WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

So if LG, HTC, Sony, HMD stop making phones...who does that really hurt? The influences will say no one, I'd say the consumers. In any capitalistic market, more competition produces better products.

I'd hate to be stuck only choosing between Apple and Samsung here in the US.
I understand that price is a thing. A very important thing. I just wished that some of these paid influences called things for what they were. Specialized phones are helpful in the market as is the mass appeal products. I don't get comparing a specialized phone to a mass marketed phone because they love in the same price range. Again, maybe it's just me.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So HMD pushed out an update for the 9 to improve the fingerprint reader. I'm not sure they can do much to improve the processing speed for the photos, but we will see.

I'm still open to getting one, to collect, but I'm in no rush.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So if LG, HTC, Sony, HMD stop making phones...who does that really hurt? The influences will say no one, I'd say the consumers. In any capitalistic market, more competition produces better products.

I'd hate to be stuck only choosing between Apple and Samsung here in the US.

I agree with you. Choice is good to have.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

https://amp.tomsguide.com/us/lg-smartphone-problem,news-29906.html

I find it interesting that people keep using Oneplus as a great benchmark for LG to compete with. It's disappointing, really. The same Oneplus that abandoned the OP2 and OPX software wise. The same one will all those stunts and shat on their customers. While they have matured, I still don't see them as some shinning example.

Oneplus still has the backing of OPPO, a part of the BBK group. I'm curious to see what Oneplus does for this year as quite frankly, they may have bitten off more than they can chew if they do multiple phones this year.

Bet you these people will say the same about Google as a comparison point for LG to be like when they get in the midrange game this year. This the same Google that their Pixel phones are known for two things - great cameras and quality control issues (Pixel - lens flare; Pixel 2 - screen; Pixel 3 - microphone). Still think Google is biting off more than they can chew here. Didn't MSFT get into the whole idea of making hardware as reference points for their partners too? How has that been?

LG is still doing just fine in the budget segment with the Stylo series offering a good amount of phone for a small amount of money.

My personal option has been that LG needs a better auto mode for the camera and better software update policy and better marketing. I have no regrets with any LG device I've owned (G4, V20, G7+, V35). I don't think their skin is THAT bad, but the icons need to be updated and it feels like they need to settle down on a better overall look for their skin. Something that allows for better updates. I'd prefer more security patches even if they plan to only offer major OS updates periodically (Xioami).

They just need a better strategy, really. The same rules apply for Sony as well. I'd say HTC but even now I doubt they can turn things around.

I think you raise a great point here about OnePlus having backing and LG just having themselves. I feel like I have seen and heard a lot about their Stylo phones.

Saying that they should stop making phones like this article says is silly. I saw an article yesterday on PhoneArena with the leaders in the US in the last quarter or so, and I believe it said that LG is in third place. Is it worth it to give up if you're in third place?

The article: https://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-iPhones-vs-Samsung-vs-LG-Motorola-US-phone-sales_id115431

I do agree with you on them having a better strategy though. They should do that. On the note about the cost and the article putting them with OnePlus, makes me think of a video I watched about a smaller YouTuber's video criticizing MKBHD's review of the G8. No need to see the whole video (unless you want to, that is) but the point he raised was about how he (MKBHD) rated the sound quality with comparing it to the XS Max, which was a poor idea considering how much more that phone costs.

https://youtu.be/QZVGW9VkeGI

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I think you raise a great point here about OnePlus having backing and LG just having themselves. I feel like I have seen and heard a lot about their Stylo phones.

Saying that they should stop making phones like this article says is silly. I saw an article yesterday on PhoneArena with the leaders in the US in the last quarter or so, and I believe it said that LG is in third place. Is it worth it to give up if you're in third place?

The article: https://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-iPhones-vs-Samsung-vs-LG-Motorola-US-phone-sales_id115431

I do agree with you on them having a better strategy though. They should do that. On the note about the cost and the article putting them with OnePlus, makes me think of a video I watched about a smaller YouTuber's video criticizing MKBHD's review of the G8. No need to see the whole video (unless you want to, that is) but the point he raised was about how he (MKBHD) rated the sound quality with comparing it to the XS Max, which was a poor idea considering how much more that phone costs.

Let's be honest here. Many of the larger YouTube influencers do overviews and not full reviews. In my opinion, MKBHD, Pocketnow, Android Authority, Droid Life, Booredatwork, etc do more overviews than full reviews. Next level are the GeekyRanjit, Michael Fisher, C4ETech, Uravgconsumer, Josh V., Dave2D, Matthew Moniz, Tech Tablets, etc. These guys still do an overview, but you start to see a deeper look at a device.

Next level are the Flossy Carters, Max Lee (HighonAndroid). Again, still in an overview style, but they do an even deeper dive into the device. You see a bit more of a practical use in the testing.

For me, the people who are more reviewers are the Juan Bagnells, J. Williams, Damir Franc (the Nitpicker), Eric from Eazy Computer Solutions, etc. These folks put out multiple videos (or one very extended video) , diving into features over extended time periods of devices.

Again, this is my opinion.

I don't hate on anyone, but all reviews are subjective. Everyone plays to a different audoence. The smartest thing to do is to figure out what you want in a device and be objective in your research. The problem is that people push what they like on others.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I unsubbed from MKBHD years ago. His production is awesome, but that's about it for me. He's got a well known (coming from his mouth too) bias towards LG. While he give comments on this video tk try to take the criticism in stride, he still does overviews - never deep dives. That's because you can tell in the length of a video who does overviews and who does deep dives.

He also lost respect from me during the Oneplus 3T days when he took that deal with Oneplus to give away 500 units while the damn phone was on backorder for weeks due to supply issues.

Again, everyone hustles differently, but people gotta be smart when looking at these influencers.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I have enjoyed all of Juan Bagnell's LG G8 videos. But this new one was a bit better than the one posted by the Tech Rant guy.

Oh and speaking of G8, I am probably getting one. Having seen a few reviews/videos, the camera is actually quite good.

https://youtu.be/9_aPQixFM2M

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Have to be honest here I didn't look at YouTube reviews until recently.

My opinion on reviews and reviewers in general is similar to. MIA here.

At this moment in time phones are hard to distinguish between each other and most ordinary people get used to things so they like sticking to them.

There is brand loyalty but we should look at the reality of how most humans behave. We don't like change that much, we like them to work, we like certain looks, etc. In general smartphones haven't changed much since the first ones came out. And I'm not even referring to touch screen here.

So yeah you can have reviews all you want but on the whole most people will buy what's popular or what they're used to.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I have enjoyed all of Juan Bagnell's LG G8 videos. But this new one was a bit better than the one posted by the Tech Rant guy.

Oh and speaking of G8, I am probably getting one. Having seen a few reviews/videos, the camera is actually quite good.

He's been doing a lot of this lately, which is great. I do think the G8 is a really, really good offering - and for some a great fit. Coming from anything not 2017, it makes sense. But the 2017 models are very solid - especially the V40.

My issue has been the same - LG and software are updates. With what I've seen on the G8, I'm not rushing for Pie though. Camera wise, LG makes some weird *** decisions with the camera app software. The dropped the ability to switch lens while recording video, so Laura can start a video in wide angle and swap into regular mode without stopping the video to do so. Now I'm hearing that they dropped log support in the V40 and G8. I honestly think that LG should just state: "if you care about audio and content creation, pick us". Then streamline the camera app and keep it feature stuffed. Huawei is doing some nice things in photography, but video is still a weak point (and may always be). Samsung dropped pro mode from video (WTF?);Google never had one. We don't know what HMD is doing in the video department. HTC finally has competitive cameras but it feels too little too late. Sony is still being Sony, but we hope that bringing more help from the Alpha division makes their cameras more interesting. Oneplus has good cameras, but they are stuck to whatever chassis for that year OPPO created. There is a nice case and space that LG can make, even with everyone using wide angle lenses now.

Go to quarterly security patch updates. Update the icons. Again, I don't mind LG being funky, but make a great case so it can be fun. Hand ID they should definitely keep and make better. Focus on not having the range of motion so tight and the gestures more natural. Again, something different but useful.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Have to be honest here I didn't look at YouTube reviews until recently.

My opinion on reviews and reviewers in general is similar to. MIA here.

At this moment in time phones are hard to distinguish between each other and most ordinary people get used to things so they like sticking to them.

There is brand loyalty but we should look at the reality of how most humans behave. We don't like change that much, we like the to work, we like certain looks, etc. In general smartphones haven't changed much since the first ones cane out. And in not even referring to touch screen here.

So yeah you can have reviews all you want but on the whole most people will buy what's popular or what they're used to.
I look at YouTubers for one thing - entertainment. I watch Michael Fisher because his production is as good as mkbhd, but I enjoy his narrative style more. I watch Flossy Carter because his NY hustle is a great reminder of the city and he uses lots of real world uses for devices. I watch Max Lee and C4ETech because they are geeks about the tech and can actual mod phones (especially Max). I watch Damir because his take is for answering the purchasing question of value for money and getting the most phone for what you are willing to pay for. I watch Juan Bagnell and J. Williams/Eazy Computer Solutions because they're more about really using a phone for its full features once it has been purchased.

It's all entertainment. Very rarely I'll by a product based on a YouTube recommendation because I know what I'm looking for anyways.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Just a start. Claude Monet"s house
c477bc4f6ddc8a1e56ddfdb7d9e87bc1.jpg

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Finally watching this (it seems like since you shared this here, YouTube has been recommending this video to me continuously) and I appreciate his viewpoint and the way he does reviews (ditto what MIA said about him basically lol). I do appreciate that he said it competes with the S10 (regular) and how it does. I feel like a good amount of people are forgetting about that version.

I'm subscribed to him but I don't really watch as much since he does a lot of live videos (and some stuff I'm not interested in) and I don't really watch those so I'm generally late to the party on his videos. I'll have to check out his other LG G8 videos as I have only watched one aside from this one.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Finally watching this (it seems like since you shared this here, YouTube has been recommending this video to me continuously) and I appreciate his viewpoint and the way he does reviews (ditto what MIA said about him basically lol). I do appreciate that he said it competes with the S10 (regular) and how it does. I feel like a good amount of people are forgetting about that version.

I'm subscribed to him but I don't really watch as much since he does a lot of live videos (and some stuff I'm not interested in) and I don't really watch those so I'm generally late to the party on his videos. I'll have to check out his other LG G8 videos as I have only watched one aside from this one.
Some people are ****ting on the G8 because they are comparing it to both the XR and the S10e. It should be compared to the X/XS and the S10 instead.

Again, the brand hatred is annoying.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

So my opinion on Monet's garden.

It's a lovely place spoiled by tourism. Like a lot of places these days.

There were just too many people to enjoy the place.

If you're ever thinking of going here, go on a weekday and possibly off peak. The unfortunate part is you won't see the garden at it's best but would be able to enjoy it more.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I look at YouTubers for one thing - entertainment. I watch Michael Fisher because his production is as good as mkbhd, but I enjoy his narrative style more. I watch Flossy Carter because his NY hustle is a great reminder of the city and he uses lots of real world uses for devices. I watch Max Lee and C4ETech because they are geeks about the tech and can actual mod phones (especially Max). I watch Damir because his take is for answering the purchasing question of value for money and getting the most phone for what you are willing to pay for. I watch Juan Bagnell and J. Williams/Eazy Computer Solutions because they're more about really using a phone for its full features once it has been purchased.

It's all entertainment. Very rarely I'll by a product based on a YouTube recommendation because I know what I'm looking for anyways.
I don't know how you have time to watch all those reviewers...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

So I'm sort of narrowing in on the Sony ZX3 as a possible replacement for my phone.

I have to admit I don't like everything about it. But I like more about it than other phones.

It's sort of a comfort thing. Sort of the devil you know.

I'm a bit annoyed about the lack of 3.5mn but that's reality. I don't like the fingerprint placement.

I do like most everything else though. I'm used to Sony.

The Huawei P20 Pro did interest me but not sure I could get used to the launcher. I know I could change it but I dislike the idea of having to do that when buying a phone. I like changing launchers because I feel like it not because I have to.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I don't know how you have time to watch all those reviewers...
I watch a lot less YouTube these days, actually. I don't watch every video from everyone I've mentioned either. Some of the people I've mentioned I don't follow their channels anymore either.

I think that it is actually harder to get a feel of a device from watching YouTube than ever before because of the biases. It why I'm glad I'm essentially out of the enthusiasts market now. While there are devices I would try if given the opportunity to do so, I'm not cutting corners and busting my *** to get them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99