WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I hate unpredictable weather. Pity the farmers and crop planters, doing all the agronomic fundamental correctly only for a dry spell to wipe out a season"s harvest. I spent 14 years in a cocoa farm, one of the more weather-sensitive crop...

...!!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I hate unpredictable weather. Pity the farmers and crop planters, doing all the agronomic fundamental correctly only for a dry spell to wipe out a season"s harvest. I spent 14 years in a cocoa farm, one of the more weather-sensitive crop...

...!!

UK is highly unpredictable. The weather people get it wrong quite often.

It's understandable though because of where the UK is located.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Just some shots from walking on the local beach yesterday. I didn't have the resolution turned up so these are not the best shots.

DSC_0001-01.jpeg

DSC_0004-01.jpeg

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

They're doing what they can to make the UK as unattractive for EU citizens as possible...

Well they already did that but this will just make it even more so.

This will make even more EU citizens leave and will prevent more from wanting to come work here. They're already doing this but I think this will make it clear the UK doesn't want them.

There's already a significant drop in EU applications for jobs in the UK.
This isn't very smart of them, because I'm sure like here in the US, there are certain jobs locally born UK youth wouldn't do that foreigners were doing...

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

They're doing what they can to make the UK as unattractive for EU citizens as possible...

Well they already did that but this will just make it even more so.

This will make even more EU citizens leave and will prevent more from wanting to come work here. They're already doing this but I think this will make it clear the UK doesn't want them.

There's already a significant drop in EU applications for jobs in the UK.

So no one will steal their jobd anymore right? Can't wait to see what's going to happen with that.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

This isn't very smart of them, because I'm sure like here in the US, there are certain jobs locally born UK youth wouldn't do that foreigners were doing...

Yes, you're very much correct. Not only youth but other people who used to have 'good paying jobs' can't compete with EU citizens in the same job.

The UK is creating a hostile environment for immigration, which started back when May was in charge of immigration. There is no way that companies are going to want to pay for visas to hire people for low wage work. So some of these industries are going move, charge more or simple collapse. Sadly, one of them is farming...

It's a mess.

There are all sorts of issues around immigration and I get those. I can easily explain the issues but in general, I think the UK is out to shoot itself in the foot. I also get the impression they're setting up the EU as the 'bad guys', yet again.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Yes, you're very much correct. Not only youth but other people who used to have 'good paying jobs' can't compete with EU citizens in the same job.

The UK is creating a hostile environment for immigration, which started back when May was in charge of immigration. There is no way that companies are going to want to pay for visas to hire people for low wage work. So some of these industries are going move, charge more or simple collapse. Sadly, one of them is farming...

It's a mess.

There are all sorts of issues around immigration and I get those. I can easily explain the issues but in general, I think the UK is out to shoot itself in the foot. I also get the impression they're setting up the EU as the 'bad guys', yet again.
Or they're taking a page out of the US playbook...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Or they're taking a page out of the US playbook...

The right wing media and right wing politicians have been hostile to the EU pretty much since day one. So it would be no surprise that they'll blame the EU for any negative impact.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

So no one will steal their jobd anymore right? Can't wait to see what's going to happen with that.

The UK has record unemployment (the numbers are BS but hey...). The simple truth is, even though jobs is something that's brought up, typically it's more about pay than getting a job, but the bigger issue is about local services.

Biggest issue is that the UK simply does not invest in local services and because immigration happens in these small towns the services become strapped. So that's where a lot of the anger comes from but has nothing to do with immigrants or the EU...

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

The right wing media and right wing politicians have been hostile to the EU pretty much since day one. So it would be no surprise that they'll blame the EU for an negative impact.
Sigh. You know, I always wanted to live in the UK. I almost went balls to the walls and moved there for graduate school after my first few years here in the US. If my undergraduate degree looked more palatable to schools, I would have done it. But, I guess things work out for a reason...

I still may visit, but that's about it.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

That's the same mantra being chanted in the US. "Those Mexicans are stealing our jobs" blah, blah and more blah. Those "Mexicans" do what nobody else is willing to do. I've been in the construction industry for over 30 years and I can't remember the last time I saw a 'Murican doing ironwork on a deck, plastering stucco or digging for pile caps. If the lilies had to pick lettuce & tomatoes a salad would cost $50.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

That's the same mantra being chanted in the US. "Those Mexicans are stealing our jobs" blah, blah and more blah. Those "Mexicans" do what nobody else is willing to do. I've been in the construction industry for over 30 years and I can't remember the last time I saw a 'Murican doing ironwork on a deck, plastering stucco or digging for pile caps. If the lilies had to pick lettuce & tomatoes a salad would cost $50.
And of course, the people how do that on the shady site get charged for pennies in unsafe conditions. Most times when you hear of a death of serious injury in the news at a construction site in NY, it's usually one who has had code violations (and often times the worker is Hispanic).

I have no problem with the lilies not wanting to do certain jobs, but don't shat all over those who are doing the work. You cannot have it the whole way by crying the jobs (that you WANT to do and are in many ways not qualified to do) are gone, but don't want people to come in and work because they are stealing jobs (that you DON'T want to do).

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Sigh. You know, I always wanted to live in the UK. I almost went balls to the walls and moved there for graduate school after my first few years here in the US. If my undergraduate degree looked more palatable to schools, I would have done it. But, I guess things work out for a reason...

I still may visit, but that's about it.

I know someone who used to live in the UK in the 90's. She lives in San Fran now (American). She really enjoyed her time here, regardless of her horrible partner at the time. Thing is, even back then she recalls people being against foreigners and generally racist.

The typical tact is to talk about foreigners to your face then you mention that you're a foreigner, but somehow, we're OK... British people generally suck. Not all of them of course but they're not generally nice people.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I know someone who used to live in the UK in the 90's. She lives in San Fran now (American). She really enjoyed her time here, regardless of her horrible partner at the time. Thing is, even back then she recalls people being against foreigners and generally racist.

The typical tact is to talk about foreigners to your face then you mention that you're a foreigner, but somehow, we're OK... British people generally suck. Not all of them of course but they're not generally nice people.
I knew about that. We (my country) just like in the 80s had a great reputation both in the US and UK and could get jobs easily. Then the 90s rolled around and some of the criminally minded got into both placed and sullied our rep. Now it's just mixed.

You'd be surprised (not Rue) how racist some can get. I remember my uncle's sister came to visit with her niece when I was younger (they were black) and tried to shat over us because they were from the UK. And I know of people who live in the UK and dealt with the horrible racist episodes in spades...that's no different that in some places still here in the US.

Struggle is still real in 2017 with that topic...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I knew about that. We (my country) just like in the 80s had a great reputation both in the US and UK and could get jobs easily. Then the 90s rolled around and some of the criminally minded got into both placed and sullied our rep. Now it's just mixed.

You'd be surprised (not Rue) how racist some can get. I remember my uncle's sister came to visit with her niece when I was younger (they were black) and tried to shat over us because they were from the UK. And I know of people who live in the UK and dealt with the horrible racist episodes in spades...that's no different that in some places still here in the US.

Struggle is still real in 2017 with that topic...

I remember in the 90s in Canada that construction companies were hiring from Jamaica and other Caribbean countries due to the skills shortage and the fact they were simply good workers.

My wife showed me this video yesterday. I wish I could find it to show you how bad things can get here.

A bus driver (appears to be of Eastern European descent) asked a passenger to confirm they had paid to enter the bus. They guy, British, totally flipped out. I'm guessing he was on something or had some issues, not sure but the verbal abuse and sheer violent nature was astonishing. The guy first yelled at the driver and then bashed the door where the driver sat (here in the UK drivers are quite protected), he then got out in front of the bus bashed at the window a bit and then bent the window wipers. He also tried to attack the driver from the side window. All the while verbally abusing the driver with racist slurs.

Two guys went out and calmed him down eventually.

Hopefully the police catch this guy.

It was completely mind blowing.

Sadly, this is not uncommon. People are being spat at daily. Others are name calling and racial slurs have become the norm. This is what Brexit has done to the UK... freedom to be a**holes.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I remember in the 90s in Canada that construction companies were hiring from Jamaica and other Caribbean countries due to the skills shortage and the fact they were simply good workers.

My wife showed me this video yesterday. I wish I could find it to show you how bad things can get here.

A bus driver (appears to be of Eastern European descent) asked a passenger to confirm they had paid to enter the bus. They guy, British, totally flipped out. I'm guessing he was on something or had some issues, not sure but the verbal abuse and sheer violent nature was astonishing. The guy first yelled at the driver and then bashed the door where the driver sat (here in the UK drivers are quite protected), he then got out in front of the bus bashed at the window a bit and then bent the window wipers. He also tried to attack the driver from the side window. All the while verbally abusing the driver with racist slurs.

Two guys went out and calmed him down eventually.

Hopefully the police catch this guy.

It was completely mind blowing.

Sadly, this is not uncommon. People are being spat at daily. Others are name calling and racial slurs have become the norm. This is what Brexit has done to the UK... freedom to be a**holes.
And with Trump, it's the same here. Even in a place like NYC, these ignorant behavioring people are coming out fo the woodwork. It's just a sad and unnecessary thing.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

And with Trump, it's the same here. Even in a place like NYC, these ignorant behavioring people are coming out fo the woodwork. It's just a sad and unnecessary thing.

Agreed.

Our flagship public university was national news for the senseless death of a graduating student (from another school in our system) being killed (they say that they were investigating if it was a hate crime (he was black), but in this case, it was) on the campus last month. They really are. And considering that this school hasn't been in the news much for that kind of activity was shocking to me.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Agreed.

Our flagship public university was national news for the senseless death of a graduating student (from another school in our system) being killed (they say that they were investigating if it was a hate crime (he was black), but in this case, it was) on the campus last month. They really are. And considering that this school hasn't been in the news much for that kind of activity was shocking to me.
There are too many instances of this stuff.

The truth is, most humans of all ethnicities share the common idea of simply wanting to build a safe life: work, pursuing certain goals and responsibilities.

The ignorance comes in when it's perceived that someone who is different (physical features, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, possessing a visible physical and or emotional "disability") is getting in the way of those things.

Most times that's not the case. The thing that always gets me is when people make a racist statement about an ethnic group and have a friend from that ethnic group. So why doesn't the friend fit the same comment? "Well, (s)he is different."

Really. SMH.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

There are too many instances of this stuff.

The truth is, most humans of all ethnicities share the common idea of simply wanting to build a safe life: work, pursuing certain goals and responsibilities.

The ignorance comes in when it's perceived that someone who is different (physical features, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, possessing a visible physical and or emotional "disability") is getting in the way of those things.

Most times that's not the case. The thing that always gets me is when people make a racist statement about an ethnic group and have a friend from that ethnic group. So why doesn't the friend fit the same comment? "Well, (s)he is different."

Really. SMH.

Well said.

Ugh the last thing you mentioned has happened to me a lot. There was a point in my life when I saw that as a compliment (i'll rather not elaborate on that openly, but if one wishes to know, message me) but thankfully I realized that it's not one and that it is actually terrible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786