WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

So I was given an Amazon Echo as a belated Xmas gift. So I'm looking forward to setting it up and trying it out. I was always tempted to get an Echo Dot, but I passed for different reasons. So I may get a few smart lights to test out Alexa. Should be interesting...

Or I may just keep this simple and get a few smart plugs instead.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I really don't know as much about Alexa as I should...
From what little I know it doesn't require voice training so anyone can use it.

Either that or people are not setting up their systems right and it's causing all sorts of issues.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I really don't know as much about Alexa as I should...

It uses a lot of "if this, then that" sort of commands. Much of these you can program in itself. You can say for some things it's a slightly more polished version of Cortana.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

From what little I know it doesn't require voice training so anyone can use it.

Either that or people are not setting up their systems right and it's causing all sorts of issues.

The issue with these AIs is that they lack an understanding of appropriate context. Jerry H. on Android Central wrote up something last week on this too. People just have to learn how to train their kids to ask for certain things to minimize that issue. Also, running this on a separate wifi network and being more vigilant in montioring history and usage can try to cut down on being hacked and all those privacy concerns.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So having used the honor 8 for this short stretch, I'll defer to 99's device reviewing skills. Here's a different kind of summary:

Pros:

- Build quality, camera, overall design, fingerprint scanner

Meh:

- Speaker output, jack output, Battery life

Cons:

- Software

So all the reviews are accurate. My issue with the software is that it reminds me so much of MIUI 7: aggressive to monitor apps, fully customizable, and fights with Android wear in the same way US Congress does with regards to getting the country back on track (very unproductive). Yes, you'd think it plays better with the Huawei watch, but the honor 8 fights with the same way as it does with the 360 Sport.

While I like the overall feel of the phone, I'd have been better off with a HTC 10 or G5, honestly. Still, EMUI 5 should make this a more tolerable experience.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So having used the honor 8 for this short stretch, I'll defer to 99's device reviewing skills. Here's a different kind of summary:

Pros:

- Build quality, camera, overall design, fingerprint scanner

Meh:

- Speaker output, jack output, Battery life

Cons:

- Software

So all the reviews are accurate. My issue with the software is that it reminds me so much of MIUI 7: aggressive to monitor apps, fully customizable, and fights with Android wear in the same way US Congress does with regards to getting the country back on track (very unproductive). Yes, you'd think it plays better with the Huawei watch, but the honor 8 fights with the same way as it does with the 360 Sport.

While I like the overall feel of the phone, I'd have been better off with a HTC 10 or G5, honestly. Still, EMUI 5 should make this a more tolerable experience.

Interesting review, thanks for sharing. I'm surprised that battery life is in the meh category considering that you own(ed) the Nextbit Robin and experienced how that battery life is.

I was looking forward to your thoughts about this.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Interesting review, thanks for sharing. I'm surprised that battery life is in the meh category considering that you own(ed) the Nextbit Robin and experienced how that battery life is.

I was looking forward to your thoughts about this.

It's meh because Doze + Huawei's insane app manager is great. I went into a 4th day with very light usage between a charge last week. But when you actually start to use the phone, while i get better than Nextbit Robin battery, it's still a charge every night phone. Robin i could get a day and a half with light usage and i learned how to mix the usage to get through a day. But that battery is as a bad as a politician's promises...neither are worth a damn.

As much as i like some of the features OEM skins (especially the Chinese) offer, I said i was better off with HTC sense or LG's UI because at least i get to use the few apps i keep on the phone in the way i want to. Notification with Wear these last two days as been especially useless with the honor 8 and the Huawei watch.

The G5 and HTC 10 remained too overpriced for me. If it was a choice between either one and the Honor 8 at $250 - $300, I'd have gotten one of the others. If I was dual phone wielding I'd get a 950 + a HTC 10, but if i had to get one phone only, I'd get a G5 + the audio DAC.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

It's meh because Doze + Huawei's insane app manager is great. I went into a 4th day with very light usage between a charge last week. But when you actually start to use the phone, while i get better than Nextbit Robin battery, it's still a charge every night phone. Robin i could get a day and a half with light usage and i learned how to mix the usage to get through a day. But that battery is as a bad as a politician's promises...neither are worth a damn.

As much as i like some of the features OEM skins (especially the Chinese) offer, I said i was better off with HTC sense or LG's UI because at least i get to use the few apps i keep on the phone in the way i want to. Notification with Wear these last two days as been especially useless with the honor 8 and the Huawei watch.

The G5 and HTC 10 remained too overpriced for me. If it was a choice between either one and the Honor 8 at $250 - $300, I'd have gotten one of the others. If I was dual phone wielding I'd get a 950 + a HTC 10, but if i had to get one phone only, I'd get a G5 + the audio DAC.

Ahh okay, I can understand that. That makes sense. Funnily enough, I have had the flip experience. Always had to charge the Robin, not so much the Honor 8.

Hey, at least you tried it though!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Ahh okay, I can understand that. That makes sense. Funnily enough, I have had the flip experience. Always had to charge the Robin, not so much the Honor 8.

Hey, at least you tried it though!

Our experiences are similar...Always had to charge the Robin, not as much the honor 8.

To me it's about fighting with the stuff i use the most that i don't have to do as much on a lighter OEM skin like HTC, Nextbit is the thing i don't like. I do think EMUI 5 will make a difference, but we'll see at the end of next month.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So the last time I was down the NJ coast, the regulars saw me shared this picture of the same aisle in Walmart labeled "ethnic hair". Apparently, i wasn't the only one to have noticed this, as here's the updated version to the sign. I'm still trying to figure out how i feel, but I guess it's an improvement!?

Attachments

• 26102.jpg
    26102.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 6

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Our experiences are similar...Always had to charge the Robin, not as much the honor 8.

To me it's about fighting with the stuff i use the most that i don't have to do as much on a lighter OEM skin like HTC, Nextbit is the thing i don't like. I do think EMUI 5 will make a difference, but we'll see at the end of next month.
I get what you mean. Yes we will and I'm looking forward to it!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So the last time I was down the NJ coast, the regulars saw me shared this picture of the same aisle in Walmart labeled "ethnic hair". Apparently, i wasn't the only one to have noticed this, as here's the updated version to the sign. I'm still trying to figure out how i feel, but I guess it's an improvement!?
I think that it is one. Not the best but still matches the point.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

That's still bad!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Lumia 640, edited via Snapseed.
7717bddd3faad9528ce013e6cab41d73.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb