WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

It doesn't need to be exciting, that's the point, I just want to get away from this place, and you can't go further than Australia :D. Also I've heard and read somewhere that they're taking immigrants and stuff, so that's my plan after I finish the college. Who doesn't want well educated youth for free.

As far as Europe concerned, I'd really like to visit old towns in Italy, renaissance era and similar. Also Prague, Budapest, Wiena and others. I'd take those over any beach, but that's just me.

There's one thing to keep in mind with Australia, it's nothing like Europe at all. The cities have very little history and all the towns start to look the same. There are some interesting places but on the whole Australia is a very 'new' country. The aboriginals are the only ones with any real history there and most of it is oral. There's some rock painting but there out in the middle of nowhere. So if you're going there, you're going for the weather more than anything. :p

Australia is a very expensive place to live in. The food, rent and running cost of a car are all very expensive. Doing any sort of travelling isn't cheap either. Also even thinking about travelling back and forth to EU gets really expensive. The fastest flight I ever did was 28 hours between Brisbane and London. Not sure how long it would take to get to your country.

Getting a visa isn't easy. Not sure where you're getting your information from but Australia is one of the harder places to immigrate to and it's not cheap.

If you're really interested there this method for people under the age of 30 - https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visi/Visi/Working-holidayorWork-and-holiday-visas

This gives you a year to traipse around Australia and if you're lucky, either find someone to marry or get a job at a place that will sponsor you. Otherwise you should leave once your visa is ending otherwise they ban you from ever going back and your chances of obtaining a visa are toast.

There is a skills in demand list - https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work...ing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/SOL

There's also studying in Australia, but again, not cheap.

This is basically the visa you would apply for if you wanted to go by yourself - https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/189-

It's a points based system and you need to meet the criteria otherwise it's a big no.

Quick story.

When I got my partner visa (my wife is Australian) we were at our interview. There was a couple beside us (yeah not private at all) and they got told there wasn't enough proof of a relationship for the visa to be accepted so they got rejected. They were married and had been together for about 6 months I believe so they are very strict. I think the agent believed it was a marriage of convenience.

There was a time when Australia was a bit easier to get into. Don't believe everything you hear.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I just had a nice discussion about music with a friend of mine. We were trying to "find" the best metal song of all time, and we agreed that it is Hallowed be thy name by Maiden. Any other thoughts?

It's one of my favourite Maiden songs but not sure if I'd consider it the best metal song. Music is about personal taste so there really is no such things as 'best'.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I was. I read an article about how a guy blew out the speakers on his father's hi-fi system back in the 70s via "The Barbarian" and wondered if the same guy listened to "Into the Void".

I have Master of Reality on MP3, but vinyl is on the way.

Back in the 70s I think it would have been easier to achieve than nowadays. The equipment is a lot more robust and so long as you treat it well and have it set up correctly you would probably have a hard time blowing a speaker.

If you want to blow a speaker you simply get a powerful amp and a speaker that can't handle the power. Crank it to full, play for an hour so. Once you hear distortion you've likely killed it one way or another.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Back in the 70s I think it would have been easier to achieve than nowadays. The equipment is a lot more robust and so long as you treat it well and have it set up correctly you would probably have a hard time blowing a speaker.

If you want to blow a speaker you simply get a powerful amp and a speaker that can't handle the power. Crank it to full, play for an hour so. Once you hear distortion you've likely killed it one way or another.
I agree!

Although I would've had a hard time blowing a speaker with the awful pressing of the Trilogy vinyl that I sent back to Amazon since it was quiet compared to any of my other records, whether vintage or new.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

It's one of my favourite Maiden songs but not sure if I'd consider it the best metal song. Music is about personal taste so there really is no such things as 'best'.
I agree wrt "best" music being subjective. If one likes the galloping rhythm, then "Children of the Grave" on Master of Reality by Black Sabbath does it earlier than anything by Iron Maiden.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

To Rose640, you might not have known, but Tony Iommi created a heavy sound unintentionally. He downtuned his guitar, since he had an easier time time playing it downtuned. He lost the tips of the fingers on his right hand (he's left handed) in an industrial accident as a teenager. That downtuned guitar, plus the necessary downtuned bass by Geezer Butler gave Black Sabbath their distinctive sound.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Another really good song is "Into the Void" by Black Sabbath.

I like their album Master of Reality better than Paranoid since they established their heavy sound with the down tuned guitar and bass on Master of Reality.

I'm not too familiar with Sabbath, I know just 5-6 songs. I'll have to check that album.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I haven't watched South Park for ages, but wasn't this episode a part of older season? I think I remember this scene. Not sure though.

Though I haven't watched South Park in a very very long time, this particular episode refers to the current US presidential race.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Agreed. We doo have similar tastes in music, so that might have had a big influence.

The only thing we differ is post metal, I just can't get him to listen to any of Tool's stuff.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

To Rose640, you might not have known, but Tony Iommi created a heavy sound unintentionally. He downtuned his guitar, since he had an easier time time playing it downtuned. He lost the tips of the fingers on his right hand (he's left handed) in an industrial accident as a teenager. That downtuned guitar, plus the necessary downtuned bass by Geezer Butler gave Black Sabbath their distinctive sound.

I knew it was because of his fingers, but I thought they were just broken, like when pianist brake theirs.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

What a long post Rue, I can't quote it on my phone :D

Reading your post I've realised Australia is nothing like I thought it would be, lol. I mean, I expected it to be expensive, and I understand there's no "history", but I guess some nice landscapes would make up for it?

The part that dissapointed me was the immigrations, I've never realised it was that difficult to get in.

I still have a lot of time to make my moves. The real decision making awaits me after my college.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Agreed. We doo have similar tastes in music, so that might have had a big influence.

The only thing we differ is post metal, I just can't get him to listen to any of Tool's stuff.

It took me awhile to warm to Tool personally. At first I wasn't overly enthused with anything other than Sober and that's because I heard it on the radio when it came out. I used to listen to a good Alternative Rock station back in Canada. Lately the music on it is a bit bland and the DJ's are annoying.

Anyway, I think for Tool you need to listen to some of the earlier stuff to appreciate the newer stuff.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Oh and marrying for visa, nah, I'd never do that. I find it kind of silly to be honest, maybe even hilarious.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

It took me awhile to warm to Tool personally. At first I wasn't overly enthused with anything other than Sober and that's because I heard it on the radio when it came out. I used to listen to a good Alternative Rock station back in Canada. Lately the music on it is a bit bland and the DJ's are annoying.

Anyway, I think for Tool you need to listen to some of the earlier stuff to appreciate the newer stuff.

I think Schism was what I heard first. And I instantly liked it. I hadn't be so enthustiastic about a band since I heard Welcome to the jungle for the first time.

I got totally hooked on Tool after listening to 46 & 2, it can't get better than psychology and psychodelia mixed in one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb