WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Mother in law gives me grief "how come you don't visit when I stop by?" Well, it's because you're talking to her and then she comes to talk to me to escape a few minutes.

Aww, you're such a good boyfriend. That's kind that you do that for her, even though your MIL asks you about this.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I finally took my own advice that I have given about helping someone else choose between 2 phones (which is essentially an honest pro and cons list about each phone and even the little things) and the results are surprising. I compared the SE to the Pixel (still plan to keep both, just wanted to be sure about which one to use primarily) and the SE wins over the Pixel.

So then why am I not using it? Since I wanted to know why, I left the sim in the Pixel and took the SE to work. I couldn't connect to the App Store using work WiFi but I was able to load the Play Store with no problem. (The iPhone 7 loaded the store but downloads were still slower and sometimes stuttered.) Even though the SE has a mute switch, it fits in every pocket and has great battery life, I'm willing to trade that for better connectivity in the Pixel, even though it fits in an OK amount of pockets and has generally good battery life.

I never realized how much I value connectivity but it does make sense when I think about how I use a phone. I think I finally get MIA's point on the compromise thing so I can say that I'm good for a bit. Besides it seems like phones are getting taller and taller, which is nice for how much we get in a screen but sucks when it comes to fitting into a pocket. Well, my pockets anyway.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

That's what you say, but at the same time, you do it because you really care for her, regardless of the fact that your MIL has a comment about it.
So here's the setup. Whenever I visit and her mother is there, they talk a ton and whenever she gets tired of that, I get used as the escape. Whenever I call and her mother is there, my phone call gets used as an escape, even though her mom comes in and talks to her while we're on the phone for half the time.

Her mom likes me though, so there's no issues there. I just know how it is and flow with it.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So here's the setup. Whenever I visit and her mother is there, they talk a ton and whenever she gets tired of that, I get used as the escape. Whenever I call and her mother is there, my phone call gets used as an escape, even though her mom comes in and talks to her while we're on the phone for half the time.

Her mom likes me though, so there's no issues there. I just know how it is and flow with it.

Ooh okay, I see. This sounds like a normal thing. That's awesome that her mom likes you though, sounds like it's all good.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I finally took my own advice that I have given about helping someone else choose between 2 phones (which is essentially an honest pro and cons list about each phone and even the little things) and the results are surprising. I compared the SE to the Pixel (still plan to keep both, just wanted to be sure about which one to use primarily) and the SE wins over the Pixel.

So then why am I not using it? Since I wanted to know why, I left the sim in the Pixel and took the SE to work. I couldn't connect to the App Store using work WiFi but I was able to load the Play Store with no problem. (The iPhone 7 loaded the store but downloads were still slower and sometimes stuttered.) Even though the SE has a mute switch, it fits in every pocket and has great battery life, I'm willing to trade that for better connectivity in the Pixel, even though it fits in an OK amount of pockets and has generally good battery life.

I never realized how much I value connectivity but it does make sense when I think about how I use a phone. I think I finally get MIA's point on the compromise thing so I can say that I'm good for a bit. Besides it seems like phones are getting taller and taller, which is nice for how much we get in a screen but sucks when it comes to fitting into a pocket. Well, my pockets anyway.
I still like windows enough where I miss it when I don't have it...plus, I like to leave my phone as a communicator and am used to carrying​ around extra gear...so the 950XL is permanently stuck on heavy camera and spare phone duties.

I never pegged you as the one phone solely type anyways. I'm glad you were able to figure out your process.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I still like windows enough where I miss it when I don't have it...plus, I like to leave my phone as a communicator and am used to carrying​ around extra gear...so the 950XL is permanently stuck on heavy camera and spare phone duties.

I never pegged you as the one phone solely type anyways. I'm glad you were able to figure out your process.

I actually feel similarly about windows, but I get what you're saying. I can picture that you do that with the 950 XL.

Before I started this journey of trying the other side a year ago, I was a one phone type but since I'm so attached to Windows (just not pleased with the massive tradeoffs at the moment for what I'm seeking), I can't be anymore. No one in my life gets why I can't just leave Windows behind and just use one. In some ways, I miss being a one phone person.

Buying apps across three platforms occasionally is hard. Recently, I bought Nine on Android, a female health app on Windows, and eh, I forgot what on iOS. Fortunately, I don't buy paid apps much there.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site

I actually feel similarly about windows, but I get what you're saying. I can picture that you do that with the 950 XL.

Before I started this journey of trying the other side a year ago, I was a one phone type but since I'm so attached to Windows (just not pleased with the massive tradeoffs at the moment for what I'm seeking), I can't be anymore. No one in my life gets why I can't just leave Windows behind and just use one. In some ways, I miss being a one phone person. Buying apps across three platforms occasionally is hard.

I hear that. It's tough to let go when you're committed to a certain OS. It has some amazing features and they're hard to let go. It's why I find I can never stick with just one and switch back and forth pretty consistently. It drives my wife crazy but I can't help it.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I hear that. It's tough to let go when you're committed to a certain OS. It has some amazing features and they're hard to let go. It's why I find I can never stick with just one and switch back and forth pretty consistently. It drives my wife crazy but I can't help it.

I totally agree. I thought that I was done buying Windows apps, but I'm not.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site

I've been getting the itch again to try a new phone and am really struggling with my decision. The KEYone is interesting and I love that battery life. Reviews have been pretty good so far. The s8 looks fun but I haven't really used a Samsung since the note 3. My wife really wants me to get an iPhone for the iMessage and FaceTime yadda yadda.

I'm just not sure what best fits my needs at this point. I love customization and whatnot which is why I've never been able to stick with the iPhones.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I've been getting the itch again to try a new phone and am really struggling with my decision. The KEYone is interesting and I love that battery life. Reviews have been pretty good so far. The s8 looks fun but I haven't really used a Samsung since the note 3. My wife really wants me to get an iPhone for the iMessage and FaceTime yadda yadda.

I'm just not sure what best fits my needs at this point. I love customization and whatnot which is why I've never been able to stick with the iPhones.
What are you using now?
Besides customization, what other features are important to you?

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site

I came from the LG G5 and Blackberry Passport SE. Then I've been fiddling with a couple Windows phones in the 640 and 1520 and had an iPhone 6s for a bit in there too. I also have a leeco le S3 right now that I use off and on.

They're all okay. I do a lot of messing around with ROMs and things on the le S3 just for fun and whatnot.

I'll actually admit I miss my BB. I don't play games and I really don't have a need for a lot of the social apps. I do wish they had better cameras as trying to take pictures of the kids usually ended up with some blurry shots.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site

As for features which I missed. I want a strong business device with great battery life. That's probably the most important to me. I use the phone all day for work and am on it a decent amount outside of work as well.

So main feature battery. From there I want something that takes good pictures and while I don't need the apps, I think I'd probably like to stay in android just because.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

As for features which I missed. I want a strong business device with great battery life. That's probably the most important to me. I use the phone all day for work and am on it a decent amount outside of work as well.

So main feature battery. From there I want something that takes good pictures and while I don't need the apps, I think I'd probably like to stay in android just because.

To me, it sounds like the KEYone would be up your alley. The camera on it isn't bad at all. Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQHvswl0WKg

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site

Yeah that's why I've been following it for awhile. It's definitely interesting to me. My wife might kill me if I get another BlackBerry (she really dislikes BB) for some reason. Haha

I'm likely leaning that way right now though.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I would have said the Key One as well.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Yeah that's why I've been following it for awhile. It's definitely interesting to me. My wife might kill me if I get another BlackBerry (she really dislikes BB) for some reason. Haha

I'm likely leaning that way right now though.
Explain to her it's an Alcatel. Couldn't hurt right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo