WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

The rain God has been great. The lake is overflowing finally 😀
fc0a4b88603548b177e5fa91a741100e.jpg

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, I got that one, it's all a bit weird to me, requirements aren't specified on the site.

Could you give me those links about studying in Australia you once posted here? Can't remember any of them.

I'll give you more than links. :p

First thing to know about Australia is that it's a very expensive place to live. The cost of living is very high.

The school year is completely different than in Europe. It runs from Feb to Dec (with several breaks). Hottest months are typically Dec, Jan and Feb.

Next is that universities are similar to US in pricing in that you pay more for 'prestige' universities of which there are several. You'll also pay the full cost of the course being an international student and you won't get any breaks whatsoever. They will treat you a bit nicer simply because you're paying more. Local students get subsidies.

There are universities in smaller towns but you may find it a bit boring or possibly have difficulties with the locals. Just stating the truth. In small towns you may need a car more than in a city. Public transportation in small towns is not that great.

So the thing you need to do is find a university. Majority of universities (all?) have an 'International students' section on their website. It explains the process of applying for a a course and getting the visa.

Here's an example - Queensland University of Technology or QUT (yeah I have tendency to put an I after the U as well)...

https://www.qut.edu.au/ - you'll notice the International Students tab at the top. Use that as a starting point.

You might find that your country isn't listed to get the requirement details so you'll have to contact the university directly. Your country probably isn't the only one not listed so don't fret about it. These universities are going by their typical student intake.

You should keep in mind the name of the course you want to apply for in the EU will probably be different or might not exist at all.

The way the system works is that you apply for a course through the university. Discussing everything with them so that you meet requirements and so on. They'll send you a letter of offer and then you apply for your visa. You cannot apply for a visa until you get your letter of offer from the university.

Here's the link to the visa infromation - Studying in Australia | australia.gov.au

Also you have the ability to work 20 hours a week (if you wish) - https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Stud/More/Work-conditions-for-Student-visa-holders

What I would suggest is that you sort out where you want to live first (I can offer suggestions based on your desires). Find a university, find the course, contact the university get the offer and then get a visa.

I didn't go through the whole visa information but I noticed the cost is $550 AUD. Also, I believe you'll need medical insurance and you'll need to have a medical check of some sort. Also an IELTS English language score. All at your expense of course. :)

One last thing.

There are two levels of further education in Australia. To avoid confusion, there is TAFE - Technical And Further Education (basically technical college) and then University. I assume you're after universities and that's what you should be looking for.

Last edited:

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Less than a day battery life. Very poor compared to what my P9 achieves in the same usage pattern.

Basemark OS II figures were surprisingly low. I'm now trying to use this for my light business work, basically office work, no development which we all know it's not capable of.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Less than a day battery life. Very poor compared to what my P9 achieves in the same usage pattern.

Basemark OS II figures were surprisingly low. I'm now trying to use this for my light business work, basically office work, no development which we all know it's not capable of.

That's interesting that you are having issues with the battery life. I have heard that x3 has great battery life from multiple people. I hope that things will improve for you.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'll give you more than links.

First thing to know about Australia is that it's a very expensive place to live. The cost of living is very high.

The school year is completely different than in Europe. It runs from Feb to Dec (with several breaks). Hottest months are typically Dec, Jan and Feb.

Next is that universities are similar to US in pricing in that you pay more for 'prestige' universities of which there are several. You'll also pay the full cost of the course being an international student and you won't get any breaks whatsoever. They will treat you a bit nicer simply because you're paying more. Local students get subsidies.

There are universities in smaller towns but you may find it a bit boring or possibly have difficulties with the locals. Just stating the truth. In small towns you may need a car more than in a city. Public transportation in small towns is not that great.

So the thing you need to do is find a university. Majority of universities (all?) have an 'International students' section on their website. It explains the process of applying for a a course and getting the visa.

Here's an example - Queensland University of Technology or QUT (yeah I have tendency to put an I after the U as well)...

https://www.qut.edu.au/ - you'll notice the International Students tab at the top. Use that as a starting point.

You might find that your country isn't listed to get the requirement details so you'll have to contact the university directly. Your country probably isn't the only one not listed so don't fret about it. These universities are going by their typical student intake.

You should keep in mind the name of the course you want to apply for in the EU will probably be different or might not exist at all.

The way the system works is that you apply for a course through the university. Discussing everything with them so that you meet requirements and so on. They'll send you a letter of offer and then you apply for your visa. You cannot apply for a visa until you get your letter of offer from the university.

Here's the link to the visa infromation - Studying in Australia | australia.gov.au

Also you have the ability to work 20 hours a week (if you wish) - https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Stud/More/Work-conditions-for-Student-visa-holders

What I would suggest is that you sort out where you want to live first (I can offer suggestions based on your desires). Find a university, find the course, contact the university get the offer and then get a visa.

I didn't go through the whole visa information but I noticed the cost is $550 AUD. Also, I believe you'll need medical insurance and you'll need to have a medical check of some sort. Also an IELTS English language score. All at your expense of course. :)

One last thing.

There are two levels of further education in Australia. To avoid confusion, there is TAFE - Technical And Further Education (basically technical college) and then University. I assume you're after universities and that's what you should be looking for.
And he needs to remember not to skull classes, especially if he goes abroad to study. Don't want to mess up your living arrangements because of that as people have less sympathy abroad than in your home country.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

And he needs to remember not to skull classes, especially if he goes abroad to study. Don't want to mess up your living arrangements because of that as people have less sympathy abroad than in your home country.

True. Attendance is mandatory unless you're ill and have a note from a doctor. They'll terminate your visa and send you home if you do not maintain attendance. Australia is very strict about that too.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

True. Attendance is mandatory unless you're ill and have a note from a doctor. They'll terminate your visa and send you home if you do not maintain attendance. Australia is very strict about that too.
I've seen it happen here to teens who go out of state here in the US where people were living either off campus nearby school or on campus. They got caught up in the fun stuff of college and forgot about classes...then got kicked out of housing and college and have high debt and a low GPA to show for it...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I've seen it happen here to teens who go out of state here in the US where people were living either off campus nearby school or on campus. They got caught up in the fun stuff of college and forgot about classes...then got kicked out of housing and college and have high debt and a low GPA to show for it...

It's actually stated on the visa requirements for Australia and I'm sure other countries as well. Most just seem to ignore things and assume it won't happen to them. I guess if they're rich kids they don't care so much.

At least in Australia you can work if you want. There are a few countries where this is forbidden and if they catch you working they kick you out as well. They're attitude is that you're supposed to have the funds to go to school and that's the most important part.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I've been laughing very hard today over the Sweden memes I've seen. They're quite funny.

I know Thump has corrected his statement but at the time it appeared he was suggesting a terror attack. Also, let's face it, most supporters couldn't pick out where Sweden is on a map let alone care about what's happening there. He could have said anywhere and they would have dumbly nodded agreement.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I've been laughing very hard today over the Sweden memes I've seen. They're quite funny.

I know Thump has corrected his statement but at the time it appeared he was suggesting a terror attack. Also, let's face it, most supporters couldn't pick out where Sweden is on a map let alone care about what's happening there. He could have said anywhere and they would have dumbly nodded agreement.
Thump instead of Trump, eh? I kinda like that...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

It's actually stated on the visa requirements for Australia and I'm sure other countries as well. Most just seem to ignore things and assume it won't happen to them. I guess if they're rich kids they don't care so much.

At least in Australia you can work if you want. There are a few countries where this is forbidden and if they catch you working they kick you out as well. They're attitude is that you're supposed to have the funds to go to school and that's the most important part.
There are pros and cons to that. Being actively going through the experience now, I'd prefer to have enough money where I don't need to work while studying. Especially if i was an undergraduate student now, I would be a hell raiser socially and academically...

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

I'll give you more than links. :p

One last thing.

That is, um, pretty much a no go for me :D. I've seen the prices and they just don't appeal to me. I'd rather take a shot with Austria and it's 740€ per semester, and if I'm not wrong, both insurance and some kind of union are included in the price. And since I'm from Bosnia I have a chance to get the whole sum refunded If I finish the semester with 24 ECTS points.

The only thing I don't like about Austria is of course the language. But I'll take a gap year (not really a gap year, I'll still be there as a student, but I'll only be learning language) and hopefuly master it.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

You and your obsession with skullings, just give it a rest :D.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Getting a Visa for Austria is not going to be a problem, since our countries have a close relations, and if I were to go and study there few years earlier I could've gotten a free scholarship. But that's my luck, I can't get it now.

As far as working concerned, I believe you can work there 10 hours a month, for a close to 500€ paycheck. That's what I've been told, could be a misinformation.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Didn't catch that one? What's it all about?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb