WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: WPC 30K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I remember that all too clearly. We were without power for almost a week.

However, the recent ice storm in the Toronto area people were without power over xmas and over a week in what can only be called cold temps.

That was interesting here. I stopped at my parents' house after work. They were having a new roof installed on 14 August 2003. The roofing guys thought they blew the main breaker at my parents' house. I took off after telling my parents, "I'll have power at my apartment."

The roofing guys finished the job the old fashioned way: pounding nails by hand, since their nail guns were useless.

I went to a church service that night, since it was the Vigil of the Assumption. The church was lit by candles, and the musical accompaniment was done on piano. We heard the sermon fine without a microphone.

After church, I hung out with the neighbours outside and looked at the stars, since there was no light pollution even in the city.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

It's not a joke. We say we feel like we were tortured on a wheel, however after I read on Wikipedia what that actually means I decided I wouldn't use this expression anymore.

What people can do to people is incredibly cruel, that's why I think there is something wrong with humans...
'Catherine Wheel' is another expression with the same meaning.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

That wasn't long enough to melt anything in my freezer. It was only ~17?C in my apartment, since no power meant no heat. I did not open the freezer during the outage.

...at least the ice cream was save.

-17?C is really cold, that's terrible :-/

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

That's true. I don't think many people know what a "cat o' nine tails" is.

But did you know that the expression derived from punishment at sea? When punishment was dealt out they used a cat sometimes as flaying was a common punishment and when in cramped quarters it was difficult to use the cat properly which meant that person 'got off easy', to them anyway. :p

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

But did you know that the expression derived from punishment at sea? When punishment was dealt out they used a cat sometimes as flaying was a common punishment and when in cramped quarters it was difficult to use the cat properly which meant that person 'got off easy', to them anyway. :p
Yes, that punishment originated in the Royal Navy.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I knew about Anna G?ldi, but now that I read up on it (the German Wikipedia has much more detail) I feel a little sick. It was the worst kind of murder and exploitation of power.

Witch hunts were by far one of the worst things that ever hit our society. We also have the Inquisitions, which were pretty bad.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Good morning all! Wow what a happy subject we are talking about this morning :D

It's better than mentioning cake and tri-tip continuously. :p

I find history fascinating. I also find the cruelty of our past both shocking and strange. Human nature is a bizarre subject. It's good our society has moved on a bit from that. Though there are still pockets of this kind of torture in the world.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I wonder how a interest in science thread would go on this forum.... hmmm... probably not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077