WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

So... aside from unsubscribing from this thread, how does one turn off all email notifications? It used to be easy to do now I can't find it.

I don't want emails every single time something happens on this thread...
Go to control panel and turn off the notification settings. I'll see if I can post a screenshot in a couple of hours.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I should also point out that a lot of UK citizens are completely oblivious to the issues I've talked about.
Yup, it was the same during the housing crisis here. We lost over $80K for doing things by the book. I do hope things sort out for you for the better.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I just want to give an update on my life at the moment. I normally don't discuss much on here about it anymore but I thought I'd say a couple of things to give you an idea of what's going on.

So you may have heard the UK voted to leave the EU. This has caused a few issues for many people already and may cause an issue for me as well. My status in the UK is dependant on my wife who is an EU citizen. Until we have an idea of what's happening with the negotiations my status is up in the air. I need to apply for permanent residency and that is based on my wife being the sponsor. I'm not sure how much they take my wage into consideration but there is a possibility that I may be rejected still due to other factors involved in the application process. My current visa expires next April, so I have time to see how things play out. Still it's an uneasy feeling.

Our plans prior to this whole mess was to stay in the UK for the next 5/6 years and then move. However, with this change in status for the UK in the EU it's rather pointless to stick around. As it is, we're working to get things sorted in the next 1-2 years now. Plan currently is moving to the south of France but that will depend on how the elections pan out there as well. So plan B is Finland. Plan C is back to Australia...

In any case as you can see it's quite disruptive and I'm not the only one going through this mess. Many EU citizens are having to do similar 'plans'.

The worst part for me is the house purchase. Had I known this was going to happen I wouldn't have bothered and I'd have about £40,000 in my account now. With the devaluation of the £ and the possibility of the house prices dropping we're in a bit of a conundrum. Hope is that we can still stay in positive equity. If not we're screwed.

To top it off, our remortgage is this year. So I need to have my permanent residency before that otherwise they may cancel our mortgage. Which wouldn't be good.

So it's very messy as you can see.

This is basically occupying my mind a lot. I have the potential at the moment to lose my status in the UK, which means losing my job and possibly my house. It's not the best place to be in.

So I hope you excuse me if I seem a bit grumpy and put off sometimes.

I liked your post to acknowledge that I read your situation, not at all that I like the situation.

You really do have a lot going on, so it's understandable. This sucks and I really hope that you guys would come to the best solution and get it all worked out. It's ridiculous that you are even put in this situation right now :(

If I can ask, why Finland? It's not a place I commonly hear so I'm curious. Is there family there?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

It's obviously hiding... sigh...

Tap the gear on the desktop site for Settings->General Settings->scroll to messaging and notification and make sure that "do not subscribe" is what you have saved. You can try resaving it again too.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I liked your post to acknowledge that I read your situation, not at all that I like the situation.

You really do have a lot going on, so it's understandable. This sucks and I really hope that you guys would come to the best solution and get it all worked out. It's ridiculous that you are even put in this situation right now :(

If I can ask, why Finland? It's not a place I commonly hear so I'm curious. Is there family there?

My wife's EU citizenship is Finnish.

Her grandparents and mother migrated to Australia in 1959. My wife was technically Finnish at birth but her citizenship lapsed but she was able to reclaim it.

That's why Finland.

We lived there for almost a year in 2010. It wasn't the best year but it was nice. It's a beautiful country and the people are a lot nicer than they seem.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I should also mention that yes my wife has family there. She is the first to return from Australia to Finland and was able to reconnect with a large portion of the family.

We would move back to Finland but we're unsure our ideas that we have for France would work there. Also the weather in France is a lot nicer... unless you like long dark winters and snow...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Though our situation is frustrating there are other EU citizens in worst position than us. To the point of families being broken up. It's completely disgusting.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I just want to give an update on my life at the moment. I normally don't discuss much on here about it anymore but I thought I'd say a couple of things to give you an idea of what's going on.

So you may have heard the UK voted to leave the EU. This has caused a few issues for many people already and may cause an issue for me as well. My status in the UK is dependant on my wife who is an EU citizen. Until we have an idea of what's happening with the negotiations my status is up in the air. I need to apply for permanent residency and that is based on my wife being the sponsor. I'm not sure how much they take my wage into consideration but there is a possibility that I may be rejected still due to other factors involved in the application process. My current visa expires next April, so I have time to see how things play out. Still it's an uneasy feeling.

Our plans prior to this whole mess was to stay in the UK for the next 5/6 years and then move. However, with this change in status for the UK in the EU it's rather pointless to stick around. As it is, we're working to get things sorted in the next 1-2 years now. Plan currently is moving to the south of France but that will depend on how the elections pan out there as well. So plan B is Finland. Plan C is back to Australia...

In any case as you can see it's quite disruptive and I'm not the only one going through this mess. Many EU citizens are having to do similar 'plans'.

The worst part for me is the house purchase. Had I known this was going to happen I wouldn't have bothered and I'd have about £40,000 in my account now. With the devaluation of the £ and the possibility of the house prices dropping we're in a bit of a conundrum. Hope is that we can still stay in positive equity. If not we're screwed.

To top it off, our remortgage is this year. So I need to have my permanent residency before that otherwise they may cancel our mortgage. Which wouldn't be good.

So it's very messy as you can see.

This is basically occupying my mind a lot. I have the potential at the moment to lose my status in the UK, which means losing my job and possibly my house. It's not the best place to be in.

So I hope you excuse me if I seem a bit grumpy and put off sometimes.
I'm working through my own issues here...Looking at moving, new job and a very lean Intermezzo period as I secure these things.

One of the girls who works at the internship is here via the Dream Act so she is technically "undocumented". And it is stressing her the F out.

There are a lot of people facing the issues you're facing. The good thing is you have the experience of moving and there are some options.

Good luck with you figuring this out...I'm sure you'll find the balance you need.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I'm working through my own issues here...Looking at moving, new job and a very lean Intermezzo period as I secure these things.

One of the girls who works at the internship is here via the Dream Act so she is technically "undocumented". And it is stressing her the F out.

There are a lot of people facing the issues you're facing. The good thing is you have the experience of moving and there are some options.

Good luck with you figuring this out...I'm sure you'll find the balance you need.

I feel sorry for anyone going through this kind of mess.

I do have experience moving countries however I never had to contend with being forced to move. That and the selling of a house, possibly at a loss.

It's an overall cluster **** here. However, most UK citizens are completely and utterly blind to it. Especially those who voted to leave.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Sometimes pictures don't do things justice. This is the medieval citadel sitting on the hill top, La Cite, in Carcassonne, France. It's massive!

DSC_0106_1.JPG

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I feel sorry for anyone going through this kind of mess.

I do have experience moving countries however I never had to contend with being forced to move. That and the selling of a house, possibly at a loss.

It's an overall cluster **** here. However, most UK citizens are completely and utterly blind to it. Especially those who voted to leave.
It's a comedy of errors...A very tragic one that affects thousands of people in the UK, US and connected countries.

I still need to get my US citizenship, not that I honestly want it but it is necessary for me to access certain things. The plan was to do this last summer but that got screwed over by my illness and the school past spring. I just hope that I can still do it as i know it'll be even more of an asspain to get thanks to the hairy ****** in the La Casa Blanca...

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

It's a comedy of errors...A very tragic one that affects thousands of people in the UK, US and connected countries.

I still need to get my US citizenship, not that I honestly want it but it is necessary for me to access certain things. The plan was to do this last summer but that got screwed over by my illness and the school past spring. I just hope that I can still do it as i know it'll be even more of an asspain to get thanks to the hairy ****** in the La Casa Blanca...

The sooner you can apply the better. Hopefully you should be done in about 3 months from start to finish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster