WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

So WhatsApp decided to end support for Windows Phone after December 31. They had a good run but it's still sad.

My dad will have to change now, since that's the only app he uses really. I don't even know if Android is really the best option for him as a Microsoft user with Outlook email addresses and occasionally adding contacts to his phone. I wonder how the Outlook app is now with connecting to the phone contacts.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I think I just might but I need some camera comparisons to make me actually do it. The purple is really unique so that one is probably the most interesting.

Edit: On second thought, the white is kind of drawing me in. I don't like yellow on a daily device lol.

Seeing the camera comparisons is interesting. I really like the improved colors but I'm considering changing my mind with getting one.

The height difference between the S10e and the Pixel 3a is great. I see that they are essentially the same width which is great but I really like the smallness of the S10e to fit in pockets and how the UI seems to help with the size. I don't think I can get myself to give that up. It can probably work for me, but I would notice the pocket difference immediately in the way I did when I had the Xr, even though that was also really wide.

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Google-Pixel-3a,Samsung-Galaxy-S10e/phones/11060,11114

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

So WhatsApp decided to end support for Windows Phone after December 31. They had a good run but it's still sad.

My dad will have to change now, since that's the only app he uses really. I don't even know if Android is really the best option for him as a Microsoft user with Outlook email addresses and occasionally adding contacts to his phone. I wonder how the Outlook app is now with connecting to the phone contacts.
The Outlook app will sync contacts. If he uses whatever MS email to set up the phone then it will sync everything without issues.

The main thing with contacts is ensuring that the account they're associated with is linked in the app and set to sync.

Best thing to do is try it with an old phone to ensure it works but I don't think the issues that were around in the past exist anymore.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Unfortunately, this is true about options. I'm amazed that there's even 3 to start with in this category. I wish her good luck and I hope that she'll be able to make the choice before her phone does it for her
She actually needs a larger phone but refuses to get one because of the issue of carrying it around she doesn't typically carry a bag so it comes down to pockets. Which in women's clothing is hit and miss.

The state of the mobile market is pretty depressing and a touch boring but that was bound to happen.

It's sad when you think there's really only one OEM in Android putting out what most people consider an 'everyday' phone currently.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

The Outlook app will sync contacts. If he uses whatever MS email to set up the phone then it will sync everything without issues.

The main thing with contacts is ensuring that the account they're associated with is linked in the app and set to sync.

Best thing to do is try it with an old phone to ensure it works but I don't think the issues that were around in the past exist anymore.

Okay, this is good to know, thank you. My dad never uses the calendar so I think he should be good to go.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

She actually needs a larger phone but refuses to get one because of the issue of carrying it around she doesn't typically carry a bag so it comes down to pockets. Which in women's clothing is hit and miss.

The state of the mobile market is pretty depressing and a touch boring but that was bound to happen.

It's sad when you think there's really only one OEM in Android putting out what most people consider an 'everyday' phone currently.

Ooh okay. I can believe and understand this. The S10e is the only one I would recommend with this issue. It doesn't work as well as the XZ1 Compact in size but aside from the XZ2 Compact, that's it. The Pixel 3a is much longer.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Ooh okay. I can believe and understand this. The S10e is the only one I would recommend with this issue. It doesn't work as well as the XZ1 Compact in size but aside from the XZ2 Compact, that's it. The Pixel 3a is much longer.

S10e is probably the only compact phone worth recommending on the Android side. There might be a few Chinese devices but software support will be horrible and the camera will be way worse than Samsung.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

The other two compact phones (albeit slightly larger than S10e) are
https://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Google-Pixel-3a,LG-G8-ThinQ/phones/11060,11095

And I am getting both of them. The LG G8 ThinQ just got delivered at home and I placed the order for the 3a in White with T-Mobile a few minutes ago.

Looking forward to trying both of them out.

Cool beans, give us the skinny on them. I’ve gone compact myself but it’s more for health reasons than anything else. My RA has become very aggressive and it hurts my thumbs to reach across large screens. I’m rocking the smallest iPhone and the largest iPad. The XZ2 Compact may be going on eBay, still undecided.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

What's worse than leaving off the 3.5mm jack on a phone? Putting on one with a bad dac and amp. I'm glad that most OEMs who gave up on audio axed the port on their high end models. I blame Google for not having a consistent USB-C audio standard though.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Two new goodies that I hope will pair together nicely. MEE X1 earbuds and LG G8 ThinQ.
f55af16a43dc78b877e6ea0e03e208c1.jpg
d456fa839d7858531e92838cd11089a7.jpg

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Damn,damn, damn, these MEE X1 IEMs are great. And for $12, they were a bargain!
They sound really good with the S10+ but they sound amazing with the LG G8 ThinQ.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

In my limited time with the LG G7, I really liked it. Size was perfect, screen was good,camera was so-so, battery life was meh and the audio was first rate.

G8 gets just the right improvements.
Screen went to OLED and has ambient light mode which is great - I think it can compete well with the S10+
Camera is actually improved, I will post some pictures from my hike tomorrow.
Battery life should be better because OLED and a 10% capacity bump.
And they are probably one of the few OEMs left not messing around with the headphone jack so kudos to them.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Also took a couple of pictures of the hills behind the work building (the same ones that were on fire in December 2017).

Regular and wide angle lens on the G8.
c9460cc73bd7a31bf855479fee0f4c14.jpg
0b5b18d019f7e30c152b8e76f7ac05da.jpg

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

In my limited time with the LG G7, I really liked it. Size was perfect, screen was good,camera was so-so, battery life was meh and the audio was first rate.

G8 gets just the right improvements.
Screen went to OLED and has ambient light mode which is great - I think it can compete well with the S10+
Camera is actually improved, I will post some pictures from my hike tomorrow.
Battery life should be better because OLED and a 10% capacity bump.
And they are probably one of the few OEMs left not messing around with the headphone jack so kudos to them.
I'm curious about the V50. I prefer the DAC on the V-series better than that on the G-series.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm curious about the V50. I prefer the DAC on the V-series better than that on the G-series.
This was what I was really going to get this year. I decided to pass on it though, because I'm not sure that outside of maybe the sensor size it will be an upgrade from the 2017 hardware I have for the price/waiting game.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Well, we will see how I get on with this Mate. I can tell you it's not going to be a daily driver (the Porsche models had a better shot of that).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb