WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

It's been a month since I have had the Samsung Galaxy A3 (2017), so it's about that time for me to say what I have noticed since after the first week ended, along with general thoughts. It shouldn't be too long.

The good:
-The size is still nice.
-I'm used to the button placement now, for the most part.
-Battery life still seems to be pretty good. If I use it hard, I would get under a day (like 14-18 hours). This means putting it on the charger at 39%. If I choose to use it until it turns off though, I will meet the day mark for sure, and possibly an extra hour.

The "meh" :
-7.0 was pushed to the A3 in Russia, so it is a matter of time but don't have it yet.
-The timer doesn't show on the lock screen at all (even the Clock app is "contents hidden" because of 6.0 all or none for notifications, sigh), and on that note, having to turn off DND mode for the timer to go off is just dumb!
-Calendar events/reminders show as AOD (Always on Display notifications, the same way that alarms show) and I guess that is good in saving power, but aesthetically, I don't like it. Basically it shows the event, time and date with a snooze option in white on black.

That's it really. While I would prefer a system that shows the calendar event on my lock screen and not having to toggle DND for the timer to go off, I still like this phone a lot. I wouldn't mind hanging out with it until the SE 2 drops early next year (rumors are strong this time on that front). Speaking of the SE, I haven't considered switching to it at all in this month. The thought hasn't even crossed my mind.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

There's an (interesting to me) article on Windows Central's front page about why a middle schooler (11 year old) chose the Surface Laptop as her first computer and some people in the comments are such killjoys. It's interesting how people feel when it comes to money. I get that money is personal because how could it not be? Everyone doesn't play by the same rules.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

There's an (interesting to me) article on Windows Central's front page about why a middle schooler (11 year old) chose the Surface Laptop as her first computer and some people in the comments are such killjoys. It's interesting how people feel when it comes to money. I get that money is personal because how could it not be? Everyone doesn't play by the same rules.

Typical forum comments. Some people are going to say stuff like that.

If she's happy with it and her parents can afford it, good for them and her. For others a cheaper laptop will suit or even a second hand one. This is the reality of capitalism. Some people prosper while other struggle just to have a PC.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Typical forum comments. Some people are going to say stuff like that.

If she's happy with it and her parents can afford it, good for them and her. For others a cheaper laptop will suit or even a second hand one. This is the reality of capitalism. Some people prosper while other struggle just to have a PC.
Little Green Monster rearing its ugly head. We shouldn't have to apologize for being born into a good situation. I'm dying to have a boat again but now is not the time. Doesn't mean I wish my neighbor's would sink because I can't have one today.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo on mTalk

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Little Green Monster rearing its ugly head. We shouldn't have to apologize for being born into a good situation. I'm dying to have a boat again but now is not the time. Doesn't mean I wish my neighbor's would sink because I can't have one today.

I goes with the mentality that the young don't like to work hard for anything and their parents do everything for them. The 'keeping up with the Jones' or the 'spoiled child' syndrome.

Of course that's one way of viewing it.

The other view is does a 11 year old middle school child need a Surface laptop or Macbook? I can't answer that question as I don't have kids and I have no idea of their school's requirements.

Lastly, of course, is if a child can get by with a less expensive laptop why buy something that expensive?

I have no qualms about what people want to buy their kids. I'm not involved, thankfully, with that whole mess, but I always wonder what the driver is behind it.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I goes with the mentality that the young don't like to work hard for anything and their parents do everything for them. The 'keeping up with the Jones' or the 'spoiled child' syndrome.

Of course that's one way of viewing it.

The other view is does a 11 year old middle school child need a Surface laptop or Macbook? I can't answer that question as I don't have kids and I have no idea of their school's requirements.

Lastly, of course, is if a child can get by with a less expensive laptop why buy something that expensive?

I have no qualms about what people want to buy their kids. I'm not involved, thankfully, with that whole mess, but I always wonder what the driver is behind it.
Unfortunately I'm not in the position to say what kids need for school since I graduated in '81 and PCs barely existed. I do believe in buying the best possible anything to avoid double spending. I have hand tools older than many of our readers and it's no accident they're still good. There are those who do indeed spoil their children but I'm not going to judge. Perhaps their upbringing was so poor that they want to give their kids the best of everything without realizing they might not get the desired results. Or maybe it's just society in general that makes you feel like you're second class for not being able to keep up with the Joneses.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Or maybe it's just society in general that makes you feel like you're second class for not being able to keep up with the Joneses.

I'll to go with this. I recall my nephew when he was in high school he got picked on for not having whatever was in fashion at the time. I assume the same still goes on today.

Brands/celebrities have a lot to answer for.

I will say this however, in most cases, a decent laptop will usually last about 3-5 years if looked after. There really is no 'future' proofing with PCs or any electronic device. That's why to me, spending top dollar is a bit ridiculous. But that's me.

You're only a short amount of time before me and we were just getting PCs in but they were far from mainstream.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

So, did I mention I'm looking for a job? It's a painful process. I'm not sure if I'm going to run into the same issue I had getting a job in the UK, which was having to move here first. It's possible I suppose. Here I thought it would be easier.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Also at my current job they're doing the yearly reviews. I'm so not interested. I really could care less if I get a 1% or less pay rise... If they even bother that is, it's been more than two years and my company could care less. Engineers are a dime a dozen currently so they're not motivated, neither am I.

I guess we'll compromise and I'll tell them what I think, in polite terms of course.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I will say this however, in most cases, a decent laptop will usually last about 3-5 years if looked after. There really is no 'future' proofing with PCs or any electronic device. That's why to me, spending top dollar is a bit ridiculous. But that's me.
Quite ridiculous. I believe in buying the best, not necessarily the most expensive. Would you buy a Vertu phone? No doubt they're probably the most expensive but it's still a flip phone at the end of the day. No wonder they went belly up, they couldn't find enough suckers er, customers.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So, did I mention I'm looking for a job? It's a painful process. I'm not sure if I'm going to run into the same issue I had getting a job in the UK, which was having to move here first. It's possible I suppose. Here I thought it would be easier.

I wish you good luck with this process, and I can only imagine what you are going through with this.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Good luck! How difficult is it to find a job in another country without speaking its language?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Good luck. I know how that feels.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I got the Speck case for my V20 today. I like it, since it's clear, so I can show off the silver. It isn't hard to put on or take off, so I know it won't be an issue once I get my 2nd battery and swap batteries on the V20.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Good luck! How difficult is it to find a job in another country without speaking its language?
Well in my industry it's not a huge problem so long as I stick to major cities and large projects. English is typically the language of business so I'm ok there.

But I will start learning French ASAP when I get there.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Quite ridiculous. I believe in buying the best, not necessarily the most expensive. Would you buy a Vertu phone? No doubt they're probably the most expensive but it's still a flip phone at the end of the day. No wonder they went belly up, they couldn't find enough suckers er, customers.
I tend to buy what I need. I can afford whatever I want but I always ask if I really need it.

What's the point of buying a i7 laptop with loads of ram if I'll never use it? 95% of most computer tasks can be done on a low end CPU with little hassle.

So why buy something over the top? I buy mid range because it suits my needs the best. I spend about £500 on a laptop which usually lasts me about 4 years before I'm ready for something else.

I'll never buy a surface laptop because as much as I like the look and style it's way too expensive for what I need. It's the same reason I never got into Apple products.

Some people like the idea of premium but I've always been one for practicality when it comes to a PC and most other things as well.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I got the Speck case for my V20 today. I like it, since it's clear, so I can show off the silver. It isn't hard to put on or take off, so I know it won't be an issue once I get my 2nd battery and swap batteries on the V20.
One of the few phones I've used where I prefer to rock it without a case...hope you enjoy yours.

I did update mine earlier today to the US Cellular ROM running on the April 2017 security patch. I did a dirty flash, so we'll see. I did it no root, using LGUP. I'd still say stay on your current firmware as LG is likely to jump the V20 to 8.0 at this point. I wish I had the f ROM to downgrade to but the ones I've found hang in the middle of the update...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

One of the few phones I've used where I prefer to rock it without a case...hope you enjoy yours.

I did update mine earlier today to the US Cellular ROM running on the April 2017 security patch. I did a dirty flash, so we'll see. I did it no root, using LGUP. I'd still say stay on your current firmware as LG is likely to jump the V20 to 8.0 at this point. I wish I had the f ROM to downgrade to but the ones I've found hang in the middle of the update...
Thanks for the information. 😊

I might indeed opt to go naked with the V20, since it isn't a slippery device.

Please let me know how you like this latest update. 😊

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

A long restless wait in the airport between two domestic flight...
can someone please invent teleportation asap!!

... !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo