WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

You not liking being caustic or sarcastic?
And me calling that out is corny?
Okay.
I think I'll call it a night and move on.
The initial comment you chimed in on was more self depreciation than sarcasm aimed at Libra. For the record.

Enjoy your night! (No sarcasm)

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Holy crap, my wife booted up Frankenstien's Monster to see if her mom had left any pictures on it. This laptop was my first laptop, I think purchased in 1999. I used it for several years and stopped when the screen bezel started cracking on both lower corners. My wife's mom had a stroke in around 2005 and she wasn't able to get to a desktop PC, so I braced the bezel by sandwiching it between metal plates. Can't remember if the DVD drive was replaced back when I was using it or if it had to be fixed when we gave it to her mom? But the DVD drive was not an OEM part, so it sticks out. Now for the fun stuff... 6 GB HD, PS2 mouse port, 56K modem on expansion slot, 3.5" floppy drive.

And now without further adieu...

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I have an old netbook from 2009 that still runs with XP. Always amazing to see how tech has grown.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

My kid uses a Toshiba from late 2009 with Windows 10. It has 8GB RAM and for some bizarre reason is able to run the latest Windows without issues.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

Haven't fired up my XP machine in ages... and an old 17in Samsung CRT monitor collecting dust in the store room...

... !

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

My experience the V20 overall has been solid. Audio has been great, the camera has been solid and fun to use...the software hasn't been annoying and the feel in hand without a case has been one of my all time favorites.

I'm still indifferent about the battery life. I have gotten to a point where I prefer overall better battery life than swappable batteries. I'm not a fan of how LG has handled software updates so far.

If this gets 8.0 in a timely manner, my attitude may change. Otherwise, I'm watching my replacement ideas closely.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

No MIUI 9 + 7.0 for the Mi Note 2 yet. I'm curious to see how it perform with this update.

I still think it's a very good offering, and if I didn't have those audio issues, I may still be using it as the daily driver. There's a lot of "this is better than people think" wrapped up in this device...that makes it harder to let go. I'm curious to see what its replacement brings this year.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

My experience the V20 overall has been solid. Audio has been great, the camera has been solid and fun to use...the software hasn't been annoying and the feel in hand without a case has been one of my all time favorites.

I'm still indifferent about the battery life. I have gotten to a point where I prefer overall better battery life than swappable batteries. I'm not a fan of how LG has handled software updates so far.

If this gets 8.0 in a timely manner, my attitude may change. Otherwise, I'm watching my replacement ideas closely.
Compared to the MXPE when brand new, the V20 has much better battery life.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Writing this content on hurricanes has me recall how lower Manhattan looked in Sandy. I suppose I'll post the story here.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Hmm, I wouldn't have expected for you to feel that way about the battery life still. I figured as much for the rest though. Questions for you: Do you regret getting a second battery now? Also if you could go back in time, would you stop yourself from buying that or no?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I recall that both you and Laura got extra ones.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Here's the modified summary:

"What also stood out to me was at one point lower Manhattan was without power. I remember being on that shuttle bus going through lower Manhattan from the Barclays center in Back trying to get to work and it was dead silence...no foot traffic, storefronts and buildings were eerily devoid of activity. Cell service was ****. It looked like those post Apocalypse films but all the buildings were inact ayet lifeless. And like the just position of affluence and poverty separated by the crossing of the street, when the bus hit the first block with power it was like regular NYC affair. I didn't think that nothing could stand out more...but I was wrong.

A trip through unlit downtown Manhattan did the trick by foot that night. I was trying to track down the old chess master out of concern and walking down Park Avenue South in veiled darkness was even more eerie than the bus ride. It didn't get much better after I passed Union Square, Broadway was pretty dark - as dark as I remember strolling through the countryside of St. Elizabeth on summer nights as a child. You know, that kind of darkness where you only get to see ten feet in front of you and your flashlight gets swallowed in the light. The only difference here was that instead of being flanked by bushes on either side, unlit and unoccupied buildings provided the backdrop. I did run into the ocassions restaurant open and serving people candelight (closer to Union Square), but it was desolate.

I got to the Brooklyn Bridge, and made my way across. The bridge was literally half lit: the Brooklyn side had power and I stopped at the line of where darkness met light on the bridge and looked back to see that dark desolate view of lower Manhattan: cold, imposing, seemingly rife with the stuff that was scare kids straight late at night."

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Yes, I owned a Galaxy Nexus then. And yes, I took pictures. As horrible as the camera was, it did a decent job capturing that dread and forboding. If I find them, I'll post them.

And yes, that was an incredibly stupid thing on some levels walking alone like that. It is a story I've never revealed in this level of detail until now. But I did it because I had to see it. Cannot explain what it was, but I needed to see it.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Here's the modified summary:

"What also stood out to me was at one point lower Manhattan was without power. I remember being on that shuttle bus going through lower Manhattan from the Barclays center in Back trying to get to work and it was dead silence...no foot traffic, storefronts and buildings were eerily devoid of activity. Cell service was ****. It looked like those post Apocalypse films but all the buildings were inact ayet lifeless. And like the just position of affluence and poverty separated by the crossing of the street, when the bus hit the first block with power it was like regular NYC affair. I didn't think that nothing could stand out more...but I was wrong.

A trip through unlit downtown Manhattan did the trick by foot that night. I was trying to track down the old chess master out of concern and walking down Park Avenue South in veiled darkness was even more eerie than the bus ride. It didn't get much better after I passed Union Square, Broadway was pretty dark - as dark as I remember strolling through the countryside of St. Elizabeth on summer nights as a child. You know, that kind of darkness where you only get to see ten feet in front of you and your flashlight gets swallowed in the light. The only difference here was that instead of being flanked by bushes on either side, unlit and unoccupied buildings provided the backdrop. I did run into the ocassions restaurant open and serving people candelight (closer to Union Square), but it was desolate.

I got to the Brooklyn Bridge, and made my way across. The bridge was literally half lit: the Brooklyn side and power and I stopped at the line of where darkness met light on the bridge and looked back to see that dark desolate view of lower Manhattan: cold, imposing, seemingly rife with the stuff that was scare kids straight late at night."

Wow...

I can't even begin to imagine how seeing that felt. Thank you for sharing.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Wow...

I can't even begin to imagine how seeing that felt. Thank you for sharing.
You know that pitch black I'm talking about too, I'm sure. You kind of think you don't see those in urban settings, but they are here in those truly unlit pockets. Kinda makes you not taking walking in well lit areas at night for granted as much...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

You know that pitch black I'm talking about too, I'm sure. You kind of think you don't see those in urban settings, but they are here in those truly unlit pockets. Kinda makes you not taking walking in well lit areas at night for granted as much...

That's just terrifying. Yes I have seen it before, but only in power outages after dark when I'm home. Seeing that outside like that is something I can't wrap my head around. I can but trying to imagine how that is and how it felt, especially in a place like NYC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss