WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

This is very interesting but I can generally get that it is a thing considering that some people believe that if you don't post it on social media, you didn't really do it.

It is kinda sad that if someone forgot their wearable, it's a wrap.

I left my Fitbit Ionic at home yesterday. First time in months I leave the house without a smartwatch and I thought I was going to lose my mind. No steps, floors climbed or heart rate was tough. Also love the notifs on my wrist especially in meetings.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Oneplus 7/7 Pro, eh?

Heh.
More like Asus Zenfone 6? Yup. That's interesting.

If the camera is solid without OIS, and Asus does keep its software update promises...you get this on a nice sale for $400 or mint used for $320? Killer.

Not gonna buy one, but for those who want all screen and don't care about selfies and are true media junkies... Big screen + micro SD + big battery + headphone jack?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I left my Fitbit Ionic at home yesterday. First time in months I leave the house without a smartwatch and I thought I was going to lose my mind. No steps, floors climbed or heart rate was tough. Also love the notifs on my wrist especially in meetings.
I get where you're coming from here. I suppose I feel more of the naked nature when I don't use my Alta HR as the only times I take mine off are to shower, wash dishes and recharge it. Because I use the smartwatch I disable everything else on it. Even though I'm used to taking off my smartwatch to charge it, I still have that naked feeling when I don't wear it as well.

But I'm not at that level like the folks in that article. To each his own though, I suppose.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Very interesting this year shopping in the $500 segment for 2019...Pixel 3A, Mi 9, Zenfone 6, Oneplus 7. While the 3A isn't a budget flagship, it seems to be the camera to beat (with the Mi 9 behind it for 2nd).

3A - pluses seems to be camera and software update support

Mi 9 - pluses seem to be design, audio

Zenfone 6 - pluses seem to features for power users - battery life, micro SD, 3.5mm.

Oneplus 7 - pluses seem to be performance, developer friendly

For me, Asus and Xiaomi have the highlights. Google looks solid and Oneplus seems good too. I'd suspect the Mi 9 has the best audio, 3A has the best camera, the Oneplus 7 is the smoothest performer and the Zenfone 6 is the endurance champ.

Man, it kinda feels like 2016 with the Honor 8/ZTE Axon 7/Alcatel Idol 4S...those were excellent offerings in the $400-$500 space for that time.

Cannot go wrong with any of these...but the full reviews await.

And yes, the Honor View 20 is in this group too as another option. I'd normally swap the Oneplus 7 out for this, but I think that in the right market, the Oneplus 7 would get there with the right pricing.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I really wanted to try out the Mi9 this year. Instead I am getting a Mix 3 in a few days.
Of all the anti notch/punch hole tactics, I prefer the slider the most for that all screen display. I forgot what phone is coming out that's a dual slider. When I first saw it, I thought... Nokia N95/N96/N85/N86 8MP!

I think the Mi Mix 3 is better than the Mi 9, but some would disagree.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Very interesting this year shopping in the $500 segment for 2019...Pixel 3A, Mi 9, Zenfone 6, Oneplus 7. While the 3A isn't a budget flagship, it seems to be the camera to beat (with the Mi 9 behind it for 2nd).

3A - pluses seems to be camera and software update support

Mi 9 - pluses seem to be design, audio

Zenfone 6 - pluses seem to features for power users - battery life, micro SD, 3.5mm.

Oneplus 7 - pluses seem to be performance, developer friendly

For me, Asus and Xiaomi have the highlights. Google looks solid and Oneplus seems good too. I'd suspect the Mi 9 has the best audio, 3A has the best camera, the Oneplus 7 is the smoothest performer and the Zenfone 6 is the endurance champ.

Man, it kinda feels like 2016 with the Honor 8/ZTE Axon 7/Alcatel Idol 4S...those were excellent offerings in the $400-$500 space for that time.

Cannot go wrong with any of these...but the full reviews await.

And yes, the Honor View 20 is in this group too as another option. I'd normally swap the Oneplus 7 out for this, but I think that in the right market, the Oneplus 7 would get there with the right pricing.
I agree with you, it's nice to see! I'm somewhat curious about the 3a personally.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I agree with you, it's nice to see! I'm somewhat curious about the 3a personally.
I'll pass, but I hope it works for you if you get one. I'd rather get a Pixel 3 or a Pixel 2 instead. In fact, the Oneplus 7 and the Pixel 3A on this list are the two phones I'd skip. I'd take the Mi 9 and Zenfone 6 before the Honor View 20.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

First impressions.
I love the size and the screen. For a plastic back, Google has done some impressive engineering from a injection molding perspective. The back feels almost identical to the glass version on the more expensive models. I like that it's not a very heavy device like the Xr or the S10+.

I'm in the minority but I like the bezels on the two sides. Although if they were slightly thinner it would have been great.

The haptic motor is excellent as noted by most reviewers.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

$950 for the X 1 at launch? Sony being Sony.

Good luck with that.

Not that I don't disagree with you on the pricing, however they are offering bundles to those who preorder. So if you want a set of the best noise cancelling headphones on the market or a PS4 it's not a bad deal. Likelihood that the price will drop in a months time like the Pixel 3 did.

I'm just waiting for a proper review of the device. I'm curious to know if they pulled things off properly this time or did they screw something up, aside from the lack of 3.5mm jack or the wireless charging. I do wonder what people would think had they kept the 3.5mm jack though. I know people don't really like the narrow long screen either.

I have no plans to buy this btw it's more curiosity. Apparently they're bringing out a Xperia 2 soon but that may not be it's name. Word is that the 1 is the Premium replacement and this new phone will be the standard phone replacement (XZ3, etc)

Wait and see I suppose.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Not that I don't disagree with you on the pricing, however they are offering bundles to those who preorder. So if you want a set of the best noise cancelling headphones on the market or a PS4 it's not a bad deal. Likelihood that the price will drop in a months time like the Pixel 3 did.

I'm just waiting for a proper review of the device. I'm curious to know if they pulled things off properly this time or did they screw something up, aside from the lack of 3.5mm jack or the wireless charging. I do wonder what people would think had they kept the 3.5mm jack though. I know people don't really like the narrow long screen either.

I have no plans to buy this btw it's more curiosity. Apparently they're bringing out a Xperia 2 soon but that may not be it's name. Word is that the 1 is the Premium replacement and this new phone will be the standard phone replacement (XZ3, etc)

Wait and see I suppose.
The problem is that their launch strategy is nuts, as usual. Even if they decided that the smaller phone is now getting launched at IFA, it still is going to be a bit more expensive that it needs to be. Sony prices still drop slowly.

I think Dave 2D is right...in the high end segment phones are getting to be commodities. Even Samsung is offering sweeteners and dropping prices to move units. So if the market leader is doing stuff to maintain their pace, it's harder for the smaller OEMs to do much.

Now more than ever it is important to be clear in the argue to be made to the consumer as to why they should buy a certain product from an OEM. Some are making their case well, others don't have a clue.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

The problem is that their launch strategy is nuts, as usual. Even if they decided that the smaller phone is now getting launched at IFA, it still is going to be a bit more expensive that it needs to be. Sony prices still drop slowly.

I think Dave 2D is right...in the high end segment phones are getting to be commodities. Even Samsung is offering sweeteners and dropping prices to move units. So if the market leader is doing stuff to maintain their pace, it's harder for the smaller OEMs to do much.

Now more than ever it is important to be clear in the argue to be made to the consumer as to why they should buy a certain product from an OEM. Some are making their case well, others don't have a clue.

No idea who Dave 2D is but that's OK.

The mobile market is saturated as we know.

Yes, Sony's strategies are less than desirable. They need to change their thinking but probably won't.

Sony thinks their name speaks for them but unfortunately that only takes things so far and they've unfortunately gained a reputation of being an expensive brand selling average phones. This new phone has some interesting aspects to it but whether it's enough for people to buy it is another question. Also being excessively late to the party doesn't help.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I'll pass, but I hope it works for you if you get one. I'd rather get a Pixel 3 or a Pixel 2 instead. In fact, the Oneplus 7 and the Pixel 3A on this list are the two phones I'd skip. I'd take the Mi 9 and Zenfone 6 before the Honor View 20.

Yeah I can get you on all of these points and I can kinda relate. The Pixel 2 has weak battery life so I'm not interested in it for myself, even as a backup phone. I'm curious about the 3 but honestly, it's really for the camera more than anything else so the 3a just makes sense (even though it is taller than the regular 3).

My S10e still does it for me generally, just not a fan of the zoom at times and skin tones also at times so Gcam port is my friend.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

No idea who Dave 2D is but that's OK.

The mobile market is saturated as we know.

Yes, Sony's strategies are less than desirable. They need to change their thinking but probably won't.

Sony thinks their name speaks for them but unfortunately that only takes things so far and they've unfortunately gained a reputation of being an expensive brand selling average phones. This new phone has some interesting aspects to it but whether it's enough for people to buy it is another question. Also being excessively late to the party doesn't help.
I posted this a while back, but since you sleepwalk through 97% of the phone talk here these days, I'll add it again:

https://youtu.be/otHviixLykI

We keep having the same style conversation around some of the old school OEMs. At least RIM and to some degree Nokia (although whether I like their strategy or not is a different comment) have settled in on their message to consumers. All 10 of the people working in HTC 's marketing dept have no clue as to how to pitch Chairwoman Wang's of the brand. LG is too busy doing other things while they bleed money in mobile to create a solid message. Sony mobile has been restructuring for at least half of Sahib's life.

Personally, the more brands available, the better. I don't want to be stuck only choosing between Samsung and Samsung in the Android space. The issue is when you got off the beaten path (these days in our circle that's Samsung, Oneplus, Huawei, Xiaomi, Google) you run the risk of getting a handset that fits your needs but doesn't get much aftersales support (LG, Sony, Nokia, HTC, Moto, Asus, etc). Android is hardware driven but the OEMs sometimes screw themselves with the choices they make trying to chase iPhone 3GS-5S profits that even Apple cannot make anymore.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I can get you on all of these points and I can kinda relate. The Pixel 2 has weak battery life so I'm not interested in it for myself, even as a backup phone. I'm curious about the 3 but honestly, it's really for the camera more than anything else so the 3a just makes sense (even though it is taller than the regular 3).

My S10e still does it for me generally, just not a fan of the zoom at times and skin tones also at times so Gcam port is my friend.
I hear you. I just feel for me if I'm buying a Pixel, I'm not going budget. I can get a G cam port which improves my phone, but if I want the Pixel experience I want the high end Pixel camera.

If Google really wanted to redefine the mid range, an S710 chip powered 3A at $399 and 3A XL at $479 would have done it - even with the ****ty 4 RAM + 64GB ROM combination.

To each his own and that's what makes life interesting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)