prefer more security patches even if they plan to only offer major OS updates periodically (Xioami).

They just need a better strategy, really. The same rules apply for Sony as well. I'd say HTC but even now I doubt they can turn things around.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Perception sells, really.

Lots of companies who innovate ideas don't always get to keep them moving forward.

To me what's happened now is brand loyalty is stronger than ever in a saturated market. There is no reason to spend 1K for a Samsung or Apple or Huawei phone if you're not balling in that bracket or desperate to pay via installments to "keep up with the Joneses". Most people who buy a brand, stick with it. The issue is that once the loyalist base gets smaller for a company, then there isn't much to do. Those who don't know about brands are often sh

The GF uses Samsung products. I plan to get her a tablet and it'll likely be a Samsung one. Why not get her a Mi Pad or a MediaPad? I know she's not going to like the skin and she's not a Nova/3rd party launcher person. So familiarity works for her. Lots of people are like that. Which is why Samsung worked that hard back in the day (and why Huawei has done the same now) to position themselves as a familiar option to Apple. Creating mindshare a certain way build brand loyalty.

LG, Sony, HTC can innovate just fine. They just haven't evolved how they create mindshare. Plus, everyone knows much people don't make money in Android anyways. That's why Xiaomi has done well - making solid hardware accessible in an affordable way and make revenue in other ways.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So if LG, HTC, Sony, HMD stop making phones...who does that really hurt? The influences will say no one, I'd say the consumers. In any capitalistic market, more competition produces better products.

I'd hate to be stuck only choosing between Apple and Samsung here in the US.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720