WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Without going into details it was very complicated. That's not even including who was going to move to what country.

A sweet story is where we got married.

Ah okay, going to take your word for it. You two made it this far, which I still think is sweet.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

My wife did her bachelors and masters online. There were also parts she had to do in person at the university as well.

That's cool! Are her two degrees related?

I will be doing the in person classes for sure, provided that I get in. I believe that I will but still.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

My wife did her bachelors and masters online. There were also parts she had to do in person at the university as well.

Do you mind elaborating about your wedding a little? I'm getting married in the middle of the year, your experience could help my own...

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Good morning, no snow overe here yet, it is raining. But problem is, it's so cold there is black ice everywhere, worse than snow.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Good morning, no snow overe here yet, it is raining. But problem is, it's so cold there is black ice everywhere, worse than snow.
It snowed on my way home, took me 2 1/4hrs to get home.

There was no snow at my home though and I doubt it stuck around in the roads. But the temperature had dropped so there may be ice. Just hope they salted the roads...

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

It snowed on my way home, took me 2 1/4hrs to get home.

There was no snow at my home though and I doubt it stuck around in the roads. But the temperature had dropped so there may be ice. Just hope they salted the roads...

We are expecting snow late in the evening. Here motorways are salted but most of the other roads aren't, some roads are coled because of balck ice

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

We are expecting snow late in the evening. Here motorways are salted but most of the other roads aren't, some roads are coled because of balck ice

That's what pretty much happens in Canada, they do the main roads first then they do the secondary roads, then residential. Just depends how bad things are. Sometimes they contract small companies to help clear things up quicker.

I hate black ice. Dangerous stuff.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Do you mind elaborating about your wedding a little? I'm getting married in the middle of the year, your experience could help my own...

Not sure what you want to know exactly. I think I may have mentioned that we got married overseas. We were living in Australia at the time and we got married in Finland.

We had a relatively small wedding of about 28 people (including us) the rest were mostly my wife's Finnish family (she's half Finnish) and some friends.

Even though what we did and where we got married sounds pretty fancy, our wedding only cost around $5000 AUD, that's not including flights/accommodation of course. We stayed with family at a summer cottage (near where we got married) prior to the wedding and had a hotel room for the night before and night after. We then went to Sweden for a couple of days by ferry. Then went to Canada after that.

So to explain this whole thing.

We got married in a castle, that sits on a lake in Savonlinna Finland. The castle's name is Olavinlinna Castle. The chapel sits at the top of the foremost turret of the picture below. Thing to note, wedding dresses and high heel shoes are not the best for going up a spiral narrow stone steps.

IMG_3866.JPG

Reason why we chose this great place? My wife's Finnish grandparents migrated to Australia in 1959. Her grandfather was a bit of an artist and liked paint in oils. He had a picture of this castle that he had painted hanging over the mantle of their house. My wife saw this picture since she was a little girl and thought it as a fantasy castle then, not realising it was real and she could go to it. So we decided to get married there as a way of honouring her grandparents. My wife spent quite a bit of time with them while growing up.

We decided to use horse and carriage to get us from the hotel to the castle. Approximately 2km. It just seemed appropriate. The horse and carriage drew a crowd at the hotel and we got a big cheer when we came out. We had people congratulate us on the way. A group of people at a cafe we passed all stood up and clapped. Was very memorable.

The wedding ceremony music was provided by a Finnish instrument the kantele. Sounds similar to a harp.

During our ceremony we had a Finnish love poem recited and song sung by one of our friends accompanied by one of my wife's family on violin. The ceremony was performed by the magistrate. Everything was in Finnish/English.

Then we went out to one of the parapets to release butterflies.

We then had lunch in the castle and had some music that was played by some music students. Finnish waltz music on accordions which everyone liked. Ah the Fins...

After all that, we met up with some family and friends for a boat tour around the castle.

We kept our wedding very simple and as cheap as possible. This was the other reason why we got married overseas. Kept the numbers down. Overseas weddings can be as simple or extravagant as we you want them to be.

Of course everyone's situation is different so having a wedding overseas is not for everyone but it worked for us.

My main advice would be this:

Plan your day to sort the timing out.

Figure out where you want to get married and book it immediately, followed by the rest of the stuff, flowers, dress, suit, DJ (if you have one) and all those things. Get them done as quickly as possible that way you don't stress about them.

Then relax. If you get overly excited about things going wrong then it will just stress you. Just keep in mind two things. You're there to enjoy yourself and so is your friends and family. It's a celebration, a party. Timing can go out, something may be missed, but it's no big deal. What's the worst thing that can happen? Think of that then make sure that you take that into consideration. Anything after that is manageable. It's just one day. Make it as perfect as you can and let slide anything that might cause hiccups.

That's not always easily done but the simpler you make things the less chance that things will get messed up.

It's all the quirky things we did that made our wedding memorable for us and for the people who attended and that's all that matters really.

Last edited:

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Snowing has started but at least I'm already home :)
2e5c7a79383a54ec7358f79c47458e5d.jpg

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

That's cool! Are her two degrees related?

I will be doing the in person classes for sure, provided that I get in. I believe that I will but still.
More or less.

She has a bachelors with majors in counseling and humanities with a minor in sociology. Her masters is in career development.

She has lots of other training as well and is registered with professional bodies.

She takes her work very seriously. Most of her clients appreciate that but there are some who it's lost on and with different expectations of what they signed up to, even though my wife explains it as thoroughly as she can.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

I need to do some serious work on my dedication. I said I won't drink last night, well, I went far beyond few drinks. Now I've got that stupid headache and another wasted day.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

On the wedding day - Stay hydrated! Make sure you get your fluids in and eat, as you'll be exhausted at the end of the day (advice from others who have gotten married they shared with me).

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

More or less.

She has a bachelors with majors in counseling and humanities with a minor in sociology. Her masters is in career development.

She has lots of other training as well and is registered with professional bodies.

She takes her work very seriously. Most of her clients appreciate that but there are some who it's lost on and with different expectations of what they signed up to, even though my wife explains it as thoroughly as she can.

Awesome, sounds like a great combo!

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

I see Americans are protesting against Trump. Well, that is democracy and he is your president, you don't get to choose to accept it or not. You missed that one in November.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers