WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WPC 10K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

The perception that people have of MS is their own fault unfortunately. They also have the other issue of major devs passing them by and us having to rely on 3rd party apps. From an outsider perspective that's not a positive sign an doesn't drive desire to own one of their devices. Some people don't mind being different, but most hate being the 'odd' one out. Especially the younger generation.

It is why l liked MSFT buying Nokia, but I would have waited until the Lumia line got a bit more entrenched in the consumer's minds first. But MSFT know what they're doing, despite what my handle says...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

It is why l liked MSFT buying Nokia, but I would have waited until the Lumia line got a bit more entrenched in the consumer's minds first. But MSFT know what they're doing, despite what my handle says...

I have no issue with MS buying Nokia. Better them than someone else. I think MS just fell a bit short and they really need to up their game. There is very little I dislike about WP however it needs to improve to match the competition. If all the latest apps were available, including Google, then I don't think there would be much hesitation with people taking up WP. As long as the image problem they have persists the harder it will be to get more people on the platform. The OS is mostly good, the hardware is mostly good, the biggest failure is not having the lastest and greatest apps. Yes there are other bits that need to be addressed but this is something that is continuoulsy pointed out by the media and no 3rd party simply won't cut it.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I have no issue with MS buying Nokia. Better them than someone else. I think MS just fell a bit short and they really need to up their game. There is very little I dislike about WP however it needs to improve to match the competition. If all the latest apps were available, including Google, then I don't think there would be much hesitation with people taking up WP. As long as the image problem they have persists the harder it will be to get more people on the platform. The OS is mostly good, the hardware is mostly good, the biggest failure is not having the lastest and greatest apps. Yes there are other bits that need to be addressed but this is something that is continuoulsy pointed out by the media and no 3rd party simply won't cut it.

Apps Apps Apps

We have Halo.

We WIN!!

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Never played Halo, probably never will. Unfortunately that's not one of the 'apps that matter' apps.

Its an app that matters to me just as much as instagram matters to someone else. Its also an app that hits home with the millions of xbox owners.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, I expect iMore to go all happy for the new iPhones, and they are. But once the exitement wears down, I expect the sales to be great for a cell phone and less then the iPhone 5.

I respect the Apple ecosystem. But without the kind of device choices that Android and WP offer, slowly a large group of iPhone users will get swayed by something new. I do not expect Apple to be the next BlackBerry, but I do expect them to realize in a couple years that you have to adjust, and right now they just aren't. I would at least consider Apple if I could get a screen size more to my liking. 4" on a all touch screen when media is such a big deal just isn't good enough these days.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Its an app that matters to me just as much as instagram matters to someone else. Its also an app that hits home with the millions of xbox owners.

Myself personally, I could care less about the high end games and social media apps. I'm just going by what people's perception get of WP.

It goes like this:
WP has 3rd party apps for Google services, WP fans celebrate. Media talks to Google, they state " We won't be making any apps for WP"
WP has 3rd party apps for Instagram, WP fans celebrate. Media talks to Instagram, they state "We have no plans to support WP"
WP has missing apps. WP fans don't care. Media says "Tonnes of apps missing on WP"

What you get is people avoiding WP because of that. We're barely breaking 5% in the overall market. I get that some people say that MS is in it for the long haul and we shouldn't be worried. I'm not worried at all personally I'm just stating the reality. It's not completely dire but perception is everything.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, I expect iMore to go all happy for the new iPhones, and they are. But once the exitement wears down, I expect the sales to be great for a cell phone and less then the iPhone 5.

I respect the Apple ecosystem. But without the kind of device choices that Android and WP offer, slowly a large group of iPhone users will get swayed by something new. I do not expect Apple to be the next BlackBerry, but I do expect them to realize in a couple years that you have to adjust, and right now they just aren't. I would at least consider Apple if I could get a screen size more to my liking. 4" on a all touch screen when media is such a big deal just isn't good enough these days.

iPhone 6 will be the larger screen for sure. There's just too many people asking for them. I'm guessing you'll have two sizes and the 'cheap' version of iPhone next time around. But that's just a guess and also a simple I don't really care because I refuse to buy anything Apple.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Myself personally, I could care less about the high end games and social media apps. I'm just going by what people's perception get of WP.

It goes like this:
WP has 3rd party apps for Google services, WP fans celebrate. Media talks to Google, they state " We won't be making any apps for WP"
WP has 3rd party apps for Instagram, WP fans celebrate. Media talks to Instagram, they state "We have no plans to support WP"
WP has missing apps. WP fans don't care. Media says "Tonnes of apps missing on WP"

What you get is people avoiding WP because of that. We're barely breaking 5% in the overall market. I get that some people say that MS is in it for the long haul and we shouldn't be worried. I'm not worried at all personally I'm just stating the reality. It's not completely dire but perception is everything.

But that perception isn't going to ever change until the media stop treating MS as public enemy no.1

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

But that perception isn't going to ever change until the media stop treating MS as public enemy no.1

Well yes and no. If you erase the main 'Publicity grabbing headlines of no apps" then you can work on the rest. The reason people beat up on MS is due to their past and perceived poor business ethics. Also due their size. They're often referred to as the 'lumbering giant'.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

I hope 8.1 will be announced Q1 2014 or earlier and devices around that time. I want a 1020 refresh with 8.1. I guess we will have to wait.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I hope 8.1 will be announced Q1 2014 or earlier and devices around that time. I want a 1020 refresh with 8.1. I guess we will have to wait.

According to recent rumours, WP8.1 will be Q1. My guess it will be announced towards the end of this year though.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Well yes and no. If you erase the main 'Publicity grabbing headlines of no apps" then you can work on the rest. The reason people beat up on MS is due to their past and perceived poor business ethics. Also due their size. They're often referred to as the 'lumbering giant'.

You've also got to allow for human stupidity - This was from an iphone fan defending the iphone 5s release yesterday and it almost made me cry.
"the iphone has the most sensitive screen on any phone they even have a patent for it nothing can beat it"
To which someone had replied
"so sensitive that you can use it with gloves on like the nokias?"
Her repost
"I meant how it looks its retina which means as clear as your eyesight"
The responses to that little gem where by and large too offensive to effectively post here.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

You've also got to allow for human stupidity - This was from an iphone fan defending the iphone 5s release yesterday and it almost made me cry.
"the iphone has the most sensitive screen on any phone they even have a patent for it nothing can beat it"
To which someone had replied
"so sensitive that you can use it with gloves on like the nokias?"
Her repost
"I meant how it looks its retina which means as clear as your eyesight"
The responses to that little gem where by and large too offensive to effectively post here.

LOL! As clear as your eyesight... I like that one... where did you read that? Obviously a fan who is way too obsessed with the lingo that Apple spews. Not sure how responsive got to clear... considering they're two different things.

Fans of technology are funny, they'll support their 'team' like a sports fan supports their team, like a person supports their politics, etc... human nature is funny when we get attached to things.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

LOL! As clear as your eyesight... I like that one... where did you read that? Obviously a fan who is way too obsessed with the lingo that Apple spews. Not sure how responsive got to clear... considering they're two different things.

Fans of technology are funny, they'll support their 'team' like a sports fan supports their team, like a person supports their politics, etc... human nature is funny when we get attached to things.

It was on a page on facebook that I follow. Yeah people are... people I guess. Its changing peoples perceptions that matters the most though. That girl even got lambasted by other apple fans for being ridiculously misinformed.

I mean its ok to stand up for what you believe in but adding idiocy to belief is just asking for trouble... cough.. religion... cough... politics... cough

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

It was on a page on facebook that I follow. Yeah people are... people I guess. Its changing peoples perceptions that matters the most though. That girl even got lambasted by other apple fans for being ridiculously misinformed.

I mean its ok to stand up for what you believe in but adding idiocy to belief is just asking for trouble... cough.. religion... cough... politics... cough

You get my vote. :p

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Yeah SONY awesome!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05