WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

LOL! Well it ended up being a yes/no situation. :p

Yes my plantar fasciitis is better but it turns out I have a stretched ligament in the same foot. So I have to get that sorted now. :/

Ouch! Did they use crepe bandage for your foot?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

^This. The English tone and tenor varies vastly in different places..... No two places speak exactly the same English. Even within India we can observe this trend. A north Indian and a south Indian pronounce and understand English very very differently. :)

Even in the UK there is no such thing as British English - Cockney is the closest thing to that. Here in the US, the closest thing to "American English", is what politicians speak. The whole language is a cluster**** so what else is new there.

That doesn't mean that because the language is a joke you shouldn't learn how to understand the nuances. My ex while we were dating when she was in graduate school in New Jersey had a fair amount of Korean students in her school (seminary). They would write grammatically correct papers, but when you hear them talk, the English was stiff and awkward because they didn't grasp the social nuances.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So...i asked Cortana to tell me a funny story and she found this one I'll share. It is a little NSFW, but the moral is "be careful what you wish for..."

A cab driver picks up a nun. She gets into the cab, and the cab driver won?t stop staring at her. She asks him why he is staring and he replies, ?I have a question to ask you but I don?t want to offend you.?
She answers: ?My dear son, you cannot offend me. When you?re as old as I am and have been a nun as long as I have, you get a chance to see and hear just about everything. I?m sure that there?s nothing you could say or ask that I would find offensive.?
?Well, I?ve always had a fantasy to have a nun kiss me.?
She responds, ?Well, let?s see what we can do about that ? first, you have to be single, and you also must be a Catholic.?
The cab driver is very excited and says, ?Yes, I am single and I?m Catholic, too!?
The nun says, ?OK, pull into the next alley.?
He does and the nun fulfills his fantasy. But when they get back on the road, the cab driver starts crying.
?My dear child.? said the nun, ?Why are you crying??
?Forgive me, sister, but I have sinned. I lied to you, and I must confess, I?m married and I?m a Baptist.?
The nun says, ?That?s OK, I am on the way to a Halloween party, and my name is Kevin.?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Even in the UK there is no such thing as British English - Cockney is the closest thing to that. Here in the US, the closest thing to "American English", is what politicians speak. The whole language is a cluster**** so what else is new there.

That doesn't mean that because the language is a joke you shouldn't learn how to understand the nuances. My ex while we were dating when she was in graduate school in New Jersey had a fair amount of Korean students in her school (seminary). They would write grammatically correct papers, but when you hear them talk, the English was stiff and awkward because they didn't grasp the social nuances.

What I've found funny living in the UK is how improper the English language is here compared to what I'm used to. Even for my wife who is Australian. We jokingly say they don't speak or write properly.

English is different in an oblivious way to English speakers but I found out that all English accents sounds the same in certain countries to the people there. Puts a perspective on things.

Last edited:

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site

Apparently verbal English is also different in different countries! Like when I speak in India, most people take it in the wrong sense! They don't understand it and then they claim that I don't know English :/

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Apparently verbal English is also different in different countries! Like when I speak in India, most people take it in the wrong sense! They don't understand it and then they claim that I don't know English :/

To give you some examples of what I was talking about.

Here in the UK things with plurals are written like this - apple's
Where you might say 'I was sitting there' here they say 'I was sat there'

Some other interesting things.
In Australia the expression 'ya right?' is an angry one, typically when someone has done something stupid. Here 'ya right?' is a greeting. Usually with the statement 'hiya' in front of it but not always.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Am I the only one missing Chregu? He hasn't said a thing since morning.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 820 Tapatalk

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Is it just me or is this the slowest firmware roll out ever? I mean really, what's the hold up? I'll own a new phone before the damn thing hits my phone. :p

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Hey guys...so I just saw the Microsoft is killing the McLaren. That scares the crap out of me because it points more towards Android...there was no word of the alleged 1525 being cancelled, but still...what on earth is Microsoft doing...?

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site

Hey guys...so I just saw the Microsoft is killing the McLaren. That scares the crap out of me because it points more towards Android...there was no word of the alleged 1525 being cancelled, but still...what on earth is Microsoft doing...?

I think it's just being delayed - there's no way there canceling the phone completely or stopping research on the technology that'll be in it.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I think it's just being delayed - there's no way there canceling the phone completely or stopping research on the technology that'll be in it.

I'd still prefer the 1525 (assuming it's not just a 1520 cross carrier), but I hope Microsoft has something planned for Windows Phone. That's a real let down

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Is it just me or is this the slowest firmware roll out ever? I mean really, what's the hold up? I'll own a new phone before the damn thing hits my phone. :p

Yes it is the slowest rollout. I might own a new phone before I get cyan to, and guess what, it won't be Windowsphone 😠. Hopefully tomorrow I will wake up in the morning full of Windowsphone flagship devices with a reasonable price and store full off apps from Android and IOS which well work the best on windowsphone.
Well, I guess a man can dream :(.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Yes it is the slowest rollout. I might own a new phone before I get cyan to, and guess what, it won't be Windowsphone 😠. Hopefully tomorrow I will wake up in the morning full of Windowsphone flagship devices with a reasonable price and store full off apps from Android and IOS which well work the best on windowsphone.
Well, I guess a man can dream :(.

I'll pass on whatever alcohol/illicit or legal drugs you consumed before having that dream...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea