WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Wow, I bet. I still want to go visit there though, so much.

The number one thing when travelling to Australia is time. You need time. 1 or 2 weeks isn't enough. Minimum 4 weeks, preferably more.

If you're young enough there's lots of options available to you to work/travel.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

The number one thing when travelling to Australia is time. You need time. 1 or 2 weeks isn't enough. Minimum 4 weeks, preferably more.

If you're young enough there's lots of options available to you to work/travel.

Good to know, thanks! Ah, that's a bummer that isn't enough time. :( As cliche as it might sound, really want to see Sydney and Melbourne, especially the latter.

I'm 27, but not sure if I would be open to working outside of my industry. I'm a gal that works best with structure and consistency. Not saying that it isn't there, of course, but I don't see myself as one of the types to be open to working there.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Good to know, thanks! Ah, that's a bummer that isn't enough time. :( As cliche as it might sound, really want to see Sydney and Melbourne, especially the latter.

I'm 27, but not sure if I would be open to working outside of my industry. I'm a gal that works best with structure and consistency. Not saying that it isn't there, of course, but I don't see myself as one of the types to be open to working there.

I was thinking more along the lines of this - Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462)

But that would depend a lot on your situation of course and your desires.

Not sure where you live in the US but when travelling to Australia you're looking at a 14hr flight minimum if you live in LA or San Fran to get to Sydney.

You'll need to fly to Melbourne from Sydney (about an hour) because driving takes over 10 hours.

Yes you can do a quick trip to Sydney/Melbourne but it sort of depends what you want out of it. Neither of these two places really give an idea of Australia though. They're like any big city at the end of the day. Expensive and full of people. You'll also be exhausted at the end of it.

Oh that's other bit. Australia is expensive. Doesn't matter where you go either.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I was thinking more along the lines of this - Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462)

But that would depend a lot on your situation of course and your desires.

Not sure where you live in the US but when travelling to Australia you're looking at a 14hr flight minimum if you live in LA or San Fran to get to Sydney.

You'll need to fly to Melbourne from Sydney (about an hour) because driving takes over 10 hours.

Yes you can do a quick trip to Sydney/Melbourne but it sort of depends what you want out of it. Neither of these two places really give an idea of Australia though. They're like any big city at the end of the day. Expensive and full of people. You'll also be exhausted at the end of it.

Oh that's other bit. Australia is expensive. Doesn't matter where you go either.

Wow, I didn't know that they had a visa like that. That's amazing!

I would have never guessed that the two cities are that far apart. My sister's close friend went to Melbourne for a week last year and she liked it but felt like she didn't have enough time there (and that it was really expensive too).

As you said, I would have to think about what I want out of it. When I was little, it was about the kangaroos but then it evolved to like watching some Australians on Youtube and they both seem to be interesting cities. I guess I'll like to see that particular city culture more than anything. I'm not as interested in the rest even though I'm sure that there are gems.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Wow, I didn't know that they had a visa like that. That's amazing!

I would have never guessed that the two cities are that far apart. My sister's close friend went to Melbourne for a week last year and she liked it but felt like she didn't have enough time there (and that it was really expensive too).

As you said, I would have to think about what I want out of it. When I was little, it was about the kangaroos but then it evolved to like watching some Australians on Youtube and they both seem to be interesting cities. I guess I'll like to see that particular city culture more than anything. I'm not as interested in the rest even though I'm sure that there are gems.

A lot of countries have visas like that - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_holiday_visa

Australia is approximately the size of the USA (excluding Alaska). Maps misrepresent the size due to a ratio factor based on the curvature of the Earth. Lots of places are a lot bigger than you think they are.

I have my opinions of course, having lived there for over 7 years and travelled around a bit, I think cities don't really do Australia justice. Yes I like Sydney and Melbourne but there's lots of beautiful places in Australia. Which is why I suggest the longer visiting time. Also, not to insult Australians, the culture thing is mostly Melbourne, depending on what you want or meant by 'culture'. Australia is fairly flat when it comes to culture in general.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

A lot of countries have visas like that - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_holiday_visa

Australia is approximately the size of the USA (excluding Alaska). Maps misrepresent the size due to a ratio factor based on the curvature of the Earth. Lots of places are a lot bigger than you think they are.

I have my opinions of course, having lived there for over 7 years and travelled around a bit, I think cities don't really do Australia justice. Yes I like Sydney and Melbourne but there's lots of beautiful places in Australia. Which is why I suggest the longer visiting time. Also, not to insult Australians, the culture thing is mostly Melbourne, depending on what you want or meant by 'culture'. Australia is fairly flat when it comes to culture in general.

Now that you said that about the size, I better understand your original comment now.

Ah okay, I see. Yeah, I thought as much that Melbourne is probably the place for that. It's hard to explain what I mean by that, but it seems to have more of a diverse food scene, along with people to a point. I can understand where you are coming from though.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Now that you said that about the size, I better understand your original comment now.

Ah okay, I see. Yeah, I thought as much that Melbourne is probably the place for that. It's hard to explain what I mean by that, but it seems to have more of a diverse food scene, along with people to a point. I can understand where you are coming from though.

Oh I'll agree with the food scene but that's pretty much all over Australia, not specific really to any major city but of course Melbourne and Sydney have some of the best. I won't say you can't find bad food, but most food is pretty good.

It's a mixture of Indian, Asian, Italian, Greek, etc... There's a carry over from the UK of course and their own 'traditional' food which is a modification of UK dishes.

Then there's aboriginal food which many 'regular' Aussies don't eat.

I thought the US was doing better with their food lately... ?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Oh I'll agree with the food scene but that's pretty much all over Australia, not specific really to any major city but of course Melbourne and Sydney have some of the best. I won't say you can't find bad food, but most food is pretty good.

It's a mixture of Indian, Asian, Italian, Greek, etc... There's a carry over from the UK of course and their own 'traditional' food which is a modification of UK dishes.

Then there's aboriginal food which many 'regular' Aussies don't eat.

I thought the US was doing better with their food lately... ?

That's great to know. That all sounds good!

Yeah they are, I guess. I think I'm more curious about things and habits that are individual to cities to see if there are similarities and what the differences are. Like I'm between Baltimore and DC and even those two cities have differences to a point. DC is more vegan/health conscious, Baltimore is more of a true sports town even though both have teams.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

That's great to know. That all sounds good!

Yeah they are, I guess. I think I'm more curious about things and habits that are individual to cities to see if there are similarities and what the differences are. Like I'm between Baltimore and DC and even those two cities have differences to a point. DC is more vegan/health conscious, Baltimore is more of a true sports town even though both have teams.

Australians love their sport. More than probably any other country I've been to. There is no real distinction in that way when it comes to things like that. There are more like rural areas vs cities.

Melbourne likes it's Aussie Rules football whereas most other cities are not so fussed. For other's it's Rugby in the colder months and cricket in the warmer months. Then there's the Olympic sports which Australia seems to go nutty for.

I'm not a sports person so it wasn't my thing. I'm more the foodie.

The other thing you'll find is Aussies like to drink, a lot. They tend to be friendly but don't go thinking it's a 'safe' place. Lots of things happen in Australia that don't get advertised too much and it's just like travelling anywhere else.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Australians love their sport. More than probably any other country I've been to. There is no real distinction in that way when it comes to things like that. There are more like rural areas vs cities.

Melbourne likes it's Aussie Rules football whereas most other cities are not so fussed. For other's it's Rugby in the colder months and cricket in the warmer months. Then there's the Olympic sports which Australia seems to go nutty for.

I'm not a sports person so it wasn't my thing. I'm more the foodie.

The other thing you'll find is Aussies like to drink, a lot. They tend to be friendly but don't go thinking it's a 'safe' place. Lots of things happen in Australia that don't get advertised too much and it's just like travelling anywhere else.

Wow, I have heard that sport is really serious there. That's really interesting.

Ah okay. Good to know. Eh, that might be awkward for me since I don't drink at all. Knowledge is power, thanks for sharing all of this.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Wow, I have heard that sport is really serious there. That's really interesting.

Ah okay. Good to know. Eh, that might be awkward for me since I don't drink at all. Knowledge is power, thanks for sharing all of this.

My wife and I don't really drink either so it tends to be difficult fitting into countries that have a heavy drinking culture.

My wife misses the Aussie humour and the general warmness of Australians. The Brits are not the friendliest people in the world regardless how they seem.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

OK last bit of knowledge. In Australia there tends to be a bit of competitiveness between states and cities. Australia was very much a divided country for a long while. The states never really bothered with each other much in the past.

So you'll often find a lot joking about the other places, sometimes seeming insulting but all in good humour for the most part. It's part of the Australian 'taking the p*ss' out of each other and themselves. It's one of the more endearing things about Australians.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

That's a driver issue. You either have a bad driver installation, no driver or the card/chip is toast.

Drivers are up to date. That would mean the card is dead? Oh come on. That's exactly what I needed right now.

mc_razza

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site

Wow, I bet. I still want to go visit there though, so much.
Do yourself a favour libra89 and visit Tasmania. Best fresh food; best wines, beers and spirits; exciting food and arts scene; MONA; cleanest air in all of Australia; lush temperate rainforests; epic and ancient landscapes; some of the world's best national parks and walking tracks... have the whole island to yourself (and 500,000 other people). Preferably come in the glorious southern summer.

Don't take my word for it, go and check it out for yourself! :)

Some websites to whet your wanderlust:
Discover Tasmania
Lonely Planet
Trip Advisor

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Do yourself a favour libra89 and visit Tasmania. Best fresh food; best wines, beers and spirits; exciting food and arts scene; MONA; cleanest air in all of Australia; lush temperate rainforests; epic and ancient landscapes; some of the world's best national parks and walking tracks... have the whole island to yourself (and 500,000 other people). Preferably come in the glorious southern summer.

Don't take my word for it, go and check it out for yourself! :)

Some websites to whet your wanderlust:
Discover Tasmania
Lonely Planet
Trip Advisor
Never made it to Tasmania. It always seemed out of the way and a bit expensive to get to all the time. I would love to visit it though.

There are lots of wonderful places in Australia. Depends what you're after at the end of the day.

I really enjoyed northern Queensland when I lived there. Regardless of the humidity. There are coffee plantations up there and I love coffee.

Also the scenery was just stunning.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

There were some interesting things announced at CES so far. I really liked that Dell's XPS 13 2 in One. It looks like something I'd really make a use of at a collegr, but it's a bit pricey though.

mc_razza

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, plenty of amazing gadgets and new technologies. The 2017 XPS 13 2-in-1 looks great. And I like 2017's lineup of 4K displays from Sony, Samsung and LG. I'm not sure whether to buy last year's TVs at a reduced price now or wait till when they release the models announced at CES in the middle of the year.

There are a few mobile devices that were announced at or before CES but the one that's caught my eye is, surprisingly, the Alcatel A3 XL.

I'd pick one up as a basic introductory device to the Android platform or as a backup phone. Too bad the price converts to AU$277 (US$200), which means it'll probably be priced at $299 when it comes to Australia. That's expensive for an entry-level android device with a 1.1Ghz processor and 1GB memory in 2017.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Yeah, plenty of amazing gadgets and new technologies. The 2017 XPS 13 2-in-1 looks great. And I like 2017's lineup of 4K displays from Sony, Samsung and LG. I'm not sure whether to buy last year's TVs at a reduced price now or wait till when they release the models announced at CES in the middle of the year.

There are a few mobile devices that were announced at or before CES but the one that's caught my eye is, surprisingly, the Alcatel A3 XL.

I'd pick one up as a basic introductory device to the Android platform or as a backup phone. Too bad the price converts to AU$277 (US$200), which means it'll probably be priced at $299 when it comes to Australia. That's expensive for an entry-level android device with a 1.1Ghz processor and 1GB memory in 2017.

Welcome to Bosnian pricing, I payed my L640 320KM (BAM). Average salary here is around 800BAM (that's the average salary, which includes our politician's wages which go up to 5000 KM). So yeah, you're not alone.
That new HP's phone costs almost 1800KM.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb