WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Personally I think mobile technology is a big problem when it comes to longevity. It was built on the premise of updating as frequently as possible to have the 'latest' tech. Thing is, how much further can we really go here? Where do we slow down to appreciate what we have? This yearly update cycle is a bit silly now. We're just making stuff for the sake of making it. It's a sad situation and it's creating more and more environmental problems.

They could, very easily, create a phone to last 3-5 years. They could as well probably make one that can be 'upgraded' however they refuse to do so because, PROFIT.

I like tech and all that but it's becoming weary now.

I agree. I find it interesting that you say that though. Before getting into the smartphone realm (I was late), most of my feature phones started falling apart after the 1st year. As for my smartphones, I haven't had that issue even though I chose to replace them after or around the year mark.

Aside from screen cracking, I have seen that possibly when it comes to Apple. My friend's mom has an iPhone 4 which has been used as a daily phone for years until the dad upgraded to the iPhone SE last year and gave her that phone.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

If I bought something new this year, based on what's out...the choices are a HTC 11 or a G6 or a KeyOne.

KeyOne is lower on the list because of the recent hardware issues with the screen. Got s soft spot for HTC and their camera game is solid. G6 hardware is exactly what I want. The software is just...OK...their pace of updates it's in the middle.

Don't know. If I keep the V20, I may not get G6 as I don't like to have two devices from the same OEM in the same category. Don't think any of them are worth the prices being asked for.

Who knows.
Ah okay, I see. I guess I'll find out what happens with the V20. Hopefully you wouldn't be as indecisive as I am xd

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Reading a Moto E4 review, and it sounds like a decent phone but it has inconsistent images. This is interesting considering that I noticed a similar thing with G5 Plus. The camera was solid but I didn't like how one image could come out better than I thought...but on the other hand, another image can be washed out.

I would like a phone that has a solid point and shoot camera but is still small. The X Compact was a good size for me, but I'm not a manual shooter.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Reading a Moto E4 review, and it sounds like a decent phone but it has inconsistent images. This is interesting considering that I noticed a similar thing with G5 Plus. The camera was solid but I didn't like how one image could come out better than I thought...but on the other hand, another image can be washed out.

I would like a phone that has a solid point and shoot camera but is still small. The X Compact was a good size for me, but I'm not a manual shooter.
It's a $70 phone. Just saying...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I know. I was curious about it still since it seemed like a successor to the G4 Play. It sounds like they did a great job with it.
It isn't. It's a successor to their E series line, which they did screw up earlier by not offering updates for stuff they promised to.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Nope.

Nokia is dead in the same way Research in Motion is. That's just another OEM with no track record of updates in using an OS that's new to them.
BlackBerry has been releasing updates faster than any OEM and a few security patches have been out quicker than for Nexus phones.

Sent from my Elite x3 on mTalk

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

BlackBerry has been releasing updates faster than any OEM and a few security patches have been out quicker than for Nexus phones.

Sent from my Elite x3 on mTalk
I agree. But you know the technicality of what I was saying where Nokia and Blackberry hardware wise is now made by HMD and TCL.

I agree that Blackberry on the software security updates side is awesome. That's the only reason why I'd get a Key One.

I still have time to decide...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I agree. But you know the technicality of what I was saying where Nokia and Blackberry hardware wise is now made by HMD and TCL.

I agree that Blackberry on the software security updates side is awesome. That's the only reason why I'd get a Key One.

I still have time to decide...

You do have time. It will be interesting to see what you decide at some point.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I just learned that the LG G6 is actually shorter than the Moto G5 Plus I used for a bit. I'm shocked by that. If the LG G6 mini actually becomes a thing, I might be interested in trying that. It depends on the height of course.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Told my dad that I'm not comfortable staying in my room with my cousin...and he understands. I don't mind sleeping on the couch and she could have my bed. Apparently, this works out even better because her sister (who isn't even related to us) is likely coming with her husband and their two kids. This way, they can sleep in my bed with my cousin.

Since I'm assuming this will be the case, it's time to do some additional cleaning (and sorting) in my space. I wish that I had this conversation with him before but oh well. I feel better about this solution.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

So, I found something interesting, well for me anyway.

I may have mentioned this group some time ago but I just found out that they reformed and are touring. They're in Canada, US and then Australia. They have a big following in Aus.

They're one of my favourite Canadian 90's bands. They're prog rock. They're somewhat melodramatic and the singer has, to me, a good voice. He's a musician with 'Absolute Pitch'. Their music tends to have influences from around the world. The first two albums had a heavy middle eastern sound and then they took on an electronica sound on my favourite album. They tend to experiment a lot.

Anyway, they're known as 'The Tea Party'. No connection to the US political movement. They don't do political songs either.

All their music is on YouTube, Spotify and there's a lot of live videos of concerts as well since they started touring again. They actually encourage the audience to video.

If you like their stuff I highly recommend seeing them live and I'm hoping they come to Europe.
I'll have to check them out. They seem like a band I'd enjoy.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

So, I found something interesting, well for me anyway.

I may have mentioned this group some time ago but I just found out that they reformed and are touring. They're in Canada, US and then Australia. They have a big following in Aus.

They're one of my favourite Canadian 90's bands. They're prog rock. They're somewhat melodramatic and the singer has, to me, a good voice. He's a musician with 'Absolute Pitch'. Their music tends to have influences from around the world. The first two albums had a heavy middle eastern sound and then they took on an electronica sound on my favourite album. They tend to experiment a lot.

Anyway, they're known as 'The Tea Party'. No connection to the US political movement. They don't do political songs either.

All their music is on YouTube, Spotify and there's a lot of live videos of concerts as well since they started touring again. They actually encourage the audience to video.

If you like their stuff I highly recommend seeing them live and I'm hoping they come to Europe.

I have seen them at least 10 or 12 times. In fact, I'm going to see them Thursday. I live on the border with Canada so they come here a lot. Their lead singer, Jeff Martin, reminds me a bit of Jim Morrison. Great vocals and he plays a variety of string instruments from around the world. A great band to see live.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

You do have time. It will be interesting to see what you decide at some point.
Depends on the V20. If I can flash the US software, then I keep it. If not, I may sell it and consider something else, like a G6 or a Key One.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I agree. I find it interesting that you say that though. Before getting into the smartphone realm (I was late), most of my feature phones started falling apart after the 1st year. As for my smartphones, I haven't had that issue even though I chose to replace them after or around the year mark.

Aside from screen cracking, I have seen that possibly when it comes to Apple. My friend's mom has an iPhone 4 which has been used as a daily phone for years until the dad upgraded to the iPhone SE last year and gave her that phone.

My point wasn't about durability of smartphones but the 'longevity' of the device from a hardware/software perspective.

Let's take the Pixel for example. It's got an end of life cycle for 2018. Think about that for a moment. Here's a device, considered best ever Android phone but the device will only have two OS updates and possibly three years security patches.

Why is the technology of that phone so poor that it can't last past 2018? I'm a little dumbfounded by that.

I can appreciate people wanting something new. I can get the fact that newer devices are generally 'better' but I'm having a hard time believing that a phone is only good for two years. This is my issue.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I have seen them at least 10 or 12 times. In fact, I'm going to see them Thursday. I live on the border with Canada so they come here a lot. Their lead singer, Jeff Martin, reminds me a bit of Jim Morrison. Great vocals and he plays a variety of string instruments from around the world. A great band to see live.

I haven't had a chance to see them live yet. There's a lot of reasons behind it. However, if they do make their way to Europe I'm going to try really hard to go see them. Sort of depends on timing though.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

My point wasn't about durability of smartphones but the 'longevity' of the device from a hardware/software perspective.

Let's take the Pixel for example. It's got an end of life cycle for 2018. Think about that for a moment. Here's a device, considered best ever Android phone but the device will only have two OS updates and possibly three years security patches.

Why is the technology of that phone so poor that it can't last past 2018? I'm a little dumbfounded by that.

I can appreciate people wanting something new. I can get the fact that newer devices are generally 'better' but I'm having a hard time believing that a phone is only good for two years. This is my issue.

Ah okay, I see. I can agree with you on how it seems to be, especially on the Android side of things.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Android is still driven by the mantra of rapid hardware expansion. OEMs still find it more practical from a business model (for maximizing profits)to focus resources on creating the next product than maintaining current model optimally...maintaining a phone you've sold means that you don't get that customer next year as a new buyer.

Plus, most OEMs do not control directly how Android software is made, unlike ye old fruit stand. Apple gets a cut from the consumer when you buy the hardware, as that's the gateway to the most important part of their business - software in the form of apps. They also get about 30% (this figure may have been lowered to 20-25%) of revenue of each paid app.

So the Android OEMs see this and want this, but on Android you can only do this by building your ecosystem on top of Google software (aka bloat from the consumer end in the form of skins and value added apps). Or you go the uber hardware route by either building super compelling hardware from deep pockets (Samsung) or running on razor thin margins (Xiaomi).

Truth is, the good Android phones since 2014 (excluding to some degree 2015 as Qualcomm screwed everyone with those chips) are capable of over two years worth support and use. My favorite example is my Z3 Tablet Compact, which is nearly three years old but runs great...and you could theoretically get another two years from (battery degradation excluded) with 7.0 due to multi-purpose to maximize screen real estate. You can blame the switch from 32-bit to 64-bit in 2015, but up to this year Google was supporting the Android Market app for ancient models. Google also found a way to get 7.0 on the Nexus 6, while the Moto Maxx which runs the exact internal base hardware is stuck on 6.0.1.

So Android OEMs make hardware for it to be the next big hit and fully useful for today like the old featured phones of yesteryear...if it is a hit, it is more likely to get support consistently. If it flops, it is easier to bury. At least with Apple, while the softeare runs slower on plder hardware with each update, they have their hands in your pocket software wise so they still rack in the $$$.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss