WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

So, the Nexus line is dead.

The Nexus One is still my all time favorite. I was tempted to suck it up and get a 6P, but I'm guessing that Google will most likely keep the Nexus line bare bones and not port over any of the Pixel dust in terms of their software enhancements. It's a pity as I wished that we could still get a Nexus phone as a reference device, but perhaps that's no longer necessary...

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

They're fun to make with the right person and a pain to raise with the wrong person...

We don't need more humans on the planet. Our footprint of too large as it is.

And for some people, the same person that the kid was fun to make with became a nightmare to raise with...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Pricey and a bit ugly to boot.

Look wise is take the Sony XZ over it any day.

However it appears the camera is pretty decent on the Pixel.

I'm still at a loss what to get so far....

I can wait though.

All I'd want at this point is a V20. I'm a very, very long way from being able to get one, so Robin will have to do. I could try to swing for a HTC 10, Honor 8 or G5, but at this point, I'm sticking with Robin.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I see it got slow around ensure. Maybe I should spam it up for a few posts...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

People are knocking Google for the price of the Pixels. Well, they've done this sort of pricing before with the Nexus 6 and the Nexus One. I know that this is different, so the price doesn't matter to me (especially since I'm not buying it). Google is making a big push to take a more OEM style stance. So I guess you get what you pay for now...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Pretty interesting that as soon as the Pixels were launched, the 5X and 6P were immediately discontinued. I did like the 6P and would be interested in it if I liked the larger devices as I once did. Good build, nice speakers, solid battery life and good camera. A fine way to end the Nexus line indeed...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Meanwhile in Windows land, 950s are few and fast between...same as the Band 2. It is pretty interesting to see the transformation of MSFT to their enterprise focus. I did enjoy the 950 XL, so it is sad to see them go.

I mean, lots of good phone are getting killed off due to ultra competitive sales. I'm glad on the one hand that the competition is better as we have more quality equipment to choose from...but in the other hand, it makes picking a handset more challenging since there is a shift on focusing on better software support. It just means that there's a sense of sticking with the known quantities like Samsung and Apple.

It's a shame, really...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I still wish that some of the older hardware would get better support. I know I REALLY enjoy my Z3 Tablet Compact, but devices like these could benefit from better software support. It's sad that OEMs are in a position where moving physical units is where the money is at...i think they'd be better served (especially smaller companies) to stick to the two year cycle of support.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So I was reading something where Huawei was still having trouble with the US market. I started to laugh because the implication was that Huawei wanted their devices on Verizon but since Google didn't secure the 6P last year for the US carriers, Huawei decided not to be the ODM for the Pixel line this year. In doing so, they missed out getting a device on Verizon.

People in the US are fickle. Even Samsung took a few years to get their brand as strong as it is now. As much as this has been written, the hardware has been getting very good by these Chinese OEMs...the software was the hurdle. Still, it was nice to see Honor having a stand in Best Buy and seeing those annoying banned ads online. It was also nice to see ZTE have a stand in Best Buy too. Always nice to try the phones in person before buying them...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So I was reading something where Huawei was still having trouble with the US market. I started to laugh because the implication was that Huawei wanted their devices on Verizon but since Google didn't secure the 6P last year for the US carriers, Huawei decided not to be the ODM for the Pixel line this year. In doing so, they missed out getting a device on Verizon.

People in the US are fickle. Even Samsung took a few years to get their brand as strong as it is now. As much as this has been written, the hardware has been getting very good by these Chinese OEMs...the software was the hurdle. Still, it was nice to see Honor having a stand in Best Buy and seeing those annoying banned ads online. It was also nice to see ZTE have a stand in Best Buy too. Always nice to try the phones in person before buying them...

Case in point with the software: Xiaomi. MIUI was forgettable in its origins, but it was still a pretty capable skin. Now, the difference between MIUI 7 and 8 are serious. Truth be told, Google's material design language is a lot more visible to more people than people recognize (in my opinion). So when Xiaomi took a more material design look to MIUI 8, it gave it a more cleaner and more palatable look. For me, EMUI 4.1 and MIUI 7 were in the same vein. MIUI 8 is miles better than EMUI 4.1. So it remains to be seen how well Huawei can modernize the look in EMUI 5. At the end of the day, people want whats familiar to them. As much as some knock TouchWiz, Samsung has cleaned it up to a point where while still feature packed, it is has this "it just works" type feel to it...

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

All I'd want at this point is a V20. I'm a very, very long way from being able to get one, so Robin will have to do. I could try to swing for a HTC 10, Honor 8 or G5, but at this point, I'm sticking with Robin.

At this point you should start clamoring for devices with Snapdragon 830, 6GB RAM and awesome cameras that will be released in 2017.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Pretty interesting that as soon as the Pixels were launched, the 5X and 6P were immediately discontinued. I did like the 6P and would be interested in it if I liked the larger devices as I once did. Good build, nice speakers, solid battery life and good camera. A fine way to end the Nexus line indeed...

There should be a glut on eBay of these brand new and they are both decent devices.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

At this point you should start clamoring for devices with Snapdragon 830, 6GB RAM and awesome cameras that will be released in 2017.

Most of which will lack a headphone jack, so I'll pass. Let me be cheap and enjoy good DACs in 2016...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

There should be a glut on eBay of these brand new and they are both decent devices.

Should be. I saw a 64GB 6P for $360 recently in really nice condition that was tempting. Guess I'm still holding out for a windfall for a V20...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I threw out some really good extra accessories today...tempered glass screen protectors for the G4, Z3, Moto Maxx, iPhone 5S...extra battery charger (this was defective though) for the G4, and a few cases for the Z3.

Man, I've been through too many devices...

...still really liked the G4 and Z3 though...Maxx was good too... iPhone 5S got sold off instantly...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I'll see what happens. I definitely want a new Chromebook, but I might pick up a 6P at some point. I've taken a liking to big phones.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Pricey and a bit ugly to boot.

Look wise is take the Sony XZ over it any day.

However it appears the camera is pretty decent on the Pixel.

I'm still at a loss what to get so far....

I can wait though.
I like the looks but price is another story. Basic one in Europe (Germany) costs 10? less than basic iPhone 7.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

So, the Nexus line is dead.

The Nexus One is still my all time favorite. I was tempted to suck it up and get a 6P, but I'm guessing that Google will most likely keep the Nexus line bare bones and not port over any of the Pixel dust in terms of their software enhancements. It's a pity as I wished that we could still get a Nexus phone as a reference device, but perhaps that's no longer necessary...

It seems like launcher so friends at XDA could soon have some files taken freom Pixel which will be able to port this stuff to Nexus.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos