WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Yesterday got up to 16C but the wind was chilly and when the sun went it was cold.

Last week we had a polar vortex. Got down to 6C during the day and some areas had snow and frost.

Had lots of rain as well. This week is looking decent but really looking forward to warmer weather.
Ugh, that sounds like the weather we've had here. Saturday was the only day last week that it didn't rain. It got up to 25°C on Thursday, but it poured all day. Otherwise, it's only gotten up to around 8-10°C.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

So pictures.

To start, this is the Centre Pompidou. It's the modern/contemporary art museum. It's famous for it's inside out look. We walked from the train station towards the Marais district.

View attachment DSC_2685-01.jpg

So this is a pic from lunch. Yes that's a head of cauliflower. Apparently it was supposed to be 'amazing' but it wasn't and neither was our experience here. Aside from the lack luster cauliflower, when we went to order it turned out they only had half the pitas available. Keeping in mind they just opened for lunch.

FB_IMG_1557737136491.jpg

So just some pics of the local area.

FB_IMG_1557737164999.jpgFB_IMG_1557737157019.jpg

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

This is a market in the Marais district. If you know your French, yes it says Market of Red Children. It mostly has cafes in it now but you can buy some fresh produce as well. Pretty small.

FB_IMG_1557737178220.jpg

Next is the Swedish Institute cafe. We went there to compare it to the Finnish one that's in another arrondissement near the university. The Finnish one is better but this had a nice outdoor area.

FB_IMG_1557737116407.jpg

Next came the boutique eclair shop. We've been here before and unfortunately this was slightly disappointing as well. Either they were old or their quality has slipped. Either way it wasn't worth the price.

FB_IMG_1557737089339.jpg

We ate the elcairs in a park next to the Picasso museum. So that's where we went next. Again, maybe because I've seen some great exhibitions I was slightly disappointed.

FB_IMG_1557737185922.jpg

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

We started to make our way to Notre Dame and passed St. Paul's Cathederal.

View attachment DSC_2688-01.jpg
View attachment DSC_2691-01.jpg

On the Marais side of the Seine river there's a market. This was a flower and bird market. I find captive birds depressing.

FB_IMG_1557737173331.jpg

We then crossed over to the island which is where Notre Dame is but saw this area here with cafes next to the Seine. I think this is new.

FB_IMG_1557737098667.jpg

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Another bridge before Notre Dame. That's the City Hall or Hotel de Ville.

View attachment DSC_2692-01.jpg

So lastly, Notre Dame. If you look closely at one of the pictures which shows the scaffolding you can make out the peak of the roof line. It gives you and idea of whats missing. The scaffolding was in place prior to the fire.

We took pictures from the backside of the cathedral as it's blocked off all the way around it by barriers.

View attachment DSC_2693-01.jpg

View attachment DSC_2702-01.jpg

IMG_20190512_174018_169.jpg

DSC_2719-01.jpg

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Last bit of interest. It's a bit hard to capture this correctly. This is the route we walked. The yellow marker is Notre Dame. The red line shows our travels. We walked over 6kms (over 4 miles)

Map.PNG

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I'm not sure what kind of podcasts you like. However, my recommendation for a podcast app is Pocket Casts. I use it to listen to my favourite podcasts.

Thank you! I recently started using Pocket Casts and I even bought the version that plays in the browser.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Thank you! I recently started using Pocket Casts and I even bought the version that plays in the browser.

I'm currently checking out Podcast Republic. It's got way more features (tonnes more) than I need but it's got a nice interface. There's a free and ad free available. It's also has a website where you can continue to listen to a podcast if you want that.

There's also another one I'm looking at called Laughable but not sure I'll keep it.

Spotify is OK but I no longer have a premium account so it's not the best thing for me.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I'm currently checking out Podcast Republic. It's got way more features (tonnes more) than I need but it's got a nice interface. There's a free and ad free available. It's also has a website where you can continue to listen to a podcast if you want that.

There's also another one I'm looking at called Laughable but not sure I'll keep it.

Spotify is OK but I no longer have a premium account so it's not the best thing for me.

Nice! I hope that one will work for you. I can understand how you feel about Spotify. I tried it and I dislike for podcasts because you can't rearrange it as well. I can't just play one episode from a podcast, it starts playing the other ones too. In the podcast apps I have tried, it isn't an issue like it is on Spotify.

Also the quirk of having to open an episode to mark it as played if I remember correctly is eh.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Nice! I hope that one will work for you. I can understand how you feel about Spotify. I tried it and I dislike for podcasts because you can't rearrange it as well. I can't just play one episode from a podcast, it starts playing the other ones too. In the podcast apps I have tried, it isn't an issue like it is on Spotify.

Also the quirk of having to open an episode to mark it as played if I remember correctly is eh.

I still have to set things up. I was looking at reviews and this one came up as being one of the better ones available. I looked at others too.

Pocket Casts was rated highly but apparently a lot of people are unhappy with the latest update so I decided to avoid it.

There was another one I was interested in as well but similar issue where they updated the interface and people got upset.

I can appreciate that devs want to keep things fresh but they shouldn't mess with things too much.

This one I have does way more than I need, as I stated. Never needed to take notes of podcasts or save bits of them. My wife would probably like those features.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

Moved my SD memory card from my 950XL to the Nokia.8.1... things are getting serious!!!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Whew, one class finally down and another to go. So tired and so many OnePlus videos that I'm trying to binge but I think I might just let them play (on mute) because I don't have the energy for this and I have other things to finally watch.

This time, I didn't have to take any time off to do work. Wow.*

*= To be fair, group projects reduced the need for this.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Heard something that has me questioning things
I'm starting to wonder if my ex was onto something or that this was by chance...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Gotcha. I figured as much considering that it is OnePlus.
It's not for me because simply it's not any improvement over either the V35/G7 and nowhere near the Mate 20 Pro in my current stable.

Has nothing to do with the stuff the company does that still irks me, as I like their 6/6T from a hardware perspective.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

It's not for me because simply it's not any improvement over either the V35/G7 and nowhere near the Mate 20 Pro in my current stable.

Has nothing to do with the stuff the company does that still irks me, as I like their 6/6T from a hardware perspective.

Noted. I would agree with that actually. Speaking of, how's the Mate 20 Pro been so far?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Noted. I would agree with that actually. Speaking of, how's the Mate 20 Pro been so far?
Dunno yet.

Have a wedding upcoming on Memorial weekend to test the camera out at. I like the internals and the screen. The in-hand feel for me sucks but does get better in the case. Even though the XZ3 has a curved screen, I like its feel more. I also like the V40's in hand feel better. I gotta two hand this phone without a case as it's so narrow.

I'm indifferent about the UDFPS. It works fine; I just prefer the rear mounted ones as I have to be more deliberate with it. I'm back to using plastic screen protectors, which I don't like, as tempered glass doesn't play nice with these crop of UDFPS. Will never use face unlock; notch doesn't bother me. Audio via USB-C is typical ****ty Huawei. The stock launcher annoys me but I'm using it - no Nova, no Niagara.

I just know it's a bit too tall and narrow for my liking to be a daily driver. It's one of the reasons why I don't own a S8/S9 model. I think the G7 width is just wide enough (S10 is now in this ballpark). It's nice, but I still wished it was a Mate RS.

Gonna get a nano SD card for more storage. Not really keeping a lot of stuff on it as I'm using it for the cameras.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos