WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Wow, that sucks for those of us who like choices but I get it and I kinda feel for them actually. They spent all of this money in the last year to get their phones certified and working on carriers, like Verizon lately and it hasn't paid off. They haven't had the luck of OnePlus with T-Mobile at all, and I guess Verizon by proxy.

It makes me wonder how this will affect inventory and prices of the phones that are available here, along with updates. Is it worth it to buy one that is made for the US market?

Props to them for realizing that it makes more sense to pull back.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Not surprised by this to be honest.

Sony had a lot of difficulty with earlier phones, especially the ones where the fingerprint scanner was on the power button.

Then there's Sony practices (6 month cycle, sub par camera, design, etc)

Lastly of course is the price. People just don't see the value in Sony.

Sony is mostly to blame for this but also the US market is very tough to work in because of the carriers and other factors. Sony don't make phones that look iPhones. That may be part of the problem as well.

Oh well. I see a future where we'll be down to one or two OEMs then people will complain of monopolies, but then, that's the American way...

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I got my new batch of toys. Of the 5 phones I received, three are new that I had not sampled.
Honor View 20, Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 and HTC U12+.
Consider me in the absolute smallest minority here but I am quite happy with small bezels on top and bottom with stereo speakers. Also the punch hole is better than the notch and that's my personal opinion.

The U12+ is a really nice device. If HTC had put in a headphone jack, I can see it legit competing against the V series from LG.

Also the blue back on the Honor V20 is a sight to behold.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I'm starting to look at phones again and I'm just at a loss what to get.

Yes I still like the XZ3 but I'm just not sure I want a Sony phone.

Google Pixel 3 is too expensive still, hell even the 2 is a bit pricey.

I know Samsung has gotten better but I'm just not interested.

So I'm at a loss what to do.

Any thoughts? Looking around the €500 mark. Preferably less.

Also is the Pixel 3a worthwhile? My wife needs a new phone as well. Wants a good camera but still wants some power. Size is the biggest concern here. Looking same price range.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I'm starting to look at phones again and I'm just at a loss what to get.

Yes I still like the XZ3 but I'm just not sure I want a Sony phone.

Google Pixel 3 is too expensive still, hell even the 2 is a bit pricey.

I know Samsung has gotten better but I'm just not interested.

So I'm at a loss what to do.

Any thoughts? Looking around the €500 mark. Preferably less.

Also is the Pixel 3a worthwhile? My wife needs a new phone as well. Wants a good camera but still wants some power. Size is the biggest concern here. Looking same price range.

From all that I have been seeing and reading, the Pixel 3a seems to be solid generally. I'm curious about it, but 99 has one so he will probably be best for the personal experience.

Since you're not interested in Samsung and the Pixel series is still up there, I can really only think of Huawei but I haven't been following it enough to know, outside of the P20 being good in the camera. The Mates sound huge in size to me so I have glossed over that, I'll admit. I don't think the OnePlus 7 would be of interest but please correct me if I'm wrong.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

The relocation I mentioned is happening and I think I'm set with the podcasts but honestly, this means that it's time to cut down the Youtube subscription list to people that I mostly watch videos of versus people that I watch a video here and there. There's only so many hours in a day and with taking a class this summer, I would not be able to watch as many videos at home, along with doing fun things as well.

I was able to "watch" a lot because I do a lot of listening in the background at work.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Huawei losing partnerships at the same rate the program I work in at the hospital are losing staff...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Dang that's bad.
That is life. I'll get off this burning ship at some point. It was never a position to spend 35+ years in and retire anyway.

Social services these days is a bit of a dumpster fire these days, really. It's not a bad sector to work in, it's just there's too much unnecessary things in the way that makes the needed work harder than it has to be.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Turned off the auto OS update feature on the Mate 20 Pro. I'm fine with using it as is on old firmware. Just treat it like an LG in that manner and I'm good.

That's funny but sad at the same time. I actually used the Z3 Tablet Compact on outdated firmware for eons, so I'm good with the Mate 20 Pro fiasco.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

don't own Huawei or Honor phone, but I'm sure it kinda sucks for those who uses and depends on em.
At the moment it's a waiting game to see the retaliation/response from Huawei and China. Especially the latter, they won't take it laying down.
No one wins

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

don't own Huawei or Honor phone, but I'm sure it kinda sucks for those who uses and depends on em.
At the moment it's a waiting game to see the retaliation/response from Huawei and China. Especially the latter, they won't take it laying down.
No one wins
It would be interesting to see if China somehow gets Apple devices thrown into this whole brouhaha.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

Or they could stop branded (Nike, Adidas, etc) shoes going into US. It was reported that 100% of children shoes sold in America comes from China.. That's mindboggling

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

From all that I have been seeing and reading, the Pixel 3a seems to be solid generally. I'm curious about it, but 99 has one so he will probably be best for the personal experience.

Since you're not interested in Samsung and the Pixel series is still up there, I can really only think of Huawei but I haven't been following it enough to know, outside of the P20 being good in the camera. The Mates sound huge in size to me so I have glossed over that, I'll admit. I don't think the OnePlus 7 would be of interest but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't think Huawei is an option at this stage or any Chinese maker for that matter.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Or they could stop branded (Nike, Adidas, etc) shoes going into US. It was reported that 100% of children shoes sold in America comes from China.. That's mindboggling

It would be interesting to see if China somehow gets Apple devices thrown into this whole brouhaha.

It depends on how these items are classified. I was reading that iPhone is classified as an imported item and as such could subject to the tariff tax. If that's the case, Apple would have to pass on the cost of covering those tariffs to consumers. China may be hesitant to do it as that's taking business away from Foxconn. "Does that apply/how can that be manipulated to be applicable to other products" is the thing that bears watching going forward.

Now Trump may decide to got after these folks:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/21/...tion=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

My issues is he is setting a dangerous precedence in how he is handling trade deals that he won't have to deal with the consequences of once he is out of La Casa Blanca.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

It depends on how these items are classified. I was reading that iPhone is classified as an imported item and as such could subject to the tariff tax. If that's the case, Apple would have to pass on the cost of covering those tariffs to consumers. China may be hesitant to do it as that's taking business away from Foxconn. "Does that apply/how can that be manipulated to be applicable to other products" is the thing that bears watching going forward.

Now Trump may decide to got after these folks:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/21/...tion=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

My issues is he is setting a dangerous precedence in how he is handling trade deals that he won't have to deal with the consequences of once he is out of La Casa Blanca.
In typical fashion, because Trump is courting Apple to bring back jobs and the stash of offshore cash, he may have exempted them from the import tax.

LOL! You cannot make this stuff up.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Ah, that's true. I forgot about the timeframe and how Google has given them a pass for 90 days.
Many of the suppliers to components for Huawei devices are jumping ship. Some likely never to return.

Oh, MSFT dropped the laptops from their stores already. The will sell off what stock that's left, and are being tight lipped about future support.

Damage has been done.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss