WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Ahh I hate it when that happens. :/ Sounds like you have reason to be picky.
Yup. there have only been 3 "Chinese" restaurants I'll eat from here in NYC so far, and two are closed. The other one swapped out their ingredients and now they taste even better.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

It looked better than it tasted - flat and with no flavor. There's a reason why I'm picky when it comes to "Chinese" food...very few places make it in sch a way my bod tolerates it well these days - usually the better the ingredients, the easier it is to eat.

My stomach was so displeased I had to do something I very rarely do - use a public restroom...
I'm sorry that this food was so disagreeable. 😞

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Yup. there have only been 3 "Chinese" restaurants I'll eat from here in NYC so far, and two are closed. The other one swapped out their ingredients and now they taste even better.
I steer clear of most Chinese restaurants. I make my own Chinese food at home.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

It looks like I'm getting new speakers tomorrow, speaker wire and banana cables on Friday, and an amp on Monday. So I won't be able to use the speakers until next week.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

It looked better than it tasted - flat and with no flavor. There's a reason why I'm picky when it comes to "Chinese" food...very few places make it in sch a way my bod tolerates it well these days - usually the better the ingredients, the easier it is to eat.

My stomach was so displeased I had to do something I very rarely do - use a public restroom...

I had a bad experience with Chinese food in California when I visited a few years back. Was by far the worst I ever had.

The UK is not great for Chinese food, even in London's China Town. It's pretty average and trying to find a good place is difficult. Australia was the best by far. In general you can find a good place pretty much anywhere.

I'm also no fan of public toilets... :/

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

It looks like I'm getting new speakers tomorrow, speaker wire and banana cables on Friday, and an amp on Monday. So I won't be able to use the speakers until next week.

What speakers and amp did you get? You're getting right into your stereo system! Did you go fancy with the speaker cable?

I've downsized. I got rid of my mini system and now only have two Bose Mini Soundlink II speakers.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

But, I step back and casually say: 13 years ago I moved to the US only with my documents and my life in two suitcases

I did this in 2003 when I moved to Australia. I didn't have much to take anyway so my life fit easily in two suitcases (one large, one small). My wife (then girlfriend, who lived in Australia) didn't have a place of her own and we started life from scratch in Brisbane.

In 2009 I did this again when moving to Finland, this time with my wife. We've left some things in Australia which we have plans to hopefully sort out next year. Personal things, not furniture or anything like that. Then we'll hopefully ship what's left to our new place, wherever that may be.

And I did this yet again when we moved to the UK. It's easier to move around with less stuff.

Our next step might not be as extreme but it's likely we won't take much with us for the next move either. Also we have a cat now so that adds a new element.

I've seen a few 'moving overseas' shows where people take all their stuff with them. The costs associated with that is ridiculous, especially anyone moving to Australia. I get the idea that people are attached to their stuff (even cars!) but really, you can get similar or even better things when you get there. Best to just start fresh. That's my main advice to anyone moving overseas. Take what you need you'll be less stressed about the whole process.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I did this in 2003 when I moved to Australia. I didn't have much to take anyway so my life fit easily in two suitcases (one large, one small). My wife (then girlfriend, who lived in Australia) didn't have a place of her own and we started life from scratch in Brisbane.

In 2009 I did this again when moving to Finland, this time with my wife. We've left some things in Australia which we have plans to hopefully sort out next year. Personal things, not furniture or anything like that. Then we'll hopefully ship what's left to our new place, wherever that may be.

And I did this yet again when we moved to the UK. It's easier to move around with less stuff.

Our next step might not be as extreme but it's likely we won't take much with us for the next move either. Also we have a cat now so that adds a new element.

I've seen a few 'moving overseas' shows where people take all their stuff with them. The costs associated with that is ridiculous, especially anyone moving to Australia. I get the idea that people are attached to their stuff (even cars!) but really, you can get similar or even better things when you get there. Best to just start fresh. That's my main advice to anyone moving overseas. Take what you need you'll be less stressed about the whole process.
The GF and my sister asked me once why I didn't add more personality to my apartment. My response was that it's not going to be my permanent home. I knew I was going to move eventually, so keeping it light is an advantage for me in this case. I think that until I find a true home, I'll always keep it light wherever I'm moving to.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I always find it slightly amusing that when things are dire for WM a 'happy' thread pops up.

Well, it's sad really but amusing nevertheless.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

The GF and my sister asked me once why I didn't add more personality to my apartment. My response was that it's not going to be my permanent home. I knew I was going to move eventually, so keeping it light is an advantage for me in this case. I think that until I find a true home, I'll always keep it light wherever I'm moving to.

We have stuff but typically sell it before moving on. That way we leave with some cash and no stuff.

It's a bit of a pain but there's always someone looking for a 'deal'.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

What speakers and amp did you get? You're getting right into your stereo system! Did you go fancy with the speaker cable?

I've downsized. I got rid of my mini system and now only have two Bose Mini Soundlink II speakers.
I'm getting these speakers. https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...okshelf-loudspeakers-black-ash&token=zFr72OD7

The speaker wire is 12 gauge.

This is the amp. https://www.amazon.com/Gemtune-X-1-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3653666

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Not really. I live in an apartment, so I don't have a huge living room. I just want better sound, and I'm all about analogue and vinyl records these days.

Just an electrical person's perspective on this. There's lots of information around, most of it wrong.

For any distance under 50 ft (15m) you do not need to use heavy gauge cables. Humans cannot detect any deterioration (there is none) when using smaller cables at these distances.

It's more important to use quality cables rather than heavier gauge.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Just an electrical person's perspective on this. There's lots of information around, most of it wrong.

For any distance under 50 ft (15m) you do not need to use heavy gauge cables. Humans cannot detect any deterioration (there is none) when using smaller cables at these distances.

It's more important to use quality cables rather than heavier gauge.
That's what the manual for the speakers recommended.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss