WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Ooh okay, I see. Your comment was just interesting to me because a good amount of people I have met aren't into spicy food.
I am used to it because of my culture, but I do go through times when I eat spicy food and when I don't lol.

Because of it, I generally expect spicy food from some chains not to be really spicy.

My wife and I both love hot and spicy food. We eat it fairly regularly.

When we go to Thai restaurants we normally have to convince the waiter to give us the food as 'hot as Thai people like it' because even though it may have three chillies or more, it's typically not that hot.

I don't find restaurants to be that great with spicy food, especially chains. They're typically concerned with consistency of flavour.

I do know of some really good places for spicy food though. :)

What kind of food do you eat that is spicy? I'm always up for trying something new!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

My wife and I both love hot and spicy food. We eat it fairly regularly.

When we go to Thai restaurants we normally have to convince the waiter to give us the food as 'hot as Thai people like it' because even though it may have three chillies or more, it's typically not that hot.

I don't find restaurants to be that great with spicy food, especially chains. They're typically concerned with consistency of flavour.

I do know of some really good places for spicy food though. :)

What kind of food do you eat that is spicy? I'm always up for trying something new!

That's awesome that both of you do that. Nicee, I'm guessing that they are probably used to you doing that now. I agree with you on the point about restaurants. I have been surprised once though, just once.

I eat jellof rice and fried rice and those could be made spicy, just depends on how the latter one is made.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

That's awesome that both of you do that. Nicee, I'm guessing that they are probably used to you doing that now. I agree with you on the point about restaurants. I have been surprised once though, just once.

I eat jellof rice and fried rice and those could be made spicy, just depends on how the latter one is made.

So I found the jollof rice but fried rice makes me think of Chinese fried rice... What part of Africa is the cuisine from? :)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So I found the jollof rice but fried rice makes me think of Chinese fried rice... What part of Africa is the cuisine from? :)

Yeah fried rice is generally culturally similar (which is fascinating) but in my experience, it has shrimp, and/or little bits of meat or none of those. I prefer the none, but I am a picky eater. In my case, Nigeria.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

You guys are making me wish for a plate of fried rice with salted fish, Pattaya style... which is basically wrapping all the rice in an omelette.
.. with a glass of teh-tarikh (or pulled milk tea.)

...!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

You guys are making me wish for a plate of fried rice with salted fish, Pattaya style... which is basically wrapping all the rice in an omelette.
.. with a glass of teh-tarikh (or pulled milk tea.)

...!

That sounds like it is very good.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Yeah fried rice is generally culturally similar (which is fascinating) but in my experience, it has shrimp, and/or little bits of meat or none of those. I prefer the none, but I am a picky eater. In my case, Nigeria.

Thanks for that. :)

Is the curry powder unique? Most curry powder that I've used is fairly mild.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for that. :)

Is the curry powder unique? Most curry powder that I've used is fairly mild.

You're welcome!

From how I have seen my mom cook with it, no. It's down to the seasoning, which can include grounded red pepper (which makes it hot). I know how to make some things but not as much as she does haha.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

If you use TuneIn Radio there's a station called Diva Radio that is all funk. It covers everything from classics to modern. Also has some unique mixes.

But yeah I want the list as well... :D
I'll post it as soon as it's done. It's about 30 songs deep, maybe more coming.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

MIA, this made me think of you. I like this guy's insights, and he actually worked for the parent company of OnePlus, so his perspective is interesting. He basically breaks down how he sees the hype and the holes in it. You don't have to watch it but he shared some points that I didn't realize. (This video deserves a mic drop...haha)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QP6pm1DM1Q

Related: I just read this and he has some points. It's kind of amusing how some of the comments are saying that he's a hater. http://www.androidauthority.com/oneplus-5-value-proposition-781622/

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

MIA, this made me think of you. I like this guy's insights, and he actually worked for the parent company of OnePlus, so his perspective is interesting. He basically breaks down how he sees the hype and the holes in it. You don't have to watch it but he shared some points that I didn't realize. (This video deserves a mic drop...haha)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QP6pm1DM1Q

Related: I just read this and he has some points. It's kind of amusing how some of the comments are saying that he's a hater. http://www.androidauthority.com/oneplus-5-value-proposition-781622/
Thanks for posting this. See what many people fail to remember is that like any other product, OEMs are trying to cultivate the intangibles such as mindshare and emotional connection to a brand to ensure their viability. Because a cell phone isn't a perishable commodity, it has to be done in such a way that you are constantly trying to sell one phone to a wide number of people, as opposed to selling multiple copies product to one individual.

I disliked OnePlus' marketing strategy for the OnePlus One. I liked the phone, when you got a model that didn't have display issues. But what has me staying away from them is how they shat on their customers with their customer service. There are so many horrid stories of people trying to get replacements, etc. Intelligent folks know all OnePlus is is a now glorified sub-brand of Oppo. The only difference is they are working with a tiny marketing budget.

Example: tell me why when it was uber hard at one point to get a OnePlus 3 during supply constraints (4-6week delays) MKBHD was able to partner with OnePlus and D-Brand to give away 400(!) phones!?

I'm not hating on them, but don't put lipstick on a Chester White pig and come and tell me you're selling me a Mangalitsa.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for posting this. See what many people fail to remember is that like any other product, OEMs are trying to cultivate the intangibles such as mindshare and emotional connection to a brand to ensure their viability. Because a cell phone isn't a perishable commodity, it has to be done in such a way that you are constantly trying to sell one phone to a wide number of people, as opposed to selling multiple copies product to one individual.

I disliked OnePlus' marketing strategy for the OnePlus One. I liked the phone, when you got a model that didn't have display issues. But what has me staying away from them is how they shat on their customers with their customer service. There are so many horrid stories of people trying to get replacements, etc. Intelligent folks know all OnePlus is is a now glorified sub-brand of Oppo. The only difference is they are working with a tiny marketing budget.

Example: tell me why when it was uber hard at one point to get a OnePlus 3 during supply constraints (4-6week delays) MKBHD was able to partner with OnePlus and D-Brand to give away 400(!) phones!?

I'm not hating on them, but don't put lipstick on a Chester White pig and come and tell me you're selling me a Mangalitsa.

You're welcome. You're so right on the emotional connection point.

Hmm yeah I noticed that with his giveaway and I was confused. It didn't make any sense to me at all how that can happen.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

You're welcome. You're so right on the emotional connection point.

Hmm yeah I noticed that with his giveaway and I was confused. It didn't make any sense to me at all how that can happen.
It makes sense. If you don't have a traditional marketing budget, then you have to leverage social media and a tighter refresh cycle to stay in the news. For example, Samsung can buy ads anytime, and in any market, so they have ads a certain way in a full campaign. OnePlus doesn't have that luxury. It needs to do shenanigans like this to get their marketing done.

It's why I'm not surprised they stuck with a 1080P display, for instance. If we sit and analyze big OEMs, we all know that they use massive industries of scale to keep manufacturing costs low. I remember the days I think it was the iPhone 4 cost like $192 to build, per unit...and Apple was charging the same $800 for it and was swimming in profits.

I'm sure OnePlus is leveraging Oppo to help with sourcing parts, etc. As much as they talk about original design, the 5 shares similar language to the Opportunity R11, just as the 3 and 3T shared similar language to another Oppo device last year. Their hardware is good, software is solid, but their customer service is pure excrement. That's a no-brainer no-buy for me.

Again, it's no hate from me...I just see through the hype. A benefit of being platform and device agnostic, I suppose...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

On one hand, I'm slightly tempted to keep the G5+ but on the other, I'm not.

The performance of the G5 Plus has impressed me. I did get to a point where it told me to clear some apps because it's affecting performance (I have the one with 32GB storage, but I forget the amount of RAM, probably 2GB). Screen is a little dim though, but it's not too bad.

The camera has been a mixed bag. For some reason, indoor shots are a little white wasted, but low light isn't terrible. It's OK, in fact, I would argue that it is better than my Lumia 650 is in that area. Battery life is too early to tell of course.

The camera and the size of the phone itself make me not tempted at all to keep it and get another one for my uncle. Motorola/Lenovo did a heck of a job with this phone.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Ugh yes. It sucks. I have tried to do it before going out once and I set myself up Never again.

I feel you. It became so common on WP that it really became just annoying. Luckily, I don't have to do it often on Android.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Since Rose and Rue were curious... it's a work in progress, but this is what I have so far. There's obviously tons of stuff missing and it's more known songs, but it's a casual playlist...
8e0d68f47b45b8e437154405b59a5acc.jpg
81e8fbfba09a78b39aaa13454680accf.jpg
450976e02a1d7d770523923cee3de365.jpg
ec37ede826fbbb7d458a6920b13547f6.jpg
c4610a13dd9b1f7b612fa16294a42af8.jpg

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

I'll definitely check them out. What's the name of the app? I'd say Groove but I can't remember if you're still using a WM10 device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05