WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
re: WPC 50K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

For me, because of my situation, the only use a tablet has currently is for when I travel. It's a lot easier than taking a laptop and is better use than a phone for some things. I personally have no need for multiple phones, I can't really see a need but there are days where I would like something different than my WP. That may shock some people but until WP8.1 I'm still on the fence with WP.

I've come to the conclusion that tablets are good for two types of people really. One is for students who need that portability with enough versatility to do stuff with. The other is for those who don't feel they need a laptop or computer. My tablet is used rarely because I have a computer at work and a laptop at home. I can't think of a need outside of travel at this stage.

It shouldn't shock anyone who pays attention to your posts. You've stated it many times. Waiting to see for yourself what it brings and if it's good enough . That's the way to do it.

I don't fall under either of your tablet people but use mine daily. Last year for the first time in over 15 years, I took a vacation without having to lug a laptop. I was able to do everything on my surface with VPN and remote desktop work wise. At home, I have a desktop, laptop, work laptop and surface. During the day working, I use the work laptop provided for me. After that it's the surface on my time. Using it now. In fact the personal laptop that is in the nook that my wife using is dying a slow death. She sees me using the tablet and asked if she could do what she needs on it. Told her yep. We're going to pick up a surface 2 later today.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I bought "Die Siedler 7" (The Settlers 7, I think it's a German made game, so I can write the title in German, even though I play it in English) in a Steam offer. I like it, it's very relaxing.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

It shouldn't shock anyone who pays attention to your posts. You've stated it many times. Waiting to see for yourself what it brings and if it's good enough . That's the way to do it.

I don't fall under either of your tablet people but use mine daily. Last year for the first time in over 15 years, I took a vacation without having to lug a laptop. I was able to do everything on my surface with VPN and remote desktop work wise. At home, I have a desktop, laptop, work laptop and surface. During the day working, I use the work laptop provided for me. After that it's the surface on my time. Using it now. In fact the personal laptop that is in the nook that my wife using is dying a slow death. She sees me using the tablet and asked if she could do what she needs on it. Told her yep. We're going to pick up a surface 2 later today.

Nice choice by her, really.

It does boil down to a person's usage. For me, my T100 replaces my old laptop and netbook and as a student, I use it almost exclusively with the dock. I use my Z Ultra as a smaller sized screen for reading and doing work where I don't want to bring my T100 along. My 8X is for music and my 925 is for weekends to take pics instead of bringing my camera around.

As much as I like Apple and how productive the iPad is in many ways, the fact it is still hitched to iTunes will always make me pick a Windows then an Android tab.

Folks like Rue and Chregu benefits from waiting based on how fast the chipset tech is evolving. My guess is full Windows tabs with 64 bit for $300 and 10" displays will be standard by mid next year.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

This phone fixing business has gotten a bit out of hand :) I'm now sitting on 10 mint condition Lumia 822 phones :) I need to sell a few to work on the HTC 8X project :) And to clear some money to buy an Android phone as well, I was quite disappointed with the performance of the Concur app on WP during the last trip to Boston. Also I have a lot of travel coming up and have to rely on Concur which is the default tool at work for travel.

I don't know how you do it. I'm glad I narrowed down what I have, and often used trade ins to try new phones, but even that is really expensive. I hope you move some of those units soon...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So I sent in the 925 for repair. The repair guy I use was impressed with the 925 - even though he sells WP, he and his wife are too invested in Android and Apple to make the switch. He is using a Nexus 5 now. But the way he looked at my 925, you can see if 8.1 os as good as the hype, he might try it...

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site

Gonna shift my home at the end of this month....i need a camera grip for star trail but i don't get nokia accessories here :'(

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

So I sent in the 925 for repair. The repair guy I use was impressed with the 925 - even though he sells WP, he and his wife are too invested in Android and Apple to make the switch. He is using a Nexus 5 now. But the way he looked at my 925, you can see if 8.1 os as good as the hype, he might try it...

Is there a hype for 8.1? I don't feel it, at least after reading the comments on the "is 8.1 too little too late?"-article on the main page.

Personally, I just hope it is really good and brings missing features to at least catch up to the other platforms and bring some notable new features. Something we didn't really have since Windows Phone 7... If we get that, together with some good hardware, it might be more than enough for me.

I'm still afraid there will be a "Microsoft takes over Nokia, the other manufacturers don't care about WP"-gap which sets back Windows Phone development even more.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

My Whatsapp doesn't work either. I missed a lunch with my beloved once after a Whatsapp problem, this time she called me just now because she suspected something ;-)

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Is there a hype for 8.1? I don't feel it, at least after reading the comments on the "is 8.1 too little too late?"-article on the main page.

Personally, I just hope it is really good and brings missing features to at least catch up to the other platforms and bring some notable new features. Something we didn't really have since Windows Phone 7... If we get that, together with some good hardware, it might be more than enough for me.

I'm still afraid there will be a "Microsoft takes over Nokia, the other manufacturers don't care about WP"-gap which sets back Windows Phone development even more.

Let's hope 8.1 delivers. If you scroll around the intersweb, people are curious about 8.1. I would hate to see it be all fluff and no substance. I don't think I will drop WP as my primary right now, but if Android gives me a compelling reason, I could see myself using the Z Ultra as my daily driver.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss