WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

On a phone level, if the camera is solid and updates are good, the Zenfone 6 has massive potential to be the best value for money for this year.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

It was the jelly I was talking about. We used to boil and drink that as a cleanser. If it was too bitter you could put some dark cane sugar in it. Still tastes awful though.
I've planted some varieties that were so bitter, it was definitely unpalatable!!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

So for anyone who's interested.

Apparently the French senate just passed a bill stating that Notre Dame Paris is to be restored as it was before the fire.

I do understand the desire but at the same time I'm slightly disappointed. The roof that burned was not the original roof and neither was that spiral. So to me it was a chance to merge new and old design.

The pool idea (yeah one architect thought of that) was a step too far however I though the glass roof with a garden was pretty neat.

Number 2 or 3 on this website - 17 Artists Suggest Notre Dame Cathedral Reconstruction Designs

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So for anyone who's interested.

Apparently the French senate just passed a bill stating that Notre Dame Paris is to be restored as it was before the fire.

I do understand the desire but at the same time I'm slightly disappointed. The roof that burned was not the original roof and neither was that spiral. So to me it was a chance to merge new and old design.

The pool idea (yeah one architect thought of that) was a step too far however I though the glass roof with a garden was pretty neat.

Number 2 or 3 on this website - 17 Artists Suggest Notre Dame Cathedral Reconstruction Designs
You shouldn't be surprised in this time of holding onto pseudo old ideas.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

I've been here 6 years already... wow!! Used go rake up my post counts with on threads like "three word story" "ban the post above" "last post wins".. fun times. Recently it has been like a graveyard in WC

That was when I jumped into WCentral with a amazing tank a.k.a L920. I sold that phone to a colleague, and she still uses it..

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I've been here 6 years already... wow!! Used go rake up my post counts with on threads like "three word story" "ban the post above" "last post wins".. fun times. Recently it has been like a graveyard in WC

That was when I jumped into WCentral with a amazing tank a.k.a L920. I sold that phone to a colleague, and she still uses it..
I think we all thought that WP was a great alternative to the duopoly of iOS and Android. Kinda sucks it didn't turn out that way.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So far, I've mixed feelings with the phone after a day of use. It feels better to use in the case. I miss the feel of tempered glass has it doesn't play nice with the fingerprint scanner. Battery life seems as expected.

I miss the workman vibe from the V35. Feel I have to baby the Mate 20 Pro even more so than the other devices I've used in the past. EMUI is still the same and as usual, I prefer MIUI instead.

I'll know more by Tuesday, but as usual, don't expect too much change from this first impression.
Not much changed. The IDFS is a nice party trick - at the wedding I saw my coworker took note quietly as I unlocked the Mate for him to take a picture of me, the gf and the married couple. I find that it works fine. I think I mash it a bit more than needed but it's been solid. I still prefer rear mounted sensors.

Not much battery anxiety when using it, so no surprises there. Call quality was solid - Huawei is usually good in that area. It wasn't as horrible to use ergonomically with the case on, but I cannot wait to return to the smaller size of the V35.

Glad it's in the rotation handling camera duties and it makes for me a nice weekend/holiday phone. Still not daily driver material for me though.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I know I may have explained why I left the UK after Brexit but I think this story I'm posting will explain it better. This took place during the day of the EU elections, which had other problems as well. This story is not unique unfortunately. You don't hear about them in the news and probably don't even get registered for what they are, hate crimes.

This guy is white and from the Netherlands, he also posted a picture of some of the injuries. His only crime? Being different. This is only part of the story.

"THE ASSAULT AGAINST ME ON EU ELECTION Night
"Where are you from?"
I smiled friendly at the beefy guy, standing in front of me in the bus. I looked away, signalling I did not want any interaction.
"Where are you from?"
He asked again, touching my shoulder.
I looked him in the eye and said: "From London."
"No, you are not. That's not your accent. Where are you from?"
"Originally I come from the Netherlands."
"What are you doing here?"
"I live here, I work here."
"You should not. You should **** off."
I nodded and tried to walk past him.
"You have no right to steal my job. You know, all you foreigners should be killed," he continued, while blocking my way with his huge gym-fit posture, "you should be dead."
I tried to get past him to reach the exit doors, but he refused.

The first thing I saw when I woke up were the blue lights from the police car, lightening up the concrete floor of the bus stop on which I was lying. My body was shaking from the shock and the tears. Two police officers told me there had been an argument in the bus, and I had received at least ten blows on the head and in the stomach, including a kick by a boot when I was unconscious.

For the next hours, I floated in and out of consciousness. At one point I remember waking up in the white tunnel of a CT scanner. My head felt like dynamite sticks trying to crack my skull open from the inside. I did not remember anything. Nothing at all. I did not remember my name. I remember they told me my name, but it did not say anything to me. Strangely enough, I remembered my friends, better than I remembered myself.

The neurologist has told me that I am lucky. The night could have easily ended permanently for me. But it has not. There is nothing structurally damaged. The swelling of the brain is gone. The fractures in my nose and jaw are extremely tiny and will quickly recover. My concussion is severe, he said, but with enough rest this will recover.

He posted this on Facebook, with his picture of injuries and there are actually people saying they don't believe him. This is where we are these days. Sad really.

Should point out that the 'job' this guy supposedly 'stole' is lead professor of existential psychotherapy and counselling. There's a good chance he didn't steal this guy's job....

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

A side note with the story.

I have little doubt that the guy who did this to him was on the prowl. He wanted to find someone to beat up, especially on this night, to make a 'point'. The professor was just the unlucky guy.

I'm very familiar with these types as I'm sure others on here are as well. They've become quite common in the UK for these things like this to happen on occasions where politics is dominating the airways.

Of course I've met these types of people on other occasions as well. There are those who just need an excuse to do something like this.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I know I may have explained why I left the UK after Brexit but I think this story I'm posting will explain it better. This took place during the day of the EU elections, which had other problems as well. This story is not unique unfortunately. You don't hear about them in the news and probably don't even get registered for what they are, hate crimes.

This guy is white and from the Netherlands, he also posted a picture of some of the injuries. His only crime? Being different. This is only part of the story.

"THE ASSAULT AGAINST ME ON EU ELECTION Night
"Where are you from?"
I smiled friendly at the beefy guy, standing in front of me in the bus. I looked away, signalling I did not want any interaction.
"Where are you from?"
He asked again, touching my shoulder.
I looked him in the eye and said: "From London."
"No, you are not. That's not your accent. Where are you from?"
"Originally I come from the Netherlands."
"What are you doing here?"
"I live here, I work here."
"You should not. You should **** off."
I nodded and tried to walk past him.
"You have no right to steal my job. You know, all you foreigners should be killed," he continued, while blocking my way with his huge gym-fit posture, "you should be dead."
I tried to get past him to reach the exit doors, but he refused.

The first thing I saw when I woke up were the blue lights from the police car, lightening up the concrete floor of the bus stop on which I was lying. My body was shaking from the shock and the tears. Two police officers told me there had been an argument in the bus, and I had received at least ten blows on the head and in the stomach, including a kick by a boot when I was unconscious.

For the next hours, I floated in and out of consciousness. At one point I remember waking up in the white tunnel of a CT scanner. My head felt like dynamite sticks trying to crack my skull open from the inside. I did not remember anything. Nothing at all. I did not remember my name. I remember they told me my name, but it did not say anything to me. Strangely enough, I remembered my friends, better than I remembered myself.

The neurologist has told me that I am lucky. The night could have easily ended permanently for me. But it has not. There is nothing structurally damaged. The swelling of the brain is gone. The fractures in my nose and jaw are extremely tiny and will quickly recover. My concussion is severe, he said, but with enough rest this will recover.

He posted this on Facebook, with his picture of injuries and there are actually people saying they don't believe him. This is where we are these days. Sad really.

Should point out that the 'job' this guy supposedly 'stole' is lead professor of existential psychotherapy and counselling. There's a good chance he didn't steal this guy's job....

Omg that's terrible That poor guy.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

A side note with the story.

I have little doubt that the guy who did this to him was on the prowl. He wanted to find someone to beat up, especially on this night, to make a 'point'. The professor was just the unlucky guy.

I'm very familiar with these types as I'm sure others on here are as well. They've become quite common in the UK for these things like this to happen on occasions where politics is dominating the airways.

Of course I've met these types of people on other occasions as well. There are those who just need an excuse to do something like this.
That's unfortunate. The attacker sounds like one of those disgruntled blue collar workers getting washed away in the changing global economy.

He may have a story similar to this guy (parts of it, anyways):

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/27/...tion=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

I ranted about this recently too:

https://rumbaradvice.wordpress.com/2019/05/28/the-political-insanity-of-patriarchy/

To me, it's this complicated sentiment that breed ground rife for the skin-head stuff to re-emerge under that guise of neo-nationalism that is worrisome.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

That's unfortunate. The attacker sounds like one of those disgruntled blue collar workers getting washed away in the changing global economy.

He may have a story similar to this guy (parts of it, anyways):

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/27/...tion=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

I ranted about this recently too:

https://rumbaradvice.wordpress.com/2019/05/28/the-political-insanity-of-patriarchy/

To me, it's this complicated sentiment that breed ground rife for the skin-head stuff to re-emerge under that guise of neo-nationalism that is worrisome.

To avoid the wrath of Laura I shall try to contain myself. Let’s just say there are tomatoes and other produce that are rotting in the soil because some of these “lilies” won’t reclaim the picking jobs they “lost” to the migrant workers 45 has targeted.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Omg that's terrible That poor guy.
This is why I advocate that people, especially brown people and women, know some kind of self defense. I don't claim to be an expert, but I can blow out a knee, break an ankle, or take out an eye if needed.

You should be free to go about your business uninterrupted, but with knuckleheads like this on the loose, one must be careful.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

To avoid the wrath of Laura I shall try to contain myself. Let’s just say there are tomatoes and other produce that are rotting in the soil because some of these “lilies” won’t reclaim the picking jobs they “lost” to the migrant workers 45 has targeted.
We can talk $$$ where because of the increased lifestyle, some of these lollies won't take those wages. As crummy as cost of living is here, lots of brown folks find a way to survive on less. It can be done smartly, so it always irks me when some in privilege complain how their privilege doesn't see them through when they're in the same boat as brown folk.

No one wants to have to downgrade. The world has changed where someone privileged with a HS diploma may not be able to build the same middle class life as their parents or grandparents did. But the pride of the privilege allows some not to accept that inorder to move forward.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos