WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Oh, this would include Honor as well, being a Huawei sub-brand. I knew my Mate was a collector's piece, but now I need to confirm what software version I'm on.

That would suck. My brother in law has a Honor 8 so I don't think he would be pleased with this.

Will this possibly affect your setup?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

That would suck. My brother in law has a Honor 8 so I don't think he would be pleased with this.

Will this possibly affect your setup?
Nope. Because I was never planning to use it as a daily driver. Mine is on Pie, with the Jan 2019 patch. I may just grab a few more apps today and turn off the auto update in the event this doesn't work and Huawei pushes out its home-grown OS to Mate users.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Well, I guess if Google does band Huawei, I wonder what it does to the resale market on Swappa...
Or what does this do for accessories? I was all set to get one of their annoyingly expensive nano SD cards. Guess I'll just do the old manual back ups for my photos. I think I have enough screen protectors to get me by.

Does this mean I will still be allowed to use the phone on these US networks? I think so, but I am very curious now.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Or what does this do for accessories? I was all set to get one of their annoyingly expensive nano SD cards. Guess I'll just do the old manual back ups for my photos. I think I have enough screen protectors to get me by.

Does this mean I will still be allowed to use the phone on these US networks? I think so, but I am very curious now.
Guess this means I may have to bring my V35 along to the wedding.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Welp. I wonder if this is just for future phones or for all phones, including the Honor line.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/...-to-google-services-including-the-play-store/

So far the information is that current phones are fine, it's only future phones.

Though they're making a big thing out of phones they haven't mentioned laptops or anything else other than 5G network infrastructure.

I'm not sure how convinced I am about the Chinese government using Huawei is but I guess it's no different than the USA using it's tech companies...

China has issues, there's no doubt but this is looks more and more like the US trying to cripple China because they're scared of them being better (stronger) than the US...

Typical.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So far the information is that current phones are fine, it's only future phones.

Though they're making a big thing out of phones they haven't mentioned laptops or anything else other than 5G network infrastructure.

I'm not sure how convinced I am about the Chinese government using Huawei is but I guess it's no different than the USA using it's tech companies...

China has issues, there's no doubt but this is looks more and more like the US trying to cripple China because they're scared of them being better (stronger) than the US...

Typical.
https://www.phonearena.com/news/Qualcomm-Intel-Broadcom-chips-Huawei_id116152

There goes the laptops, if accurate...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Ah yes, I did read that and forgot.

I really am curious to know if there is a 'real threat' to security from China and Huawei.

Not saying that China is an innocent country or any other country for that matter. I'm just curious to know what have they found that makes them believe that China can do what the US and other countries are stating.

Huawei says that it can't be done but I haven't seen proof one way or the other.

Or is this more fear mongering by the US? More strong arm tactics, etc.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

So what I've read so far is that if there is proof it's not known publicly what that proof is.

Second, because of supply chains in China and elsewhere the products can't be trusted because it's possible that a vulnerability has been put in by someone else.

Lastly, the concern that the Chinese government has an interest in having close ties to Huawei and promoting the company.

So, lots of smoke but not much fire. Lots of talk about 'concerns' but that could be true of any piece of tech from any manufacturer.

To me it's purely part of the overall attack on trade with China and of course a distraction to whatever else is happening in the US. I wonder what the GOP is up now.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I hate when you buy a fresh food product and then you get a coupon for exactly what you bought hours after buying it.

You can't return ready made stuff lol. I guess I have to decide if I will use it or not since I only have 4 days to do it.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So what I've read so far is that if there is proof it's not known publicly what that proof is.

Second, because of supply chains in China and elsewhere the products can't be trusted because it's possible that a vulnerability has been put in by someone else.

Lastly, the concern that the Chinese government has an interest in having close ties to Huawei and promoting the company.

So, lots of smoke but not much fire. Lots of talk about 'concerns' but that could be true of any piece of tech from any manufacturer.

To me it's purely part of the overall attack on trade with China and of course a distraction to whatever else is happening in the US. I wonder what the GOP is up now.
Will Xi decide to kick Apple and MSFT out of China as a counterpoint? Stay tuned.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Guess Google issued a temporary license to Huawei for some things in the interim. I'm very curious about how this ends. It's a giant peeing contest that's setting a dangerous precedence.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Guess Google issued a temporary license to Huawei for some things in the interim. I'm very curious about how this ends. It's a giant peeing contest that's setting a dangerous precedence.

Yeah, it seems like a ping pong match. It sounds like we will see...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, it seems like a ping pong match. It sounds like we will see...
No one wins in the end. As much as I clown Huawei for their shady streak, less OEMs mean more coasting for Apple and Samsung in the mobile space. That doesn't benefit end users.

Still keeping my Mate though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss