WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Don't you get vacation from work or something like that?

You obviously don't pay attention to the thread. Yes I get vacation and yes I travel but what's that go to do with anything? I get four weeks vacation plus bank holidays. I also have a 9 day fortnight but so what?

Mohamed Ashid

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

You obviously don't pay attention to the thread. Yes I get vacation and yes I travel but what's that go to do with anything? I get four weeks vacation plus bank holidays. I also have a 9 day fortnight but so what?

And still you wait for weekends?
Everyday is basically the same for me. Although working days are more fun with college, hanging out, etc.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

MIA I watched the movie and I was shocked :p Saudis in general are more happy when they get a baby girl rather than a boy...because we consider girls as God's gift.

See, that's why I wanted to ask you. I've been around the block long enough to be able to tell what was being stretched because of it being a movie and what could be culturally plausible...

Posted via Princely Purple Z Ultra

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Everyday is basically the same for me. Although working days are more fun with college, hanging out, etc.

Of course I wait for the weekends. Who wouldn't? Work is work. Some people love work. I'm not one of them. :p

I especially love my four day weeks. They're great. :)

Mohamed Ashid

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Its 45 mins power cut now in Kerala.
*sigh*
Even after so many years, nothings changed. The power cuts, road conditions, or anything else.
:(

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Well, in the real world of work you get to truly appreciate your time off. For instance, I'm in one of those spans...so I work six days the next two weeks. But it is July 4th here in two weeks which happens to fall on a Friday. So I will take the Wednesday and Thursday off that week and will only work a two day week.

Rue and Chregu would think that's fair to do...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

See, that's why I wanted to ask you. I've been around the block long enough to be able to tell what was being stretched because of it being a movie and what could be culturally plausible...

There are too many movies out that stretch credulity. Some pick on certain aspects of culture and you need to wonder why they do that. Sometimes it's to make something look worse than it is, sometimes it's to simply shock you. Some forms of documentaries are good at this type of thing.

I personally would like to know where the idea of honour killing came from and why it's always the girl who is gets killed? That kind of thing confuses the hell out of me.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Its 45 mins power cut now in Kerala.
*sigh*
Even after so many years, nothings changed. The power cuts, road conditions, or anything else.
:(

Dude, I was raised on power outages, bad roads and water shortages. I went back home after 10 years and there was still no consistent running water in my childhood home. It wasn't for a lack of indoor plumbing, but when you love in the middle of a steep hill, if the water pressure isn't strong enough, you're still screwed. While it was nostalgic to take a bath out of a gallon bucket, I don't miss it.

Mohamed Ashid

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Dude, I was raised on power outages, bad roads and water shortages. I went back home after 10 years and there was still no consistent running water in my childhood home. It wasn't for a lack of indoor plumbing, but when you love in the middle of a steep hill, if the water pressure isn't strong enough, you're still screwed. While it was nostalgic to take a bath out of a gallon bucket, I don't miss it.

For you its past, so no worries.
Whereas in my case I'm still living in such conditions.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

There are too many movies out that stretch credulity. Some pick on certain aspects of culture and you need to wonder why they do that. Sometimes it's to make something look worse than it is, sometimes it's to simply shock you. Some forms of documentaries are good at this type of thing.

I personally would like to know where the idea of honour killing came from and why it's always the girl who is gets killed? That kind of thing confuses the hell out of me.

The movie I asked Nadia about (sorry, I just cannot get used to calling her by her screen name) is called Wadjdah. I think it is good enough for you to watch it. I liked the concept behind the movie and so much of it made sense, from a gender perspective, but it was filled with such cultural juxtapositions for me that I felt I needed to ask a KSA resident for some clarity. The whole "covering" in the movie was interesting and juxtaposed alot to the point where it was slightly confusing for me. I think the filmmaker did that on purpose but I don't know how if I completely get their intent from an outsider's perspective.

The honor killing stuff seems to be some old old school tradition that is still kept alive I guess in some circles. Don't quote me on that though...

Mohamed Ashid

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
The power outage used to be 30 mins earlier. But the time period was increased to 45 mins because of no/less rain.
What I feel funny about this is the fact that, its raining VERY heavily here that there may soon be a flood.
:D

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

For you its past, so no worries.
Whereas in my case I'm still living in such conditions.

It isn't really. If I lose my job today, I'm right back into it. It's not everywhere in the US that has bright lights and running water. I'm sure I could find a spot or two here that feels like "home sweet home" in terms of those conditions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb