WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Congrats!

Sometimes wish I could go back to school. Just don't have the time or the income to do it.
I may have to go back again...give me six years. My mother would curse at how long I chose to do this as she would have preferred for me to have done so before I was 30. But very few people are ready for that accelerated track and there were certain obstacles in other life areas that needed to be addressed better before I did that.

Nothing happens before its time, I suppose...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Agreed 100%. That's the only reason why I went back for a Master's. In many field at the mid to upper elechons these days, a graduate degree is necessary to get your foot in the door.

I would not want to be a director ever (too much stress and I'm good on not doing the PhD) but I totally agree with what I have noticed with some jobs that sound nice to me.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I may have to go back again...give me six years. My mother would curse at how long I chose to do this as she would have preferred for me to have done so before I was 30. But very few people are ready for that accelerated track and there were certain obstacles in other life areas that needed to be addressed better before I did that.

Some choose their path. Some let the path choose them. I fell partially in the second category.

I never knew what I wanted to do with myself. I've always had various interests and never one thing seemed to interest me to any extent. Never got pushed to do more unfortunately. I sort of fell into certain traps early and got 'stuck'. I was definitely happier as a contractor than I am now as a staff person but there's no real progression in that, nothing more than making money and having a job. Satisfaction is secondary.

Today, if I were to choose I'd probably consider the sciences or something more creative. I can always become creative again and science can always been of interest but it's not the same as 'being' part of it.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Congrats!

Sometimes wish I could go back to school. Just don't have the time or the income to do it.
Thank you. I feel like this has changed my life. I hope that I get in so much. I have been feeling bad about myself having the struggle to study. Knowing that I can just live and apply (and work on my materials) is awesome.

Aw, that's a bummer.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Thank you. I feel like this has changed my life. I hope that I get in so much. I have been feeling bad about myself having the struggle to study. Knowing that I can just live and apply (and work on my materials) is awesome.

Aw, that's a bummer.

I'm a believer in education and that it's important. I'm more a believer in learning how to think rationally as well.

However, not all success or happiness relies on learning in a school. Books, reading and listening to intellectual things is a way of learning. I do these things, so I continue to learn, just not in a school.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Whoa, you're ambitious. When you say go back, would it be for a PhD or another Masters? I totally agree about the accelerated track. It's not easy. My sister took a year off but it worked out for her doing that. She got a break and she was introduced to an awesome opportunity to get a scholarship that even paid for her books for the program as well.

I think a break is necessary, I know that I needed one. Even though I applied for the program with the school I got into, that was one of the reasons why I chose not to go. Undergrad was a hard time for me and after going through all of that, I needed a break from school and papers.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I'm a believer in education and that it's important. I'm more a believer in learning how to think rationally as well.

However, not all success or happiness relies on learning in a school. Books, reading and listening to intellectual things is a way of learning. I do these things, so I continue to learn, just not in a school.

Ah okay, I see. That's awesome that you do that.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Whoa, you're ambitious. When you say go back, would it be for a PhD or another Masters? I totally agree about the accelerated track. It's not easy. My sister took a year off but it worked out for her doing that. She got a break and she was introduced to an awesome opportunity to get a scholarship that even paid for her books for the program as well.

I think a break is necessary, I know that I needed one. Even though I applied for the program with the school I got into, that was one of the reasons why I chose not to go. Undergrad was a hard time for me and after going through all of that, I needed a break from school and papers.
Phd. Dont want one, but like my master's, will need one eventually.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Ahh GRE, been there, taken that!
Took a few other ones as well.
Good luck with your MLIS program!

Thanks! Going to do my best to increase my chances on getting in.

Ahh I can only imagine the number of tests you have had to take.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I learnt it in school when I was younger but that was a long time ago and the French in Canada is different than the French in France so though it might have helped it may only have confused things.

We're going to take classes when we get there.
That should be fun. 😊

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So I was successfully able to flash some updated software on the V20. Now I'm up to the Dec 2016 security patch. Lol.

From what I've read, in LG's quest to copy Samsung, they may have taken up the bad habit of being slow to update their unlocked US models. When I was on the international G4, the updates were fast and furious. Looks like Verizon's V20 is on the latest security patch and the other carriers aren't far behind. At least that's improved, it seems. And at least the US unlocked G6 is now on the June 2017 patch.

My Z3 Tablet Compact is forever stuck on 6.0.1 and my Mi Note 2's on 6.0.1 too. Yes, MIUI 9 + 7.0 was announced today. And yes, the Mi Note 2 is in one of the earlier groups to get the update. But with 8.0 likely under two months away...not going to see that here for a while.

Now, what about Apple? What about them, really? While they offer better hardware support in terms of all devices getting the latest update, they're not different than Android in some ways when their latest updates always run best with their newest hardware. You get a point of diminshed returns and I'd rather have slightly older but stable software on older hardware than newer laggy **** on older hardware.

So all I can do is wait... it's not like I'm going to pull out my 950XL for uber software updates...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So I was successfully able to flash some updated software on the V20. Now I'm up to the Dec 2016 security patch. Lol.

From what I've read, in LG's quest to copy Samsung, they may have taken up the bad habit of being slow to update their unlocked US models. When I was on the international G4, the updates were fast and furious. Looks like Verizon's V20 is on the latest security patch and the other carriers aren't far behind. At least that's improved, it seems. And at least the US unlocked G6 is now on the June 2017 patch.

My Z3 Tablet Compact is forever stuck on 6.0.1 and my Mi Note 2's on 6.0.1 too. Yes, MIUI 9 + 7.0 was announced today. And yes, the Mi Note 2 is in one of the earlier groups to get the update. But with 8.0 likely under two months away...not going to see that here for a while.

Now, what about Apple? What about them, really? While they offer better hardware support in terms of all devices getting the latest update, they're not different than Android in some ways when their latest updates always run best with their newest hardware. You get a point of diminshed returns and I'd rather have slightly older but stable software on older hardware than newer laggy **** on older hardware.

So all I can do is wait... it's not like I'm going to pull out my 950XL for uber software updates...
Sweet! I'm glad that you were able to update it. Have you noticed any differences or is it too early to say?

I agree with you on the Apple point. I have chosen not to update my SE to iOS 10. It will run decently of course but I value battery life and some things in iOS 10 are not scaled well to the SE apparently. I will when my hand is forced but for now, it's fine.

Yep, all you can do is wait really. At least your Mi Note 2 is in the pipeline.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Sweet! I'm glad that you were able to update it. Have you noticed any differences or is it too early to say?

I agree with you on the Apple point. I have chosen not to update my SE to iOS 10. It will run decently of course but I value battery life and some things in iOS 10 are not scaled well to the SE apparently. I will when my hand is forced but for now, it's fine.

Yep, all you can do is wait really. At least your Mi Note 2 is in the pipeline.
I'll do a test drive tomorrow and will see how battery life and camera performance has changed.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Found my old iPod syncing cable after I already ordered another one (AmazonBasics though, so pretty inexpensive anyway). It's mostly filled up (the iPod, not the cable) and I'm thinking of deleting music that I'm over. At the same time, I'm wondering how if I should just transfer all of the physical music I own to it and just consider it to be my physical library of music. I might do that since I don't buy physical music anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)