WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Many of the suppliers to components for Huawei devices are jumping ship. Some likely never to return.

Oh, MSFT dropped the laptops from their stores already. The will sell off what stock that's left, and are being tight lipped about future support.

Damage has been done.

Uh oh I didn't know this was happening. I feel for them, as I really enjoyed the Honor 8 and I appreciate what their phones provided.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Uh oh I didn't know this was happening. I feel for them, as I really enjoyed the Honor 8 and I appreciate what their phones provided.
The news has been dizzying in terms of how their partnerships have blown up. It is really hard to keep up.

I'm still keeping my Mate 20 Pro though.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Man, you can find V35's for a song on eBay. It's a very good phone. I blame LG as no one depreciates their flagship phones faster.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

So the political disaster that is the UK continues...

New PM to be brought in, most likely to be a pro Brexit one. Current one resigns on 7 June. New leader by end of July. Current Brexit timetable is 31 October.

45 is visiting from the 4 - 6 June. I can only imagine what will come out of his mouth.

There's even a possibility of a UK election. Ah, what a mess. All this over a 'advisory referendum'.

The UK is a total mess, it has loss billions with this. It has messed up peoples's lives. The government has done nothing since but this topic for the last three years. Let that sink in.

I see over in the USA that 45 has proven he has no idea how to 'do the deal'. 'Dangerous Huawei' could be part of a 'deal' with China. How unsurprising. If I were any other country I would be wary of dealing with the US and I hope China gives them the finger personally. Don't see that happening but I would have zero trust of the US at this stage.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So my mom heard the story about Best Buy cancelling all orders for the Galaxy Fold and after hearing the price, her response:
"$2000 is too much for a phone. That's the mortgage payment for 2 months of someone with a smaller house. Why would a phone be that much?"
I mentioned something about it having 2 screens with a bigger one on the inside and it being new tech. Her response was: "I wouldn't even pay $500 for a phone, that would be too much for me. What am going to do with a phone aside from WhatsApp and making calls? Even a phone $200 starts to get close to being expensive."

In my mind, I was amused because she clearly has NO idea how much the base is before we got to the Pixel 3a release. People do see values differently and I can't say that I disagree about the Fold price though...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm going to keep my eyes open for the V50, since I really like LG devices.
You can get it this next year a lot cheaper than launch. Thought I heard $1100 at one point, but I think it may be under that. Think the S10+ 5G is cheaper than expected too. LG keeps shooting themselves in the foot line this, having people just viewing them as a bargain bin brand.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So the political disaster that is the UK continues...

New PM to be brought in, most likely to be a pro Brexit one. Current one resigns on 7 June. New leader by end of July. Current Brexit timetable is 31 October.

45 is visiting from the 4 - 6 June. I can only imagine what will come out of his mouth.

There's even a possibility of a UK election. Ah, what a mess. All this over a 'advisory referendum'.

The UK is a total mess, it has loss billions with this. It has messed up peoples's lives. The government has done nothing since but this topic for the last three years. Let that sink in.

I see over in the USA that 45 has proven he has no idea how to 'do the deal'. 'Dangerous Huawei' could be part of a 'deal' with China. How unsurprising. If I were any other country I would be wary of dealing with the US and I hope China gives them the finger personally. Don't see that happening but I would have zero trust of the US at this stage.
Yup. Old colonial cluster**** ups at its finest.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

The biggest issue with the trade wars is that the US ain't worth ****. Even when this period passes, US credibility has been irrevocably devalued and won't be worth **** going forward.

As much as the American arrogance is disliked, there was a certain fairness in the genuinely industrial approach. If and when Americans applied themselves, **** gets did. What Trump has done is personified that fat cat elitist exploitative undercut of western European society that most don't like. Many large and famous historical powers showed these traits...and that's why they are historical footnotes.

Since Trump don't read, then this historical mistakes are his to originally own, right?

It's gonna get way worse, folks. Strap in. The wise brown folk who are used to surviving malestroms have been long prepared.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

The reason I dislike curved glass screen phones is that good tempered glass protectors are harder to find. After the second busted tempered glass, I'm going naked for a bit.

The V35 is the first phone I'm using in a while so naked. I'll add back a screen protector but it's been a refreshing taste to use it like a phone. Maybe it's because I can find another one if it goes sideways. But it's been a fun phone to use...at least for me.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So my mom heard the story about Best Buy cancelling all orders for the Galaxy Fold and after hearing the price, her response:
"$2000 is too much for a phone. That's the mortgage payment for 2 months of someone with a smaller house. Why would a phone be that much?"
I mentioned something about it having 2 screens with a bigger one on the inside and it being new tech. Her response was: "I wouldn't even pay $500 for a phone, that would be too much for me. What am going to do with a phone aside from WhatsApp and making calls? Even a phone $200 starts to get close to being expensive."

In my mind, I was amused because she clearly has NO idea how much the base is before we got to the Pixel 3a release. People do see values differently and I can't say that I disagree about the Fold price though...
Mom is old school and sees a phone as a luxury, not a necessity.

In some ways she is right, as forced ubiquity under the guise of convenience doesn't equate to necessity.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

You can get it this next year a lot cheaper than launch. Thought I heard $1100 at one point, but I think it may be under that. Think the S10+ 5G is cheaper than expected too. LG keeps shooting themselves in the foot line this, having people just viewing them as a bargain bin brand.
Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me. I got the V20 really cheap when the V30 was released.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Mom is old school and sees a phone as a luxury, not a necessity.

In some ways she is right, as forced ubiquity under the guise of convenience doesn't equate to necessity.

You have a point, I can only agree generally. Unless you go old midrange or a much older flagship (i.e. Note 5?), it's hard to find such a phone that is still new for that price.

I'm sure there's some but then the camera is relatively not great.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

The reason I dislike curved glass screen phones is that good tempered glass protectors are harder to find. After the second busted tempered glass, I'm going naked for a bit.

The V35 is the first phone I'm using in a while so naked. I'll add back a screen protector but it's been a refreshing taste to use it like a phone. Maybe it's because I can find another one if it goes sideways. But it's been a fun phone to use...at least for me.

Nice! I do agree about curved screens. I like how you shared that you set it up with the skin as well.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Gonna switch over to the Mate 20 Pro tomorrow for the wedding. Not getting my fossil in time so I have to reset my Falster.

I have a replacement battery for the Gear Sport but I don't know if I want to DIY it. Haven't done so in years so I'm super rusty. Not sure if my repair guy will do watches. Don't feel like buying a new Gear Sport either. Still deciding.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

The issue Huawei is facing really shows how interconnected all the tech companies in the mobile industry are. Due to how forced the ubiquity of phones are, most end users don't know that a ton of people's work lie in the end product of the phone they use.

Huawei no longer has input in the alliances surrounding wifi, Bluetooth, (Google's version of) Android OS, flash memory, SD standards. Reading the updates from the two links below is amazingly informative and so sad.

I honestly think they're done for.. The Huawei we know is gone. What a way to kill a company. I'm curious to see how the historians will write this up.

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-revoke-huawei-android-ban-blacklist/

https://www.xda-developers.com/arm-suspend-business-huawei/

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

You have a wise mother.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

The issue Huawei is facing really shows how interconnected all the tech companies in the mobile industry are. Due to how forced the ubiquity of phones are, most end users don't know that a ton of people's work lie in the end product of the phone they use.

Huawei no longer has input in the alliances surrounding wifi, Bluetooth, (Google's version of) Android OS, flash memory, SD standards. Reading the updates from the two links below is amazingly informative and so sad.

I honestly think they're done for.. The Huawei we know is gone. What a way to kill a company. I'm curious to see how the historians will write this up.

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-revoke-huawei-android-ban-blacklist/

https://www.xda-developers.com/arm-suspend-business-huawei/
Yeah until all of this happened, I didn't realize that it is so connected. I agree with you, without being able to sell majority of their things, it's done. They had such a range of phones too.

Funny that some people laughed at Sony for still trying but at least they can. This brings a whole different viewpoint of struggling versus not being able to period.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

LOL.. My mum has no use of a smartphone.
She's 92, and prefers a landline. The only time she touches a smartphone is when the kids & grandkids show her photos on the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb