WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

When it all started I had a feeling it was mostly related to IT industry. It's common thing to have very diverse teams working together in a foreign country, and on top of everything there's a more than a fine wage.

For instance, Rockstar had already said that they're going to have serious issues, once UK leaves UE. They're going to lost both the open market and many fonds.

The IT industry had nothing to do with the situation in the UK.

The problems in the UK started back in the early 80s when 'traditional' employment started to disappear from the northern areas of the country and industries shut down leaving thousands unemployed and given no means to develop new skills. Then add to the unattractive nature and poor infrastructure of the north for other industries and you have what can only be described as a recipe for disaster.

There are places in the north where people have been generally unemployed since their industry shut down. There are towns that are basically dead or dying. People lament about 'the good ol days'.

A lot of these towns have little to no employment opportunities to begin with, but then some industries go out of their way to employ workers from the EU who will work for less or specifically, got contracted from their own country to work in the UK. Not sure what news you get but there are EU truck drivers, as an example, who basically live to work. They get paid barely a living wage, let alone any ability to thrive. This is a perfect example of what is wrong with our 'cheap' economy.

The UK had implemented policies that allow this to happen. A lot of people blame the EU, thanks to the right wing media, but in truth a lot of the destructive policies are due to the UK. Because the EU doesn't have jurisdiction on what employment laws a country can bring in.

To add further fuel to the fire the right wing media constantly goes on about immigration and how immigrants are stealing jobs. The farming sector is big employer of EU citizens (A British person would never work in farming) and this unfortunately means that EU citizens live in small rural areas which can't handle the influx of immigration and put stress on the services. The UK government have done little to help. Lots of EU citizens also work in many of the industries that most UK workers wouldn't touch. Most are hard work and low paid.

It's the stress of the services that gets people angry and the lack of other employment in the area. If British citizens were employed in 'better' jobs and had good services than there would be no issue with EU citizens. British people need to have better opportunities of course... There will always be those who are anti-immigration but I don't think the EU referendum result would have been the same if things were handled differently.

I would also point out that EU citizens work in a lot of industries and without them those industries would not be thriving. They're high skilled and well paid.

The last thing out of all this of course was the refugee crisis and the right wing media constantly proclaiming that they were all coming to the UK. The referendum couldn't have been at a worse time. Because immigration has been such an issue for many years here in the UK, this just tipped it. OF course refuges have nothing to do with the EU again, but that didn't stop those who wanted to leave the EU using it to their advantage.

Out of all this I will say this much. The UK has a horrible immigration system to begin with. They did nothing to implement EU freedom of movement policies correctly, due to the cost of course, so in all reality they have no one to blame but themselves for the mess they created.

On top of that, the ability to contract EU workers directly from their country and the implementation of zero hour contracts (both policies pushed by the UK in the EU as well) has created an environment of uncertainty of workers in low paid, low skilled jobs. This is why the UK has the issues it does.

Don't even get me started on the so called 'Gig economy' and what that has done.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

The IT industry had nothing to do with the situation in the UK.

The problems in the UK started back in the early 80s when 'traditional' employment started to disappear from the northern areas of the country and industries shut down leaving thousands unemployed and given no means to develop new skills. Then add to the unattractive nature and poor infrastructure of the north for other industries and you have what can only be described as a recipe for disaster.

There are places in the north where people have been generally unemployed since their industry shut down. There are towns that are basically dead or dying. People lament about 'the good ol days'.

A lot of these towns have little to no employment opportunities to begin with, but then some industries go out of their way to employ workers from the EU who will work for less or specifically, got contracted from their own country to work in the UK. Not sure what news you get but there are EU truck drivers, as an example, who basically live to work. They get paid barely a living wage, let alone any ability to thrive. This is a perfect example of what is wrong with our 'cheap' economy.

The UK had implemented policies that allow this to happen. A lot of people blame the EU, thanks to the right wing media, but in truth a lot of the destructive policies are due to the UK. Because the EU doesn't have jurisdiction on what employment laws a country can bring in.

To add further fuel to the fire the right wing media constantly goes on about immigration and how immigrants are stealing jobs. The farming sector is big employer of EU citizens (A British person would never work in farming) and this unfortunately means that EU citizens live in small rural areas which can't handle the influx of immigration and put stress on the services. The UK government have done little to help. Lots of EU citizens also work in many of the industries that most UK workers wouldn't touch. Most are hard work and low paid.

It's the stress of the services that gets people angry and the lack of other employment in the area. If British citizens were employed in 'better' jobs and had good services than there would be no issue with EU citizens. British people need to have better opportunities of course... There will always be those who are anti-immigration but I don't think the EU referendum result would have been the same if things were handled differently.

I would also point out that EU citizens work in a lot of industries and without them those industries would not be thriving. They're high skilled and well paid.

The last thing out of all this of course was the refugee crisis and the right wing media constantly proclaiming that they were all coming to the UK. The referendum couldn't have been at a worse time. Because immigration has been such an issue for many years here in the UK, this just tipped it. OF course refuges have nothing to do with the EU again, but that didn't stop those who wanted to leave the EU using it to their advantage.

Out of all this I will say this much. The UK has a horrible immigration system to begin with. They did nothing to implement EU freedom of movement policies correctly, due to the cost of course, so in all reality they have no one to blame but themselves for the mess they created.

On top of that, the ability to contract EU workers directly from their country and the implementation of zero hour contracts (both policies pushed by the UK in the EU as well) has created an environment of uncertainty of workers in low paid, low skilled jobs. This is why the UK has the issues it does.

Don't even get me started on the so called 'Gig economy' and what that has done.

It all really brings down to blaming EU and immigrants for issues created back in 80s and 90s.

I'm curious to see if Brits are actually going to take those 'stolen jobs', the ones consisting of physical labor and low wages. You know my bet on this one.

I haven't noticed a negative attitude from EU towards UK. They're acting like it's all flowers and butterflies, like they're on friendly terms. While we all know it's far from that. If Merkel wasn't in charge of Germany, UK would be already toast.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

It all really brings down to blaming EU and immigrants for issues created back in 80s and 90s.

Well It's a bit more complex than that but that's where some of the issues stem from. A common thing to do in every society is to blame 'others' for you problems. There's also the issue of globalisation as well. It's fairly complex and I was trying really hard not to go too in depth but the issues in the UK stems from a north/south divide and a rich/poor divide and generally old/new policies that do nothing to address the issues. The government since the 80s, whether it was Tory or Labour has done little to fix issues and has created this mess. The UK is a country steeped in benefit mentality instead of addressing the underlining issues of skill shortage.

I'm curious to see if Brits are actually going to take those 'stolen jobs', the ones consisting of physical labor and low wages. You know my bet on this one.

The obvious answer here is no and the government knows it. There's talks of 'special visas' for farming but that may add additional costs to everything... but it's what the UK wants to do it seems. There will be costs to employers to hire outside the UK. I don't see employers, especially low wage employers, paying, so I see these industries moving, those that can that is.

I haven't noticed a negative attitude from EU towards UK. They're acting like it's all flowers and butterflies, like they're on friendly terms. While we all know it's far from that. If Merkel wasn't in charge of Germany, UK would be already toast.

The EU is being a lot more generous and positive than the UK is. I believe the EU has the best interest of everyone at heart but the UK, in my opinion, is out to place blame for any negative impact leaving the EU will have on the UK. There's lots of waffle around on this whole Brexit nonsense and since the UK government doesn't want to commit to anything or say what they want, it continues to be some vague thing.

There's a lot of uncertanity here in the UK. Some industries appear to be loving the idea of Brexit, mostly hospitality, for the reasons I believe that they think UK citizens will travel overseas less, while others are highly worried about it. It's all a very strange environment and difficult to explain without writing pages.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Well It's a bit more complex than that but that's where some of the issues stem from. A common thing to do in every society is to blame 'others' for you problems. There's also the issue of globalisation as well. It's fairly complex and I was trying really hard not to go too in depth but the issues in the UK stems from a north/south divide and a rich/poor divide and generally old/new policies that do nothing to address the issues. The government since the 80s, whether it was Tory or Labour has done little to fix issues and has created this mess. The UK is a country steeped in benefit mentality instead of addressing the underlining issues of skill shortage.

The obvious answer here is no and the government knows it. There's talks of 'special visas' for farming but that may add additional costs to everything... but it's what the UK wants to do it seems. There will be costs to employers to hire outside the UK. I don't see employers, especially low wage employers, paying, so I see these industries moving, those that can that is.

The EU is being a lot more generous and positive than the UK is. I believe the EU has the best interest of everyone at heart but the UK, in my opinion, is out to place blame for any negative impact leaving the EU will have on the UK. There's lots of waffle around on this whole Brexit nonsense and since the UK government doesn't want to commit to anything or say what they want, it continues to be some vague thing.

There's a lot of uncertanity here in the UK. Some industries appear to be loving the idea of Brexit, mostly hospitality, for the reasons I believe that they think UK citizens will travel overseas less, while others are highly worried about it. It's all a very strange environment and difficult to explain without writing pages.

Complex like pretty much all the stuff in politics. It seems like a the crap from the past is coming for us. Lack of visionary thinking got us here.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

OK... need a break from all the serious conversation... now for a little 'toilet' humour and I mean this literally...

At my work, I work in engineering for those wondering, the industry is very male dominate. It's about a 8:1 ratio I believe.

Anyway, as I may have mentioned, I'm working on a very large project and our offices are jammed packed full of people, mostly male.

Our offices don't really have adequate facilities. For example, the building I'm in has washroom facilities per floor and in each is two cubicles and two urinals. Each floor has approximately 100 people on it. You can do the maths...

Anyway, as you might guess the toilets get busy... occasionally things breakdown or get backed up.

The amusing part of this, is that people have a tendency to put a knotted piece of toilet paper on the handle to the cubicle... almost like a surrender flag.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

OK... need a break from all the serious conversation... now for a little 'toilet' humour and I mean this literally...

At my work, I work in engineering for those wondering, the industry is very male dominate. It's about a 8:1 ratio I believe.

Anyway, as I may have mentioned, I'm working a very large project and our offices are jammed packed full of people, mostly male.

Our offices don't really have adequate facilities. For example, the building I'm has washroom facilities per floor and in each is two cubicles and two urinals. Each floor has approximately 100 people on it. You can do the maths...

Anyway, as you might guess the toilets get busy... occasionally things breakdown or get backed up.

The amusing part of this, is that people have a tendency to put a knotted piece of toilet paper on the handle to the cubicle... almost like a surrender flag.

That does sound amusing.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Slowly, things are improving...just need to go through some bureaucracy, but this appears to be the turnaround I was working towards...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Slowly, things are improving...just need to go through some bureaucracy, but this appears to be the turnaround I was working towards...

That sounds like mostly good news. I wish you the best with your transitions, and I hope that you'll get all that you are working towards.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

That sounds like mostly good news. I wish you the best with your transitions, and I hope that you'll get all that you are working towards.
Thanks. Updates will happen, but due to an old school superstition if mine about not talking too much about things in process, I have to be cryptic.

But I had a very productive meeting this morning to move things forward. My fingers are still crossed.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Thanks. Updates will happen, but due to an old school superstition if mine about not talking too much about things in process, I have to be cryptic.

But I had a very productive meeting this morning to move things forward. My fingers are still crossed.

I get that. Good luck!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Anyway, as I may have mentioned, I'm working on a very large project and our offices are jammed packed full of people, mostly male.

Our offices don't really have adequate facilities. For example, the building I'm in has washroom facilities per floor and in each is two cubicles and two urinals. Each floor has approximately 100 people on it. You can do the maths...

Ain't that some S**h...

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

I can give you a bit of an update:

The wedding went really really well - the weather was a bit unsettled, raining in the morning but it cleared up in the afternoon/evening and she turned up so we ended up getting married - always a good thing. We got some great photos and the day went really quickly but at the same time I made sure to try to take it all in.

We went on honeymoon around Devon/Cornwall (as a type of mini-moon) for 5 days with a view to going to Italy later this year / spring next year and enjoying the place in slightly cooler weather.

The plan originally was to get moving into our new place the week before the wedding but that got put back to the week after, so the new plan then was to come back from mini-moon and move in but we've had delays getting paperwork from the local council for the people we're buying from. So we've currently been delayed for over 3 weeks and still have no moving in date right now but I'm hopeful it will be in the next two weeks or so.

Work promotion has been going well, still transitioning over but mostly there now. It's all working out now.

The one downside was that on mini-moon my 950XL gave up the ghost so I've now got a S8+ plus which is a nice phone but I wish it ran WM. I like having apps but I don't like the way android ways in some aspects.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99