WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Funnily enough, I'm having second thoughts about my switch to the SE. I'm glad that the apps seem to work better but I'm not glad that the battery life is so different. I have to think about what annoys me the least on each. Time for the pros and cons list to help me decide which one to use.

I'm glad to have this problem though, it beats dropping a bit for another phone at the moment.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact looks good specswise. I like the colors too and the size is excellent. I love that it is the size of the X Compact which I had multiple times. That size was excellent, smaller than the A3 but bigger than the SE, which makes it a solid in-between. The fact that it will be VoLTE and VoWiFi certified on T-Mo is great (I know that I'm no longer on T-Mo but I do see myself switching back when they finish with my area in a couple of years). The LTE class seems like it will be really fast.

It would probably be up my alley, but at $599.99, it's a bit much for my blood when it launches. I'm going to need a random good sale to get me to try it out lol. We'll see which one happens first...the refreshed SE or a good price drop of the XZ1 Compact. I'm not holding my breath for the latter.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

So the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact looks good specswise. I like the colors too and the size is excellent. I love that it is the size of the X Compact which I had multiple times. That size was excellent, smaller than the A3 but bigger than the SE, which makes it a solid in-between. The fact that it will be VoLTE and VoWiFi certified on T-Mo is great (I know that I'm no longer on T-Mo but I do see myself switching back when they finish with my area in a couple of years). The LTE class seems like it will be really fast.

It would probably be up my alley, but at $599.99, it's a bit much for my blood when it launches. I'm going to need a random good sale to get me to try it out lol. We'll see which one happens first...the refreshed SE or a good price drop of the XZ1 Compact. I'm not holding my breath for the latter.
Ouch, 6 bones for a midrange is kind of steep.

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Guarantees in life:

1) Death
2) Taxes
3) Trump on Twitter
4) Sony overpricing phones at launch

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

I see mostly Samsung phones of some type, followed by iPhones. I haven't seen a Windows Phone or a BlackBerry in over 2 years. I've never seen an Android BlackBerry device at all.

Neither have I. As a matter fact, I have only seen one Blackberry in my whole life. At least I believe it was Blackberry. It was ages ago and it had some sort of Windows XP on it.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I agree. Just on specs alone, I would put it as upper midrange but exactly. No way will I buy it full price.
What makes it an upper mid range? It's almost the same as a XZ1 as per their other compact series phones.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Meanwhile, if the camera is good (the usual question for Moto) the X4 offer a lot of the functionality of the XZ1 line at a much cheaper price.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Sony's plight is interesting. I think they are doing some nice things. But because they're recycling the same design, many people are dismissive. After all, lots of folks buy phones with their eyes based on how it looks these days. Sad, really.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

What makes it an upper mid range? It's almost the same as a XZ1 as per their other compact series phones.

This is true. They said (the press, that is, not Sony) that the camera is the same as the XZ Premium. I'm curious about it, I just can't bite off that much off the cuff. It sounds like a better phone than the X Compact was though.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Meanwhile, if the camera is good (the usual question for Moto) the X4 offer a lot of the functionality of the XZ1 line at a much cheaper price.

Yeah the X4 sounds great! I'm looking forward to finding out about the camera to come. I was shocked to learn that it is smaller than both of the G5 phones. It's a bit tall for me, story of my phone life but it sounds like a solid phone.

Someone on AC left a comment saying that it's good that there's finally a phone with a second wide angle lens outside of LG. I didn't even realize that until their comment. That can be fun to play with.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Sony's plight is interesting. I think they are doing some nice things. But because they're recycling the same design, many people are dismissive. After all, lots of folks buy phones with their eyes based on how it looks these days. Sad, really.

I would agree with it being sad but I can't. Aesthetics are important to me and that's part of the reason why it was hard for me to deal with the Pixel's looks. Putting a dBrand on it really changed how I viewed it.

I don't mind the Sony look, it is signature for them. Personally, I'm thankful for the lack of curved edges.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I would agree with it being sad but I can't. Aesthetics are important to me and that's part of the reason why it was hard for me to deal with the Pixel's looks. Putting a dBrand on it really changed how I viewed it.

I don't mind the Sony look, it is signature for them. Personally, I'm thankful for the lack of curved edges.
I'm in agreement with the asthetics of Sony phones. I think they're quite nice.

From a price perspective I don't personally think they're too far out. But that's my personal perspective. Give a couple of months than buy one. :)

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I'm in agreement with the asthetics of Sony phones. I thinking they're quite nice.

From a price perspective I don't personally think they're too far out. But that's my personal perspective. Give a couple of months than but one. :)

That's a valid point considering that it is really a mini flagship essentially. It's probably going to be the only phone of its kind (I mean in regards to being a small phone) that would actually be able to properly compete with my iPhone SE.

The A3 I have is nice but the app performance after a while got to me. It can compete with the SE but the SE still wins. I'm tired of seeing that an app has stopped and that apps crash fairly often. This never happened with the Pixel so it's totally a phone thing.

What you said is exactly what I'm going to do. I'll wait it out and then try it. For me, it's personally high for my personal limit for what I'm willing to spend on a phone. It is worth it, but not worth it to break my own rule by that much. It sounds too promising for me not to try it (but if there's a sale that gets me $100 off, I'll do it lol). I don't really care about the lack of fingerprint scanner I have for getting the US model.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

That's a valid point considering that it is really a mini flagship essentially. It's probably going to be the only phone of its kind (I mean in regards to being a small phone) that would actually be able to properly compete with my iPhone SE.

The A3 I have is nice but the app performance after a while got to me. It can compete with the SE but the SE still wins. I'm tired of seeing that an app has stopped and that apps crash fairly often. This never happened with the Pixel so it's totally a phone thing.

What you said is exactly what I'm going to do. I'll wait it out and then try it. For me, it's personally high for my personal limit for what I'm willing to spend on a phone. It is worth it, but not worth it to break my own rule by that much. It sounds too promising for me not to try it (but if there's a sale that gets me $100 off, I'll do it lol). I don't really care about the lack of fingerprint scanner I have for getting the US model.
They finally opened up a bit more about the fingerprint scanner. It was a contract with a USA carrier. Not well thought out on Sony's side. I think that's soon coming to an end (maybe next year,?) so it's possible they will release a patch to make it operational in the US once it's over. Easily done as it's just software.

I know there's opinions on Sony in general and I do agree with some. I still think they make good hardware though. It's really the software (camera wise) that let's them down a touch.

Also I think their recent design is quite nice and I think it could lend itself to a more bezeless design. Which I personally think would be very nice looking. But we'll see.

Overall I think Sony is going the right way but they're still a bit off with some things. This time I don't think it's price personally.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Moto X4 pricing leaks suggest they are really getting aggressive about cleaning up the $400 market. Leave Samsung and Apple to duke it out at the top and looks like they want to clean the clock out on OP. I think LG should figure out a way to stay somewhere in between with their hardware.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
piklokz