WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

The weather is crazy here. Yesterday was -1°C, which is typical for January. Today it's 13°C, much too hot. Nobody can claim there isn't any global warming. We didn't have this 40 years ago.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

We're having the same crazy weather here in Northwest Arkansas. I'm a winter guy, so I really want a few days of winter....Consecutively. :D Tired of these roller coaster temps.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

The weather is crazy here. Yesterday was -1°C, which is typical for January. Today it's 13°C, much too hot. Nobody can claim there isn't any global warming. We didn't have this 40 years ago.

Because the Chinese hadn't taken control of the mainstream media yet that's why.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Well what we normally do with travelling is sorting out where we'd like to go, make a list of places then determine a budget and workout which one fits the budget best.

The other things we think about is whether we're after cultural, sun, scenery or city. Sometimes you can get a bit of everything. :)

I don't think you mentioned which month you're getting married but 'winter' in New Zealand and Australia is June to August. July is typically the coldest month.

It's a big world and to recommend something would be difficult without some guidance. There's also Canada, USA, South America, Mexico...

It's happening around the middle of June, so heat / weather is something to concern. We'll be after culture, scenery etc - a bit of everything!

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

It's about 'protecting' their children from getting autism or possibly dying or other issues from vaccines. They keep coming up with new excuses when they get called out on their BS. They also state that vaccination doesn't work, it's all a scam. They believe that past epidemics were created by big pharma so they could sell their vaccines... I kid you not.

Still, the scare of 'autism' is the biggest driving factor. Look up Dr. Wakefield if you want to be thoroughly disgusted beyond belief. Look it up on wikipedia or other trusted sites, not anti vax sites.

The thing that happened in Nevada was about antibiotic resistance. What happened is the lady had a bacterial infection that no antibiotics could clear. This is a very big issue. This is caused by over use of antibiotics. That's what bothered me about the video. He was sort of conflating the two and confusing the message.

Anti vaccination on the other hand is based on the premise of people refusing to vaccinate their children as a means of 'protecting' them from nasty drugs from big pharma.

You get vaccinated to prevent specific diseases. You take antibiotics to clear bacterial infections. Different things.

I'll definitely check it out. The trend is slowly picking up here, and as I said, I don't like it.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Funny thing about the whole global warming talks. Surveys are being conducted in US asking people wheter they believe in global warming or not.
I never knew you get to choose whether a scientifically proven fact is true or false.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

It's about 'protecting' their children from getting autism or possibly dying or other issues from vaccines. They keep coming up with new excuses when they get called out on their BS. They also state that vaccination doesn't work, it's all a scam. They believe that past epidemics were created by big pharma so they could sell their vaccines... I kid you not.

Still, the scare of 'autism' is the biggest driving factor. Look up Dr. Wakefield if you want to be thoroughly disgusted beyond belief. Look it up on wikipedia or other trusted sites, not anti vax sites.

The thing that happened in Nevada was about antibiotic resistance. What happened is the lady had a bacterial infection that no antibiotics could clear. This is a very big issue. This is caused by over use of antibiotics. That's what bothered me about the video. He was sort of conflating the two and confusing the message.

Anti vaccination on the other hand is based on the premise of people refusing to vaccinate their children as a means of 'protecting' them from nasty drugs from big pharma.

You get vaccinated to prevent specific diseases. You take antibiotics to clear bacterial infections. Different things.

Rose the two proverbs here that best describe this are:
1) Being Penny by wise and Pound foolish
2) Cutting off your nose to spite your face

It is very scary how easily a disease driven pandemic can just cripple things and wipe off vast numbers of people, throwing us back many years...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Funny thing about the whole global warming talks. Surveys are being conducted in US asking people wheter they believe in global warming or not.
I never knew you get to choose whether a scientifically proven fact is true or false.
It's not just climate change that has this problem and unfortunately not just a USA issue.

Usually people get hung up on the word theory when it comes to science, not realising of course that everything in science is a theory.

There's been a large effort by certain groups to discredit science in general but usually attacks specific things like evolution, climate change and astronomy.

The people who usually disagree with climate change, usually disagree with the other two I mentioned and typically votes republican.

Need I say more?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I'll definitely check it out. The trend is slowly picking up here, and as I said, I don't like it.
This trend has been going for some time.

It's a combination of two things really.

The first is the conspiracy theories against paramedical industry. Some of their practices are horrid, I won't disagree there, however they typically are trying to help.

The other aspect is healthy living. This idea that being healthy prevents diseases and eating and living a certain way is protection against them.

The issue here is that healthy living doesn't protect you against infectious disease. You may have a great immune system but that could actually kill you with certain diseases.

So what's happened is that people have distorted the message. Healthy living reduces or prevents certain health related diseases and they just added the diseases in not realising they're different.

Then you add mistrust of big pharma, a rise in autism, a corrupt doctor and voilà anti vax is born.

I should point out also that Oprah Winfrey and Jenny McCarthy played a big role in making this issue worse. I'm not a fan of Oprah at all, she's done a lot of damage to sceptical thinking and Jenny is just a silly wacky actor. However they did their part in making anti vax mainstream.

I believe Jenny has tried to state that she's not anti vax but about education and fighting against 'too many vaccines at once' (rubbish) but a lot of her talk seems to take that tone. She's unfortunately still very much in the public.

Also Bill Maher is another nutter in this as well. Even though he claims to be smart guy.

Thing to keep in mind is this. There is no link between autism and vaccines. Multiple studies have been conducted all with the same results.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

It's happening around the middle of June, so heat / weather is something to concern. We'll be after culture, scenery etc - a bit of everything!

June isn't that hot. :p

Budget usually determines where you want to go typically but if you're up for anything there's lots of options.

Lots of places will be busy in June because the universities and colleges will be out already in North America. Just something to keep in mind. As we're trying to book something in August we've noticed that things are already beginning to be booked out. But I know that's more to do with the UK/EU than North America.

Places I liked personally for various reasons (in no particular order): Athens, Malaga, Rouen, Paris, Vienna, St Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm, Norway (the fjords are amazing), Granada, Copenhagen, Rome, Venice, Prague, France (in general), Rotorua (NZ), White Island (NZ), Sydney (AUS), Melbourne (AUS), Northern Queensland (AUS), Los Angeles, New York, Florida

Places I'd personally like to go to: Santorini, Almafi Coast, Loire Valley (to visit the Chateaux), Bordeaux, South of France, Sicily, Mexico, Peru, Banff, Lake Louise, Vancouver, French Alps, Budapest, Lots of eastern Europe, Utah, Grand Canyon, too many to mention now...

I guess it depends, are you a beach person, like walking, like scenery or what?

Answer this question, is there any place you always wanted to go to? How about your wife to be?

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

So who's trying out the new forum theme? Come on guys!

It's OK. Not entirely sure what I think of it yet. It's a bit blocky looking. I get the idea of the look though, just not sure I like it.

Also some features aren't working like the personal menu.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

It's OK. Not entirely sure what I think of it yet. It's a bit blocky looking. I get the idea of the look though, just not sure I like it.

Also some features aren't working like the personal menu.

Try the dark theme, go to your menu then click the moon icon in the bottom right. It's nice.

What specifically isn't working for you? I noticed the social menu items don't work yet but its a work in progress.

That's a nice list of places - thanks, I'll look into them!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

The Your Menu, when you select Participated for example (or anything else) it takes you back to the old style.

As well the thread isn't rendering correctly (using Chrome), the avatars are running into the boxes. I don't have my window full screen but I'd assume this still shouldn't happen.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

I think some areas are still being worked on so there is bound to be some inconsistency. I haven't seem the thread rendering inconsistently though, although I'm on Edge.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

How to tell I'm an engineer...

Here's a snapshot.

$5E7D710B9ACF041C.jpg

Also there's this issue too the box isn't sizing correctly.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Rose the two proverbs here that best describe this are:
1) Being Penny by wise and Pound foolish
2) Cutting off your nose to spite your face

It is very scary how easily a disease driven pandemic can just cripple things and wipe off vast numbers of people, throwing us back many years...

The first idiom(?), I don't get it :D.
But yes, I have an idea of how an old disease could infect and kill many people. Maybe like bubonic plague.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

The first idiom(?), I don't get it :D.
But yes, I have an idea of how an old disease could infect and kill many people. Maybe like bubonic plague.

Think of it in money terms.

Penny being the smallest currency amount and pound being the a British Pound. So spending more pounds to save pennies is another way of putting it. I'm sure you have a similar saying in your country.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb