WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I'm also Gen X. However, I suspect my cynicism and pessimism was more related to untreated depression than being a product of my generation. I'm trying to move past the cynicism and pessimism that's pretty much been with me almost my entire life.
Laura, I think it's awesome that you are trying to move past it when sometimes it feels so much easier to just accept.

I think we can all (more so me) learn from you doing this.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I'm also Gen X. However, I suspect my cynicism and pessimism was more related to untreated depression than being a product of my generation. I'm trying to move past the cynicism and pessimism that's pretty much been with me almost my entire life.

Don't beat yourself up over the crazy things from the past 30-40 years. You didn't cause it, you didn't ask to a part of it so why should you be the one to suffer from it?

Mohamed Ashid

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I'm just here for the 150k th post. I was literally the 49,999th and 100,001th post - Everything adds up, to me being the 150k th post. ;)

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Don't beat yourself up over the crazy things from the past 30-40 years. You didn't cause it, you didn't ask to a part of it so why should you be the one to suffer from it?

Sometimes even when you know something is true, it's still hard to accept it. It takes time and getting tired of feeling that way. Been there done that (or doing that I guess).

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

It is nice to see people from the past drop in.
Let's see if Sahib makes a cameo appearance any time soon.
What's odd is that I would have thought the winter months (being Northern biased here) would have been more active, yet he we are and it appears people came out of their slumber or something... Or is that school? ;)

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

What's odd is that I would have thought the winter months (being Northern biased here) would have been more active, yet he we are and it appears people came out of their slumber or something... Or is that school? ;)
It's the first day of summer and the second day of Brexit negotiations...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

It's the first day of summer and the second day of Brexit negotiations...

I personally can care less about Brexit. Let the UK shoot itself in the foot, head, which ever visual you want...

It's another scorcher here today. Hot and humid. Just hoping that the partying slows down a touch a couple of houses down but I'm not holding my breath.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

There are things I'd definitely like to change, but as I said, not so easy. Would be nice if I could.

There are some things we obviously can't change but far as I'm concerned, everything else is flexible, to some extent.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Not to speak for Laura or anyone else for that matter.

Though your sentiment is nice, that's not what depression is. In reality, there's still lots of research to be done into it. It's a very complex condition since it involves our most important organ, our brain.

Currently we use drugs to help. There's some scepticism of whether these actually work or are good. At this stage, the consensus is that it's 'better than nothing' as they are shown to help. The bad part of these drugs tend to be the side effects.

Unfortunately these drugs are being dished out far too easily (most professionals agree with this) and I highly disagree with that. Everyone has bad times, that's part of life, using drugs doesn't solve the problem.

For some people however, these drugs can be a life saver and life changer. I don't believe though that they should be a long term solution and counselling should be part of the package.

Seeking help is usually the first step to recovery. Sometimes even realising you need help is the hard part.

Depression is a mental condition that can have serious consequences which can lead to physical harm if not treated. It's more than just about the past, the present or the future. It's a combination of things that we simply don't understand. As we simply don't know why someone feels like they do. What causes it and what to do exactly to fix it. That's the simple reality. We have 'ideas' that work but it's not perfect. Each person's situation and condition is unique. There is no simple solution.

That's where we are with mental health. We're still at early stages because it's one of those things that doesn't get discussed enough. That's not to say it's all bad, it's actually good that we have solutions that work. Just need to be better.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Not to speak for Laura or anyone else for that matter.

Though your sentiment is nice, that's not what depression is. In reality, there's still lots of research to be done into it. It's a very complex condition since it involves our most important organ, our brain.

Currently we use drugs to help. There's some scepticism of whether these actually work or are good. At this stage, the consensus is that it's 'better than nothing' as they are shown to help. The bad part of these drugs tend to be the side effects.

Unfortunately these drugs are being dished out far too easily (most professionals agree with this) and I highly disagree with that. Everyone has bad times, that's part of life, using drugs doesn't solve the problem.

For some people however, these drugs can be a life saver and life changer. I don't believe though that they should be a long term solution and counselling should be part of the package.

Seeking help is usually the first step to recovery. Sometimes even realising you need help is the hard part.

Depression is a mental condition that can have serious consequences which can lead to physical harm if not treated. It's more than just about the past, the present or the future. It's a combination of things that we simply don't understand. As we simply don't know why someone feels like they do. What causes it and what to do exactly to fix it. That's the simple reality. We have 'ideas' that work but it's not perfect. Each person's situation and condition is unique. There is no simple solution.

That's where we are with mental health. We're still at early stages because it's one of those things that doesn't get discussed enough. That's not to say it's all bad, it's actually good that we have solutions that work. Just need to be better.
To speak from a service provider's perspective, it is not a straightforward process as someone walks in, pours their heart to you for 45 minutes, sees a psychiatrist to gets a script and goes along their merry way.

It is a very individualized process. Ideally, what is helpful is a mixture of psychotherapy aimed at improving coping skills and management strategies and pharmacology (if determined to be appropriate). Not everyone who experiences depression requires pharmacological interventions. The true focus should be a reduction in the amount of pharmacology (if determined to be appropriate) that the individual may need and a strengthening of the psychoeducational tools above. Because the process is so individualized and there are flaws within mental health systems, the sort of true fine tuning each individual may receive may not be as close to the ideal as needed. This isn't to say that some individuals receiving mental health services don't get this sort of delicate fine tuning, but the reality of life is that not everyone may be getting it in the way that reflects their personal goals and position in the process.

This not only applies for depression, but for other mental health issues as well. We as a contemporary society are still not in a place on a macro (societal) level where we can make it safe to acknowledge the importance of the complexities of mental health.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

To speak from a service provider's perspective, it is not a straightforward process as someone walks in, pours their heart to you for 45 minutes, sees a psychiatrist to gets a script and goes along their merry way.

I'm not sure if the US is different but in Canada, Australia and even here in the UK, the GP has the ability to give out scripts for antidepressants.

A patient can literally go in, see the doctor and walk out with a script. They may get a referral to a psychologist or psychiatrist if they're lucky. In the case of Canada or Australia... if they can afford it, as it's not covered by health care, at least when I was there.

All mental health issues are individual and should be treated as such. Unfortunately the 'costs' of dealing with it are high which is where the system typically falls apart. Why it's overly reliant on medicine and why some people don't seek counselling. Aside from the taboo of counselling that still exists.

Aside from my wife being a highly trained counsellor and has dealt with some extreme situations. I am familiar with the counselling process from past experiences, which were not mine but closely associated to me. It was one of those experiences that left me feeling less than enthused about about psychiatrists at the time but I know it wasn't the guy's fault.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)