WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

That sucks that the management isn't very good. I'm sure the rent is astronomical compared to what I pay here in Cleveland in the city, not in the suburbs.
So rent is lower there, but the pay of middle class jobs are lower...so it's the same.

Yup, rent is a certified cluster**** here. I saw an apartment on sale that was a three bedroom two bath in the union Square area for only $12M. I'll post the listing from the V35 in a few days.

Top problems here in NYC: good paying employment and affordable housing.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

So rent is lower there, but the pay of middle class jobs are lower...so it's the same.

Yup, rent is a certified cluster**** here. I saw an apartment on sale that was a three bedroom two bath in the union Square area for only $12M. I'll post the listing from the V35 in a few days.

Top problems here in NYC: good paying employment and affordable housing.
You're right it's all the same.

Yikes! That's ridiculous. I can't believe an apartment could cost that much.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Thats crazy money!! The difference in the cost of living between US and here (Malaysia) is mind boggling.

My mum is living in a highrise condo (fairly new, 4 bedrooms 2,000 sq footer) for equiv of USD600, and its near the beach too. Its sunny all year round, food is plentiful & cheap, so are phones & IT equipment.. Come on over!!
Sounds like a plan.
We should meet up when I am in Penang later this year. I'm coming over to teach a 1 week class at my work facility.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

Sounds like a plan.
We should meet up when I am in Penang later this year. I'm coming over to teach a 1 week class at my work facility.
Sounds great!! I'm living in Kota Kinabalu, I'm always back in Penang for a stretch during Christmas!!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

There is a problem with house prices and rents are all over the world. As housing has become a commodity the prices have sky rocketed and the rents along with it. In the mean time a lot of people's income haven't grown with it. Many people have incomes that have flat-lined since 2008 while others have had to take on extra jobs just to get by.

Doesn't help that there seems to be an issue with prices increasing on everything along with this. Food, utilities, etc.

I think society needs a change from the bottom up because the top just seems completely lost. Their idea of 'living' is completely at odds with reality.

The change I suggest doesn't require violence either. Doesn't have to be. Just a change in consumer habits and community thinking. I know this idea of jobs, career and other things have been drilled into us from childhood but I think we need to start off with thinking about other things. Simple things like food, shelter, community support and safety nets.

The only way humans can move forward is if we change our thinking but I guess it's hard to do this after doing things this way for so long.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

For those who may have missed it Paris clocks in as being one of the most expensive places on the planet to live.

The cost of rent and property in Paris is simply ridiculous. Even in the suburban areas where I live it's not really that cheap.

Not to mention the pain it is to actually get a place to rent...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

So we had the European elections here. Though the Right has increased some, it wasn't the complete disaster that people thought it was going to be. However if you listen to the news you'd swear Armageddon has happened. I don't quite get the obsession the news has with going on about Right wing mouth pieces.

There's been a swing from traditional parties but the swing wasn't to the Right. Greens and Liberals have picked up a lot of seats. This is good for the EU. The EU needs change and a boost in Greens is good for the environment.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Here's a 7&7 (mine) and this tequila + mint + cucumber drink (GF). This was shot in auto mode. I need to dig into this camera some more. IMG_20190526_193552.jpeg

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

For those who may have missed it Paris clocks in as being one of the most expensive places on the planet to live.

The cost of rent and property in Paris is simply ridiculous. Even in the suburban areas where I live it's not really that cheap.

Not to mention the pain it is to actually get a place to rent...
Paris, London, Tokyo, NYC, and pick a place in California are some of the most expensive places to live on Earth. Never understood why (I do know but just choose not to accept it). The wealth scale continues to tip in the favor of the elites.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

There is a problem with house prices and rents are all over the world. As housing has become a commodity the prices have sky rocketed and the rents along with it. In the mean time a lot of people's income haven't grown with it. Many people have incomes that have flat-lined since 2008 while others have had to take on extra jobs just to get by.

Doesn't help that there seems to be an issue with prices increasing on everything along with this. Food, utilities, etc.

I think society needs a change from the bottom up because the top just seems completely lost. Their idea of 'living' is completely at odds with reality.

The change I suggest doesn't require violence either. Doesn't have to be. Just a change in consumer habits and community thinking. I know this idea of jobs, career and other things have been drilled into us from childhood but I think we need to start off with thinking about other things. Simple things like food, shelter, community support and safety nets.

The only way humans can move forward is if we change our thinking but I guess it's hard to do this after doing things this way for so long.
The only time when societies change from the bottom up is when the oppressed revolt and size power.

With the conglomerates and their enablers still dicking around with the environment, one could see situations where a bad natural disaster impacting food and water supply could cause such an uprising. Rising seas could cause the abandonment of smaller nations. If other places (Europe, US) are ******** about immigration now, WTF would they do in those circumstances?

Things are a lot more on a knife's edge that people give credit for.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Well said. It is frustrating that it is this way. While looking at places, it seems like the choice is kinda tough at this time. I'm hoping for a reasonable middle ground to appear for me.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Hope all the US folks have a rest filled Memorial day. To the rest of the world...

It's a Monday, so you know how to get through that.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Mr. Trump would argue that the US economy overall is doing well.

Unemployment is low, stock market is doing well. Yet, some of his electorate are struggling to get by (and so are others), wages are stagnant in many brackets, health care costs are competing with rent in a race to see which one can get the most expensive at the fastest rate.

Key word there - OVERALL. It's kinda like the hotel we are staying at now. It's a old converted mansion...so overall it looks nice and sophisticated (especially the lawns and the areas for catering). Once you get into the rooms though, that's where you see some of the warts.

Both sides are correct, so what facts do you choose to believe?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Mr. Trump would argue that the US economy overall is doing well.

Unemployment is low, stock market is doing well. Yet, some of his electorate are struggling to get by (and so are others), wages are stagnant in many brackets, health care costs are competing with rent in a race to see which one can get the most expensive at the fastest rate.

Key word there - OVERALL. It's kinda like the hotel we are staying at now. It's a old converted mansion...so overall it looks nice and sophisticated (especially the lawns and the areas for catering). Once you get into the rooms though, that's where you see some of the warts.

Both sides are correct, so what facts do you choose to believe?

When 'employment' means just having a job, whether you actually get paid or not, is not really employment but they consider it in their statistics that way. That's when I decided the employment rate is a bunch of rubbish.

Then there's underemployment.

As for the so called 'economy' what exactly is it and what good is it for anyone if you don't benefit from it? The stock market to me is not an indication of how well the economy is doing. It's an indication of how rich people get richer. Which is all that's happening. When the stock market crashes again, and it will, it will make the last 'financial crisis' look like a walk in the park. It's the 'average' person is who is going to suffer most in this like the last time. Poor people will suffer but when you go from having something to nothing you feel it more.

The stock market was made for the purpose of investing in companies to help them grow. These days it's all about greed.

I think the rich people of this generation don't have any morals at all. That's my personal opinion. Their frivolousness seems nice when things seem good but I think it will wear thin. At least to anyone with a brain. But then we are talking about a populace who gave up on thinking rationally...

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

The only time when societies change from the bottom up is when the oppressed revolt and size power.

With the conglomerates and their enablers still dicking around with the environment, one could see situations where a bad natural disaster impacting food and water supply could cause such an uprising. Rising seas could cause the abandonment of smaller nations. If other places (Europe, US) are ******** about immigration now, WTF would they do in those circumstances?

Things are a lot more on a knife's edge that people give credit for.

I can appreciate that in the past things were done like that but considering how far people have been pushed I don't see the revolt happening any time soon. TV, streaming and sports have all done their jobs very well to curb the hostility towards the elite. Rome has returned it seems. Distraction is a good tool.

My point that I was getting at is that we as a society continue to wait for top down solutions. There's no need to. If we as a society and more importantly as a local community start to work together then things can change for the better. I'm not talking about anarchy here. I'm talking about us as humans stop being so ******* selfish and start realising we need each other.

The lessons that was drilled into me when I was young was to share. Unfortunately society sees sharing as a commodity now to. That's how I know we've gone too far now.

Our whole world economy is built on the idea of greed and how much we can get from the other person. How about we change that a little? At least locally?

It actually doesn't take that much to change things but it does take someone to start.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Sea lions frolicking and chilling at the Santa Cruz wharf.
8f4139b668a46cece68fcd4e56c5c9f4.jpg
c3615095049d4c935f25fe8443bd7eef.jpg
3ba671c3d07779e49b64d606830536e2.jpg

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Santa Cruz Boardwalk.
We had a lot of fun, played air hockey, ball toss (kid loves it and won a few prizes) and rode the roller coaster.
6a9bbdf6aec0e1f88db61767adb5af14.jpg
d5fc66d83e7dfff5b79a0336b382d012.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb