WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

So MS has finally published proof that low end phones are where their customer base is.

Microsoft: 71 percent of Windows Phone apps are installed on low memory devices | Windows Central

Surprise, surprise! That's like saying standing in 100 mph winds is dangerous. What did they expect when they haven't given any reason for anyone to switch to WP and that low end markets are a bit more forgiving for lack of apps or are happy to use 3rd party?

Well, I guess we will continue to see a barrage of low/mid end hardware if this is their target market. I'm glad I left now.

They're spinning it as targeting emerging markets and getting the word out to everyone that WP is viable. On the one hand that's not a bad thing, but it can be an issue when something really satisfied with the OS wants to go from a lower end model to something high end...only to find no real mid range of high end choices.

Posted Approved by Nexus 7 (2013)

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I think if I did that my battery would last a lot longer. The only issue then would be tell my wife to contact me by email only at work when she needs to. I wouldn't get any calls though. Which could be an issue.

Yup. You need peace with the wife so it is better to leave it as is.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

They're spinning it as targeting emerging markets and getting the word out to everyone that WP is viable. On the one hand that's not a bad thing, but it can be an issue when something really satisfied with the OS wants to go from a lower end model to something high end...only to find no real mid range of high end choices.

Thing is, even if they brought out a high end model with the issues they have with apps it won't help them. We now have threads with people complaining about Snapchat. Instagram was the issue before. Some months from now it will be something else. That's the problem with WP.

This has to be fixed for WP to be even considered a choice in most markets, let alone the USA.

I think WP is great if you have no interest in social media or the latest thing. So it's a great phone for older people or those not interested in those things I mentioned.

Hence why WP is niche still. I'm still not happy with the whole 3rd party app scene either and I think if developers have their way 3rd parties would go. They may end up using the privacy angle as a way of doing it finally. Who knows?

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

I'm not sure if anything out at the moment tickles my fancy. Most likely the 930 as its a bit of a modern sidegrade for my 920. Not looking to leave wp as a platform - there's life in the old girl yet - unless there's an absolutely unbelievable deal.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I'm not sure if anything out at the moment tickles my fancy. Most likely the 930 as its a bit of a modern sidegrade for my 920. Not looking to leave wp as a platform - there's life in the old girl yet - unless there's an absolutely unbelievable deal.
For now just use a wireless charger. I'm happy to loan you a WP device. If you can find a broken 920 with an intact motherboard I'm happy to swap it out for you.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

It's probably just a loose connection at the USB. You should be able to fix it either with a replacement or a bit of soldering.

As for a L930, I guess if that tickles your fancy.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

For now just use a wireless charger. I'm happy to loan you a WP device. If you can find a broken 920 with an intact motherboard I'm happy to swap it out for you.

It's not so much that I have to charge it wirelessly, it's that I can't sync my music to the thing, quick is a big party of what I do with the device.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

It's probably just a loose connection at the USB. You should be able to fix it either with a replacement or a bit of soldering.

As for a L930, I guess if that tickles your fancy.
Lesson learnt on 822 USB replacement is you get broken microphones after the repair rendering you with a speakerphone☺

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

It's not so much that I have to charge it wirelessly, it's that I can't sync my music to the thing, quick is a big party of what I do with the device.

This is where that new WiFi direct type technology would come in handy.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Thing is, even if they brought out a high end model with the issues they have with apps it won't help them. We now have threads with people complaining about Snapchat. Instagram was the issue before. Some months from now it will be something else. That's the problem with WP.

This has to be fixed for WP to be even considered a choice in most markets, let alone the USA.

I think WP is great if you have no interest in social media or the latest thing. So it's a great phone for older people or those not interested in those things I mentioned.

Hence why WP is niche still. I'm still not happy with the whole 3rd party app scene either and I think if developers have their way 3rd parties would go. They may end up using the privacy angle as a way of doing it finally. Who knows?

What MSFT could do is contract some of the well known 3rd party devs like Rudy Huyn to do the 1st party apps but with the blessing of the provider. For instance, do a contract with Snapchat and let Rudy run the app.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

I'm a bit torn and I will have to do more research over Christmas. Any pro's and cons to 930 I might not be aware of?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I'm a bit torn and I will have to do more research over Christmas. Any proofs and cons to 930 I might not be aware of?

I think the biggest con for me with the L930 was the battery life. I could live without the rest. Specs are a debatable argument with WP but it would be nice to feel you had a device that would last for a bit. Keep in mind the Icon (L930) was released in Feb this year. It's almost a year old. If that doesn't bother you than go for it.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

What MSFT could do is contract some of the well known 3rd party devs like Rudy Huyn to do the 1st party apps but with the blessing of the provider. For instance, do a contract with Snapchat and let Rudy run the app.

That would be ideal. I wouldn't be surprised to learn they may have tried that and failed. Then again, maybe they're doing that now with some devs. We never know what MS is up to.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

If I were to get the 930 it would be with selling it in mind when the next head turning flagship Congress along.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte