WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WPC 20K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

App selection is a moot point when you can have multiple instances of IE running on the surface at the same time, especially when a lot of the apps on ipad are mainly website wrappers anyway. Ignoring office you've still got the massive bonus of remote desktop - I can sit here at work and play steam games via my home pc on my RT at lunchtime - or quite happily run any of my home software. You can be productive on an ipad too just one thing at a time. The biggest differentiator between the two I believe is the search and share functions on 8.1. Nothing currently touches what MS have managed to achieve there but its never mentioned in any reviews.

That's the biggest issue you have with reviewers. They're blinded by the more 'common' tablets. They don't see the overall picture or don't understand it (more likely). But at the same time they are going by what 'normal' people want and need out of a tablet. Unfortunately anything that 'appears' complex will not appeal to the 'average' person, regardless how easy it is to use. This is the problem we have. The average IT user likes things simple. Apple claims to be simple. That's the problem.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

App selection is a moot point when you can have multiple instances of IE running on the surface at the same time, especially when a lot of the apps on ipad are mainly website wrappers anyway. Ignoring office you've still got the massive bonus of remote desktop - I can sit here at work and play steam games via my home pc on my RT at lunchtime - or quite happily run any of my home software. You can be productive on an ipad too just one thing at a time. The biggest differentiator between the two I believe is the search and share functions on 8.1. Nothing currently touches what MS have managed to achieve there but its never mentioned in any reviews.

How many people out there want a tablet to use it to remotely control their computer at home? I wouldn't, my computer is turned off when I'm not at home, energy consumption is a big factor here. Also, this IE can run every homepage argument was brought up many times when Windows Phone had a terrible app selection. It's just not the same, a homepage is not integrated, it can't take advantage of the hardware, and the worst, you don't get notifications.

But again, everybody needs to buy what fits him or her best. And I had the impression reviewers were more questioning Microsoft's decision to not build an Atom tablet instead of ARM. I feel the same in this regard.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Desktop mode is really underated and gives you a lot of options as a power user. File explorer is a massive boost that's sorely missing as a modern ui app - until they work out how to execute that properly desktop mode needs to stay.

I personally have no issues with desktop mode, I'm just being the devils advocate. I'm higly computer literate, unlike most IT reviewers or users.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
How many people out there want a tablet to use it to remotely control their computer at home? I wouldn't, my computer is turned off when I'm not at home, energy consumption is a big factor here. Also, this IE can run every homepage argument was brought up many times when Windows Phone had a terrible app selection. It's just not the same, a homepage is not integrated, it can't take advantage of the hardware, and the worst, you don't get notifications.

But again, everybody needs to buy what fits him or her best. And I had the impression reviewers were more questioning Microsoft's decision to not build an Atom tablet instead of ARM. I feel the same in this regard.

I would remote desktop to home and would have love MS if they added remote for WP at the same time they released it for Android and IOS.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

How many people out there know its possible or how easy it is with apps like teamviewer? If they aren't told they wont know and no reviews have ever mentioned it = ipad win. My computer isn't on either its in sleep mode but set to wake on lan and remote connection. Will concede the IE argument that you don't get a proper app experience, notifications etc. And yes MS do seem to make odd choices at times with hardware but they must be doing it for a reason.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I would remote desktop to home and would have love MS if they added remote for WP at the same time they released it for Android and IOS.

Use splashtop or teamviewer apps. TBH its not a great experience doing remote from your phone to PC.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Just been into PC world round the corner to look at the Surface2. Have the purple type covers in stock - feel strangely drawn to buy one.

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

WPCentral is having Tech Problems??

oh wait.. is it WPC Black to release??

Attachments

• wpcentral.JPG
    wpcentral.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 0

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Just been into PC world round the corner to look at the Surface2. Have the purple type covers in stock - feel strangely drawn to buy one.

My wife is still annoyed that the purple wireless shell never came out for the 820. You can get a purple shell but it's from Australia. That's just silly.

I might be able to convince her to get a Surface because of this though. However, paying almost ?500 for a 32GB tablet with a keyboard is a bit pricey.

Shinigami910

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site

My wife is still annoyed that the purple wireless shell never came out for the 820. You can get a purple shell but it's from Australia. That's just silly.

I might be able to convince her to get a Surface because of this though. However, paying almost ?500 for a 32GB tablet with a keyboard is a bit pricey.

The surface is definitely worth the price tag :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte