WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Well that was a busy weekend... I'm sore in more places than I care to count...

Today was the nicest day of the weekend. Last couple of weeks have been raining.

Yesterday got drenched taking stuff to the tip.

Last edited:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

What was wrong with it? Judging by your schedule maybe it just had jet lag.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo onmTalk
I don't use ifruit!
Belongs to the lady of the house.
BT was problematic.
Radios were terrible, dropped calls all the time.
Never delivered VM notifications on time.

Side by side Pixel and S8 did just fine.

My devices get jet lagged. Her car gets an oil change every 10 months!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Today went well. In reference of the stuff going on went like this:

-Uncle wanted to go to church with me today so we went (he met some of my friends there too)
-Dropped him off at home and then went to my sister's house to get my brother-in-law's sister along with her three teens (two were in the wedding)
-Drove them home in my little coupe (30 minute drive each way, not too long but noticeable)
-Had a very casual cookout for my aunt and uncle, 2 people groups (a couple and their 2 grandsons, and 1 guy) came from outside (we were already a group of 11)
-Surprised my sister with the S7 Edge, she likes it and was super thankful (I chose not to return it after all)
-Ended at like 8:45 (the teens are interesting, one of them is very similar to me lol)
-Cleaned up things inside
-Told aunt and uncle goodbyes and gave hugs since they will be leaving while I'm at work (going to miss them actually)

And now I'm here at 10:54pm. 1 hour left for me before I need to sleep myself...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

There's a lot about the V20 I like. It's exactly what you've seen in the reviews.

I love how powerful it is. The cameras are the most fun I've used in a very long time (Nokia). The DAC is in my wheelhouse. The screen is a very nice LCD. For my taste, the phone looks way better in silver. Fingerprint scanner is good. IR blaster is fun to use (app doesn't feel as convoluted as on the Mi Note 2).

Gripes: I like the removable battery. But I prefer good battery life. If I blow through one battery quickly and swap in a fresh one, that's likely to happen again. I can quite easily hammer both batteries before dinnertime and leaves me with still a dead device. When the camera is this fun, you're going to want to use it. And you're going to want you battery to hold up under the abuse, which I doubt this will.
It's not as one hand friendly as I'd like. Yes, you read this right from someone with big paws. Mi Note 2 is way easier to manage one hand.

I want the same sort of versatility with the wide angle I can get with a P series phone. For the P series, you can shoot in monochrome exclusively and take some killer shots. I'd like a F2.0 app and a slightly smaller field of view to reduce the barrel distortion at the edges. I don't mind the main camera having OIS and the wide angle EIS, but there have been times on the V20 I want to shoot in wide angle to get it closer to what I'm seeing visually and if it's not in well light conditions, it's no bueño with the output.

These are some things that give me mixed feelings. I could list more, but I don't know if the dual camera and superior DAC and slightly more efficient processing of some of the apps I use is enough to make this a daily driver over my Mi Note 2.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

There's a lot about the V20 I like. It's exactly what you've seen in the reviews.

I love how powerful it is. The cameras are the most fun I've used in a very long time (Nokia). The DAC is in my wheelhouse. The screen is a very nice LCD. For my taste, the phone looks way better in silver. Fingerprint scanner is good. IR blaster is fun to use (app doesn't feel as convoluted as on the Mi Note 2).

Gripes: I like the removable battery. But I prefer good battery life. If I blow through one battery quickly and swap in a fresh one, that's likely to happen again. I can quite easily hammer both batteries before dinnertime and leaves me with still a dead device. When the camera is this fun, you're going to want to use it. And you're going to want you battery to hold up under the abuse, which I doubt this will.
It's not as one hand friendly as I'd like. Yes, you read this right from someone with big paws. Mi Note 2 is way easier to manage one hand.

I want the same sort of versatility with the wide angle I can get with a P series phone. For the P series, you can shoot in monochrome exclusively and take some killer shots. I'd like a F2.0 app and a slightly smaller field of view to reduce the barrel distortion at the edges. I don't mind the main camera having OIS and the wide angle EIS, but there have been times on the V20 I want to shoot in wide angle to get it closer to what I'm seeing visually and if it's not in well light conditions, it's no bueño with the output.

These are some things that give me mixed feelings. I could list more, but I don't know if the dual camera and superior DAC and slightly more efficient processing of some of the apps I use is enough to make this a daily driver over my Mi Note 2.
I've been on the fence about this phone for some time. Some reviews say the battery life is good, whatever that means to them, while others say it's dismal. I'll gladly take your word for it since you've spent some time with it as opposed to a reviewer who might spend an afternoon.

The way I see it, all flagships are within inches of each other when it comes to displays, performance and cameras. Battery life seems to be the biggest differentiator and I haven't seen any LG that cuts the mustard.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I've been on the fence about this phone for some time. Some reviews say the battery life is good, whatever that means to them, while others say it's dismal. I'll gladly take your word for it since you've spent some time with it as opposed to a reviewer who might spend an afternoon.

The way I see it, all flagships are within inches of each other when it comes to displays, performance and cameras. Battery life seems to be the biggest differentiator and I haven't seen any LG that cuts the mustard.

The G6 routinely lasted me through the day without any issues. I may pick one up later this year.

Right now I am excited to go back to the Pixel before my Europe trip.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

The G6 routinely lasted me through the day without any issues. I may pick one up later this year.

Right now I am excited to go back to the Pixel before my Europe trip.
One thing I noticed during my brief time with the S8+ was web pages not rendering properly. My guess is that Chrome hasn't been optimized for 2:1 displays yet.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Your gripes are valid ones. I can't help but notice that you seem to have more gripes with the V20 over the Mi Note 2. I agree with you on the point about not being sure if it is actually worth it.

If we are similar at all, it's going to bother you. I wish you good luck with your decision.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

What is going to bother me is how much less money I am going to get trying to sell my S8! Even with a bunch of goodies and a sealed VR headset.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

There are two things I don't pay attention to when it comes to battery life on phones: other people's opinions or screen on time.

I know my usage metrics well enough that bigger batteries or batteries on well optimized software typically gives me the battery life I want.

For my needs, the V20 has average battery life. This isn't a camera I can push at all in the way I'd like. I'm a still kinda guy, so that's where the usage would be. But this is a camera with good video chops too.

Now, it could be the ROM I'm using...the radio on the pre production software were a bit better but the camera software on this one is a bit better. Don't think that makes a ton of difference, really.

Give me a 1080P with a big battery and well optimized software. I don't think 2K or 4K displays on these phones are ideal, given the battery constraints. And I don't agree with paying extra $ annually for more efficient processing as the best way to improve battery life.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte