WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Why do you say that?
They are in good shape hardware wise. It is just some of their software decisions irk the hell out of me. As much as I grumble about certain things with the Mate 20 Pro, they nailed battery life and camera. On the Mate 20 Pro, I used to go two days comfortably between charges as I'm not on my phone as much these days.

I pick up my V35 and barely start to push it and the battery falls like a stone. The G7 was the same way. It's little things like this that makes it harder to come back to them at times.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

They are in good shape hardware wise. It is just some of their software decisions irk the hell out of me. As much as I grumble about certain things with the Mate 20 Pro, they nailed battery life and camera. On the Mate 20 Pro, I used to go two days comfortably between charges as I'm not on my phone as much these days.

I pick up my V35 and barely start to push it and the battery falls like a stone. The G7 was the same way. It's little things like this that makes it harder to come back to them at times.

Gotcha. In that case, I agree with you and I also don't understand. Two days sounds great to experience.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Gotcha. In that case, I agree with you and I also don't understand. Two days sounds great to experience.
It's giving me what I want, which is why I wanted a Mate 10 series or a Mate RS with the slightly smaller form factor. I doubt if LG knows what they're doing anymore. I keep seeing the damn G8 ads online and they always talk about Hand ID - the most inconsistent thing to display as a strength of the device.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I did think of one possibility for getting the X1 and it's a very small chance.

I'm not a huge fan of contracts and the ones they have for current customers typically sucks. Here in France there's three major suppliers and several small ones. None are that great.

So if I found a contract that wouldn't cost me a fortune and it came bundled with something I could sell (PS4 or headphones) then I may consider the X1. At this stage, however, I don't see this happening.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I did think of one possibility for getting the X1 and it's a very small chance.

I'm not a huge fan of contracts and the ones they have for current customers typically sucks. Here in France there's three major suppliers and several small ones. None are that great.

So if I found a contract that wouldn't cost me a fortune and it came bundled with something I could sell (PS4 or headphones) then I may consider the X1. At this stage, however, I don't see this happening.
I'm curious about the smaller X 1. Doubt they'll put wireless charging in there, but I could be wrong. At this point, it'll be hard to see some high end innovation - folding phones ain't it.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I'm curious about the smaller X 1. Doubt they'll put wireless charging in there, but I could be wrong. At this point, it'll be hard to see some high end innovation - folding phones ain't it.

I can honestly say at this point in time I have no interest in folding phones. I get why people like them but I agree with you that it's a miss on the 'next innovation' in mobile technology.

Not sure where things are headed though. I know you like wearables but Google seems not bothered.

I think the smaller X1 would be good if they correct some of the things on the X1. Going by the renders I saw it appears they are correcting the camera position on the back. Also being a bit smaller means it's easier to use. Bigger battery would be nice too. Maybe throw in the 3.5mm jack?

I doubt they'll do the wireless. They seem to have a problem with that extra millimeter for some reason.

I sometimes think the 'portable' computer in your pocket is still a desire, though niche. I still think the mobile phone, though powerful, is too small a format. I know you can sort of do that with a smartphone but you know what I mean. I think Microsoft missed an opportunity. I'm not referring to the half baked idea of Continuum either.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I can honestly say at this point in time I have no interest in folding phones. I get why people like them but I agree with you that it's a miss on the 'next innovation' in mobile technology.

Not sure where things are headed though. I know you like wearables but Google seems not bothered.

I think the smaller X1 would be good if they correct some of the things on the X1. Going by the renders I saw it appears they are correcting the camera position on the back. Also being a bit smaller means it's easier to use. Bigger battery would be nice too. Maybe throw in the 3.5mm jack?

I doubt they'll do the wireless. They seem to have a problem with that extra millimeter for some reason.

I sometimes think the 'portable' computer in your pocket is still a desire, though niche. I still think the mobile phone, though powerful, is too small a format. I know you can sort of do that with a smartphone but you know what I mean. I think Microsoft missed an opportunity. I'm not referring to the half baked idea of Continuum either.
Throw in a 3.5mm? You crazy? This is Sony we are talking about here. I doubt that it is coming back on the high end phones.

Google has no clue what to do with Wear OS. It cannot convince Qualcomm to give a new chip, they're ****ed. And I have the tiles feature they added, which is useless because you have to swipe to the right only. Why not add two tiles to the left and right and make it fully customizable?

I'm not sure where the new frontier is. I'm sure some people will be left behind that we know of as current OEMs.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm just slightly annoyed at my current router and modem combo. Have done a few factory resets so we will see what happens.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Throw in a 3.5mm? You crazy? This is Sony we are talking about here. I doubt that it is coming back on the high end phones.

Google has no clue what to do with Wear OS. It cannot convince Qualcomm to give a new chip, they're ****ed. And I have the tiles feature they added, which is useless because you have to swipe to the right only. Why not add two tiles to the left and right and make it fully customizable?

I'm not sure where the new frontier is. I'm sure some people will be left behind that we know of as current OEMs.

The 3.5mm was a bit of a joke... However considering Sony's position in the market a simple thing like that could make a difference.

I guess if your main chip supplier isn't going to provide you with upgrades then you're sort of stuck. Maybe they'll have to look into making their own or push some maker to make it for them? That's if they want to keep making WearOS.

The future is hard to predict because it's based on consumer mindset as much as technology. You can have the greatest idea but if consumers aren't into it then it's toast as we're well aware of. I guess that's democracy in a way.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I'm just slightly annoyed at my current router and modem combo. Have done a few factory resets so we will see what happens.

Have you checked for new firmware? Depends on the age of your gear.

Here in France you get the modem/router as part of the subscription. They call it a 'box' because it comes with everything you need for internet, telephone and TV.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Have you checked for new firmware? Depends on the age of your gear.

Here in France you get the modem/router as part of the subscription. They call it a 'box' because it comes with everything you need for internet, telephone and TV.
You get a box here as a part of your subscription, but it ain't free. You pay a monthly rental fee. The firmware is up to date. The setup just may be old and need replacing. I bought this router two years ago. It was running great until 3 weeks ago.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

View from the hotel room in Puerto Rico.
d21ca6be32ec19fb2d67b1f01585fb32.jpg

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

You get a box here as a part of your subscription, but it ain't free. You pay a monthly rental fee. The firmware is up to date. The setup just may be old and need replacing. I bought this router two years ago. It was running great until 3 weeks ago.
I had rented a modem from Spectrum but purchased my own modem from Amazon and dropped off the the rental unit at a Spectrum office. It's saved me more money, since I've been using it for over two years and don't pay the modem rental charge any more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos