WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I returned the phone successfully and now I am down to two phones with one active sim.

It already feels nice to not have any more phones to sell. I have lost count how many I have sold this year. Either way, it's a lot for someone who hates selling

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So far, my impressions offer the V20 hasn't changed. It's been a very nice music experience on it. The DAC is legit, even though I don't have good enough headphones.

Screen doesn't handle black in the way I'd like so I have to use a ton of white accents on the OS - unless I drop brightness to 25-30% due to the IPS glow. It's a nice panel though. I turned off the second screen.

We'll see. I need to see if I can get it off pre production software for a final verdict.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So far, my impressions offer the V20 hasn't changed. It's been a very nice music experience on it. The DAC is legit, even though I don't have good enough headphones.

Screen doesn't handle black in the way I'd like so I have to use a ton of white accents on the OS - unless I drop brightness to 25-30% due to the IPS glow. It's a nice panel though. I turned off the second screen.

We'll see. I need to see if I can get it off pre production software for a final verdict.

Nice about the DAC and music experience. I'm not surprised that you turned off the second screen. Hopefully you'll be able to update the software.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Nice about the DAC and music experience. I'm not surprised that you turned off the second screen. Hopefully you'll be able to update the software.
It has this history of burn-in, so I'm not taking the chance. We will see if I can update this thing.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I'm curious about more details with the V20, since I'm looking at possibly getting the V30 when released. I like big phones, and it looks like the LG V series and the Samsung Note series are the only ones that are the size I want. I don't like TouchWiz though.
It has this history of burn-in, so I'm not taking the chance. We will see if I can update this thing.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I'm curious about more details with the V20, since I'm looking at possibly getting the V30 when released. I like big phones, and it looks like the LG V series and the Samsung Note series are the only ones that are the size I want. I don't like TouchWiz though.
The Moto getting long in the tooth?

Sent from my Elite x3 on mTalk

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

The Moto getting long in the tooth?

Sent from my Elite x3 on mTalk
No, it still works fine. I'm just looking at getting something new, since it's been almost 2 years since I got the Moto. I don't even know if I will get a new phone at this time, but I'm looking.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

No, it still works fine. I'm just looking at getting something new, since it's been almost 2 years since I got the Moto. I don't even know if I will get a new phone at this time, but I'm looking.
First impressions for the V20 state that it is line with its multimedia and content creation reputation.

Audio is very good, so for you it should be fine with your music collection and your headphones.

Size is not that much of an issue...a little bit wider than the X Pure, mostly because it lacks the curve back of the Pure. It's a decent looking slab, the silver one looks way better.

LG is still rocking the Foghorn Leghorn UI - nothing that that Nova cannot help to make a difference with. It kinda works though because of how for me the panel handles black colors.

Screen is solid, as I said earlier I don't like the IPS glow when you use dark themes on it but your mileage may vary.

Phone is snappy enough on the S820...don't see any difference between it and the Mi Note 2 (S821 chip).

Camera seems OK, but I'm on pre production software. Not a fan of the camera lens (gotta be careful with it).

Battery life is hard to judge for the same reason as the camera due to the pre production software. Best feature is the removable battery.

In terms of Xposed, you can do it on this one but it depends...better off getting the US unlocked as I skinned and saw that AT&T model is a bear to root. I remember that's how you roll on your X Pure, but it's doable from what I skimmed.

It's a solid phone. I like the fact that I can use it without a case and have it feel nice in hand. Is it something I would go in to buy directly? Maybe, if I'm angling for the DAC and camera as my most used features. We'll see how the V30 looks.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

First impressions for the V20 state that it is line with its multimedia and content creation reputation.

Audio is very good, so for you it should be fine with your music collection and your headphones.

Size is not that much of an issue...a little bit wider than the X Pure, mostly because it lacks the curve back of the Pure. It's a decent looking slab, the silver one looks way better.

LG is still rocking the Foghorn Leghorn UI - nothing that that Nova cannot help to make a difference with. It kinda works though because of how for me the panel handles black colors.

Screen is solid, as I said earlier I don't like the IPS glow when you use dark themes on it but your mileage may vary.

Phone is snappy enough on the S820...don't see any difference between it and the Mi Note 2 (S821 chip).

Camera seems OK, but I'm on pre production software. Not a fan of the camera lens (gotta be careful with it).

Battery life is hard to judge for the same reason as the camera due to the pre production software. Best feature is the removable battery.

In terms of Xposed, you can do it on this one but it depends...better off getting the US unlocked as I skinned and saw that AT&T model is a bear to root. I remember that's how you roll on your X Pure, but it's doable from what I skimmed.

It's a solid phone. I like the fact that I can use it without a case and have it feel nice in hand. Is it something I would go in to buy directly? Maybe, if I'm angling for the DAC and camera as my most used features. We'll see how the V30 looks.
Thanks! That helps a lot. 😊

I would be getting an unlocked one, not any carrier models.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Hey rose, you don't get any vouchers for meals as students there. We get Vouchers for meals from our government, as many per month as there are working days. It's worth about 3€ so you can get full meal for about 3€ of your own payment, that is soup, main dish, salad and fruit. Or you can get Kebab, sandwich, burek,... Without paying extra. That is one awesome thing over here but I have no idea if it exists everywhere else.

No vouchere I believe, I think it's like you have an option to choose dishes from today's menu and that's it. Altough they say it's more than enough to keep you fed for a day.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

So, I found something interesting, well for me anyway.

I may have mentioned this group some time ago but I just found out that they reformed and are touring. They're in Canada, US and then Australia. They have a big following in Aus.

They're one of my favourite Canadian 90's bands. They're prog rock. They're somewhat melodramatic and the singer has, to me, a good voice. He's a musician with 'Absolute Pitch'. Their music tends to have influences from around the world. The first two albums had a heavy middle eastern sound and then they took on an electronica sound on my favourite album. They tend to experiment a lot.

Anyway, they're known as 'The Tea Party'. No connection to the US political movement. They don't do political songs either.

All their music is on YouTube, Spotify and there's a lot of live videos of concerts as well since they started touring again. They actually encourage the audience to video.

If you like their stuff I highly recommend seeing them live and I'm hoping they come to Europe.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I think I'm at the point with Android where the compromises are cutting it as much.

I'd like a balanced hardware and software experience. Many OEMs now make great hardware, but still lag behind on software. It's still as if I need to root to get what I want.

Love the hardware on the V20, but for some reason this version of LG's UX isn't sitting well with me. I love the G6's hardware, but the pace at which LG is doing updates now has changed.

I like what Xiaomi has done hardware wise, but the pace at which it is taking to get 7.0 is a long arc.

Would I get a Pixel? Maybe, but that only gives me 1 year of support for OS and 2 years for patches. Quite frankly, I just disagree with Google charging iPhone money for 2 years OS support, just to always have the lastest updates monthly and first OS updates.

Doesn't cut it anymore.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I think I'm at the point with Android where the compromises are cutting it as much.

I'd like a balanced hardware and software experience. Many OEMs now make great hardware, but still lag behind on software. It's still as if I need to root to get what I want.

Love the hardware on the V20, but for some reason this version of LG's UX isn't sitting well with me. I love the G6's hardware, but the pace at which LG is doing updates now has changed.

I like what Xiaomi has done hardware wise, but the pace at which it is taking to get 7.0 is a long arc.

Would I get a Pixel? Maybe, but that only gives me 1 year of support for OS and 2 years for patches. Quite frankly, I just disagree with Google charging iPhone money for 2 years OS support, just to always have the lastest updates monthly and first OS updates.

Doesn't cut it anymore.
Apple isn't an option and MSFT is still MIA. So I have to sit again and decide what compromises I want to make with Android. Oh, well...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Doesn't cut it anymore.
Yeah you have a great point on that. It's harder to compromise if you feel like they aren't worthwhile.
Since you mentioned this, I'm curious to know if there's a reasonable compromise for you outside of Xiaomi and Blackberry (Android I mean, not BB10).

Sent from mTalk

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Apple isn't an option and MSFT is still MIA. So I have to sit again and decide what compromises I want to make with Android. Oh, well...
Would a flagship Nokia change your mind? Apparently they plan to be on it when it comes to updates.

Sent from mTalk

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Would a flagship Nokia change your mind? Apparently they plan to be on it when it comes to updates.

Sent from mTalk
Nope.

Nokia is dead in the same way Research in Motion is. That's just another OEM with no track record of updates in using an OS that's new to them.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Personally I think mobile technology is a big problem when it comes to longevity. It was built on the premise of updating as frequently as possible to have the 'latest' tech. Thing is, how much further can we really go here? Where do we slow down to appreciate what we have? This yearly update cycle is a bit silly now. We're just making stuff for the sake of making it. It's a sad situation and it's creating more and more environmental problems.

They could, very easily, create a phone to last 3-5 years. They could as well probably make one that can be 'upgraded' however they refuse to do so because, PROFIT.

I like tech and all that but it's becoming weary now.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Yeah you have a great point on that. It's harder to compromise if you feel like they aren't worthwhile.
Since you mentioned this, I'm curious to know if there's a reasonable compromise for you outside of Xiaomi and Blackberry (Android I mean, not BB10).

Sent from mTalk
If I bought something new this year, based on what's out...the choices are a HTC 11 or a G6 or a KeyOne.

KeyOne is lower on the list because of the recent hardware issues with the screen. Got s soft spot for HTC and their camera game is solid. G6 hardware is exactly what I want. The software is just...OK...their pace of updates it's in the middle.

Don't know. If I keep the V20, I may not get G6 as I don't like to have two devices from the same OEM in the same category. Don't think any of them are worth the prices being asked for.

Who knows.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Personally I think mobile technology is a big problem when it comes to longevity. It was built on the premise of updating as frequently as possible to have the 'latest' tech. Thing is, how much further can we really go here? Where do we slow down to appreciate what we have? This yearly update cycle is a bit silly now. We're just making stuff for the sake of making it. It's a sad situation and it's creating more and more environmental problems.

They could, very easily, create a phone to last 3-5 years. They could as well probably make one that can be 'upgraded' however they refuse to do so because, PROFIT.

I like tech and all that but it's becoming weary now.
Exactly. I've been in that place of weariness and wariness since end of 2015, really.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05