WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WPC 10K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Heres another view on it.

The 200mm fan can be angled and raised/lowered to allow for more/less cooling which is pretty cool. Surprisingly its not bank loan/remortgage house expensive either

Link? I always get a kick out of looking at weird tech.

To geek out a bit, what would be cool is if you got a temperature monitor and a motor on the hinge to raise and lower it depending on cooling requirements.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Morning folks...grinding through another slog week...school is ok so far. Was talking to a classmate who is a full time student who wide eyed when I mentioned I was working full time and my commute...sigh...it does feel beastly though.

In other news, enjoying the new look of my 8X...really wished HTC had gone with the two toned look...

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Personally I'd go for the Asus case because I think it would be better, it's a proper mid tower with some good airflow. Saying that however I am a bit biased cause I like black. I would have to investigate further to see what the difference would be in heat dissipation. You are making a gaming machine so having something too small might not be a good idea. The smaller case does sort of look 'Appleish'.

Yeah, I think I'll go for the Asus.

Your right about the "Appleish" look of the small one, it really looks like an old Mac Pro only cheaper...

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Morning folks...grinding through another slog week...school is ok so far. Was talking to a classmate who is a full time student who wide eyed when I mentioned I was working full time and my commute...sigh...it does feel beastly though.

In other news, enjoying the new look of my 8X...really wished HTC had gone with the two toned look...

I really wished HTC had stuck to the promo material pre launch - there were a couple more colours and colour coded in ear headphones and Bluetooth headphones to match the phones. Real shame they never materialised.

As for your commute I feel ya. Got stuck twice on my way in today. Once on the overground due to a trespasser on the line and once on the underground due to signal problems - added 30 minutes to my 1 hour commute.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

AeroCool Strike-X Air Open Chassis [EN56830]

That is quite possibly the only suggestion I expected from an engineer.

Especially an electrical one? :p

Interesting design concept. You're right the cost isn't that bad but then you still need a PSU so you can still look at an expensive unit at the end of the day. Can't say I like it a lot as you'll have to stay on top of cleaning the damn thing all the time. Dust is electronics worst enemy next to water.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Especially an electrical one? :p

Interesting design concept. You're right the cost isn't that bad but then you still need a PSU so you can still look at an expensive unit at the end of the day. Can't say I like it a lot as you'll have to stay on top of cleaning the damn thing all the time. Dust is electronics worst enemy next to water.

Yeah it does all add up - but the benefits for self builds greatly outweigh the convenience of buying a pc "off the shelf" in my opinion.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I really wished HTC had stuck to the promo material pre launch - there were a couple more colours and colour coded in ear headphones and Bluetooth headphones to match the phones. Real shame they never materialised.

As for your commute I feel ya. Got stuck twice on my way in today. Once on the overground due to a trespasser on the line and once on the underground due to signal problems - added 30 minutes to my 1 hour commute.

I can cut out two transfers by taking a bus into NYC in the mornings. The problem is that bus runs twice an hour and once an hour on weekends. So I only take it whenever I'm tired (like today) or just not in the mood. It is a bit extra I pay and time wise it is the same, but sometimes I do it to read for class. The bus lane usually moves quickly but this morning has been a crawling exercise.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Yeah it does all add up - but the benefits for self builds greatly outweigh the convenience of buying a pc "off the shelf" in my opinion.

Indeed. I bought a barebone kit and have built my own PC and would never look back. Even though it runs XP, my desktop still flies. I do have the upgrade for Windows 8 I bought at the beginning of the year, so I plan to clean up my hard drive and then make the leap this Christmas when I have the time to do so...

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Indeed. I bought a barebone kit and have built my own PC and would never look back. Even though it runs XP, my desktop still flies. I do have the upgrade for Windows 8 I bought at the beginning of the year, so I plan to clean up my hard drive and then make the leap this Christmas when I have the time to do so...

You may well be better off just buying a new hard drive and doing a clean install of windows 8. Well its what I would do anyway im guessing that your hard drive has to be at least 5 years old. Just thinking a new install then transferring what you need from the old drive may be less problematic in the long run.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Oooo News for HTC fans (myself) New phone due in October/November according to reports just in

4.7inch 1080p running GDR3

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

All this talk of computers made me start looking at parts again. I've been thinking for some time to build a media center of some sort. Looking at the parts I was able to throw something together for about ?250. Keep in mind this isn't for playing games.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Rumours say SONY got something extremely special at the start of next year.

Good for them :p Sony sucks. Their laptops are garbage. Theie customer support is crap. They don't support older products even though their good. So screw'em.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Good for them :p Sony sucks. Their laptops are garbage. Theie customer support is crap. They don't support older products even though their good. So screw'em.

That not true they have moderate good support and service!

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Damn, now I want to buy the one with the GTX770 instead of GTX660 with the thought: "If I invest all this money I could do it right!"

I've started to use the forum in the lab, I think it shows ;)

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Damn, now I want to buy the one with the GTX770 instead of GTX660 with the thought: "If I invest all this money I could do it right!"

I've started to use the forum in the lab, I think it shows ;)

I'm using at work waiting for this PC to boot it been 10 minutes now!

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

All this talk of computers made me start looking at parts again. I've been thinking for some time to build a media center of some sort. Looking at the parts I was able to throw something together for about ?250. Keep in mind this isn't for playing games.

That overclockers site do some great purpose built media centre cases. Bit pricey mind you but all depends if you want a useful display on the front.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte