WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Because I'm the queen of indecisiveness, I think I'm going to return the S7 Edge. Until 99's comment, I didn't think to check the height of the s8 against the s7 edge. The s8 is shorter (I already knew that it was narrower though). Will debate returning against not returning for sure.
The queen of indecisiveness caused me to chuckle, I must confess. Hey, they're your words, not mine...

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

US: 64GB + 4GB RAM
China: 128GB + 6GB RAM
Everyone else: 64GB + 6GB RAM

Should have just dropped the US model or the international one.

https://www.androidcentral.com/moto-z2-force

This article has all of my feelings about this phone. I like it, BUT Moto's current software track record + Google's current bad audio over USB-C (which may start to improve over 8.0) plus the smaller battery and the camera unknowns and the push towards buying mods would not make me buy it at their asking price of Samsung Galaxy S8/iPhone/Pixel money.

If the camera is solid enough, and the battery not as bad...it'll be a very, very good buy on the cheap in 6 months time.

Nice try, though. Moto and the headphone jack reminds me of Xiaomi and microSD support...not on the flagships but definitely on the value for money models.
The fact that S8 can be had consistently for about $450 or so tells me it's gonna be a tough slog for Moto in the USA.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

The fact that S8 can be had consistently for about $450 or so tells me it's gonna be a tough slog for Moto in the USA.
Agreed. Lots of good flagship phones are getting killed this year...I could be wrong but it seems like only the S8+ did well for H1 so far.

P10 and Mi 6 are harder to find. Key One harder still.
G6 and OnePlus 5 got killed. And the Z² Force may be right behind them.
U11 and XZ Premium may break even.

Pixel has held up nicely, along with the criminally underrated Mate 9.

H2 looks to be just as rough...

Don't have much hopes for the OnePlus and Sony refreshes. V30 and Mate 10 may be criminally underrated again. Essential phone...who knows. It may be a sea of more of the same between the Note 8, Pixel and iFruit Money grab edition in the fall...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

My take is that these products are just too overpriced for what is being offered right now. As much as I may want to make a change and add something into the mix later in the year...unless something comes along so astounding (or I'm not able to update the firmware) a Mi Note 2 + V20 combo isn't that bad.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Did I just hear something about a Mi6 being hard to find?
That too in Blue?
f1dd3afe2e8cd4cd4ed091ecf14c8bb4.jpg
ef0eb6deda30c2e0a8c17bd51e987161.jpg

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Agreed. Lots of good flagship phones are getting killed this year...I could be wrong but it seems like only the S8+ did well for H1 so far.

P10 and Mi 6 are harder to find. Key One harder still.
G6 and OnePlus 5 got killed. And the Z² Force may be right behind them.
U11 and XZ Premium may break even.

Pixel has held up nicely, along with the criminally underrated Mate 9.

H2 looks to be just as rough...

Don't have much hopes for the OnePlus and Sony refreshes. V30 and Mate 10 may be criminally underrated again. Essential phone...who knows. It may be a sea of more of the same between the Note 8, Pixel and iFruit Money grab edition in the fall...
From your list the only phones I haven't tried are
Key One - BB doesn't interest me
OP5 - not convinced about the camera
Z2 - too new and too many negatives vs the good stuff
XZ Premium - sorry not a Sony fan

I like where Huawei is going but not a big fan of EMUI. Pixel, S8 and G6 are my favorites this past 6+ months.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

From your list the only phones I haven't tried are
Key One - BB doesn't interest me
OP5 - not convinced about the camera
Z2 - too new and too many negatives vs the good stuff
XZ Premium - sorry not a Sony fan
U11 - definitely wanting to try it out though

I like where Huawei is going but not a big fan of EMUI. Pixel, S8 and G6 are my favorites this past 6+ months.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I just think that OEMs are still chasing the ghost of Apple's super profits during the iphone 3GS- 5S days. Perhaps it is how I'm reading the market, perhaps it's my own pickiness from having tried a fair amount of devices...but the seeming uniformity on consumer demands (big screen, powerful processors) have trapped OEMs in such a way that they have to make subtle changes to "stand out" in the marketplace.

The flip side is that some of the "compromises" being made in the offerings don't make much sense, honestly. While I see the need to build on success and stand out, certain basic things shouldn't be compromised at the prices OEMs are asking people to pay.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I just think that OEMs are still chasing the ghost of Apple's super profits during the iphone 3GS- 5S days. Perhaps it is how I'm reading the market, perhaps it's my own pickiness from having tried a fair amount of devices...but the seeming uniformity on consumer demands (big screen, powerful processors) have trapped OEMs in such a way that they have to make subtle changes to "stand out" in the marketplace.

The flip side is that some of the "compromises" being made in the offerings don't make much sense, honestly. While I see the need to build on success and stand out, certain basic things shouldn't be compromised at the prices OEMs are asking people to pay.

Well said.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

OMG so I just heard back from the program and what I saw yesterday has been confirmed! I am so into this Master's application!!! This has made my day. I told my coworker who also wants to do it too (we also went to the conference together yesterday) and she was so excited!

Whoa, I could really be a student again. I'm excited. Just need to channel that energy into my application!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

OMG so I just heard back from the program and what I saw yesterday has been confirmed! I am so into this Master's application!!! This has made my day. I told my coworker who also wants to do it too (we also went to the conference together yesterday) and she was so excited!

Whoa, I could really be a student again. I'm excited. Just need to channel that energy into my application!
All the best. Having just finished my masters...it is gruelling but worth it.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

All the best. Having just finished my masters...it is gruelling but worth it.

Thank you! I believe that, and I'll need it. I got my degree over 2 years ago and my struggle with trying to study for the GRE has been hard. I hate tests like that, and I even applied to a program at another school (and got in at that) because I didn't need that test. I obviously chose not to go but I was happy and excited that I got in.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Thank you! I believe that, and I'll need it. I got my degree over 2 years ago and my struggle with trying to study for the GRE has been hard. I hate tests like that, and I even applied to a program at another school (and got in at that) because I didn't need that test. I obviously chose not to go but I was happy and excited that I got in.
I hated the SATs and GREs. Fortunately, I didn't need to take them to do my program. I still need to do a standardized test for my licensure, so you can it always avoid them. Do your best and just make the rest of your application as strong as possible.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Good for you, Libra. There is nothing wrong for reaching for higher education. It is not easy but really challenges you to think differently and make use of all of your talents. I'm sure there are people at the school that can help you with the application process if needed.
Good luck!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I hated the SATs and GREs. Fortunately, I didn't need to take them to do my program. I still need to do a standardized test for my licensure, so you can it always avoid them. Do your best and just make the rest of your application as strong as possible.

Lucky you on dodging that. I can get you having to take that test though, and I wish you lots of luck and the best with that important test for your license.

Thanks, that is what I plan to do. The head of the library (and boss of everyone here but not my direct boss) is an alumni of the program so it would be awesome if she can write one of my reference letters. She's a really busy person though, so I don't know if she would really remember. I have my others lined up too, including my boss who said that she would gladly write one for me.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Good for you, Libra. There is nothing wrong for reaching for higher education. It is not easy but really challenges you to think differently and make use of all of your talents. I'm sure there are people at the school that can help you with the application process if needed.
Good luck!

Thank you! With it, I would have more options (and better pay). It's difficult to move around in this field without a MLIS (Masters of Library and Information Science). It's not impossible but a bit easier to have more job possibilities and considerations with it. A lot of jobs prefer that.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Thank you! With it, I would have more options (and better pay). It's difficult to move around in this field without a MLIS (Masters of Library and Information Science). It's not impossible but a bit easier to have more job possibilities and considerations with it. A lot of jobs prefer that.

Absolutely. Education and experience pave paths to opportunity. I love learning and it has helped me be where I am and enjoy what I'm doing. That's what is most important to me.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Absolutely. Education and experience pave paths to opportunity. I love learning and it has helped me be where I am and enjoy what I'm doing. That's what is most important to me.
Agreed 100%. That's the only reason why I went back for a Master's. In many field at the mid to upper elechons these days, a graduate degree is necessary to get your foot in the door.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Congrats!

Sometimes wish I could go back to school. Just don't have the time or the income to do it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99