WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Sumeet decided to arrive this week in a very big way!

After all the cool and cold weather this is going to be a shock to the system.
e694af37035f607c7e5a7419da242878.jpg
Wow! That's really hot.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

That's really cool. I'd like to visit the chateau.

This is my second time here. I did post pictures of it a few months back (December I think). The weather wasn't that great.

This is Chateau Chambord. It's the largest chateau in the Loire Valley. It's based on a design by Leonardo Da Vinci. There's a very cool double helix staircase in the center of it. Pictures don't do it justice really.

The roof is pretty amazing as well.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

This is my second time here. I did post pictures of it a few months back (December I think). The weather wasn't that great.

This is Chateau Chambord. It's the largest chateau in the Loire Valley. It's based on a design by Leonardo Da Vinci. There's a very cool double helix staircase in the center of it. Pictures don't do it justice really.

The roof is pretty amazing as well.
I do remember that now that you've mentioned it. I also remember the bad weather.

I certainly wouldn't want to be outdoors in 38°C weather. That's a scorcher.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I do remember that now that you've mentioned it. I also remember the bad weather.

I certainly wouldn't want to be outdoors in 38°C weather. That's a scorcher.

Lots of people don't have A/C here either. It's going to be interesting... I thankfully have A/C and our house is generally very cool anyway.

I didn't go in the chateau this time. We took our guests there and they really liked it.

Plan is to visit other chateau this summer.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Where in Canada or the USA? Two quite different cultures btw.

I drove Route 66 so I wouldn't mind doing that again the opposite way or maybe touring the east coast more. As far as Canada goes I'd like to see the gigantic waterfall (Victoria Falls, is it?) and I'd like to see Toronto or Ottowa.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Niagara Falls :) It straddles the US Canada border. It's about 2 hours from Toronto. The Canadian side is a bit touristy but it has the best bit of the falls.

I grew up in Toronto but it's been some time since I've been there. It keeps changing.

Ottawa is nice and so is Montreal.

I never did Route 66 but I have a friends who did. I think I'll give the USA a miss for the time being.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

Spent five student years in Ontario in late 70s early 80s.
Was in Brantford, which was really nice. Best chips (with salt and vinegar) I ever had in my life was sold in a chip stall in the middle of the downtown parking lot. Learned some history of the birth of the telephone, visited Bell's actual house. And found out the town of Paris & London was minutes away.

Ottawa, had very good memories of the city too. Great colours during autumn. And winter was really cold, yup.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Mini Review – Sony Xperia 1

So after a few days with the phone I thought I would do a fuller review.

Design:
Since this is my first large phone I have to say I’m quite happy with the overall design. The narrow aspect and rounded edges makes holding this phone really easy. Being light weight helps a lot too. I find the placement of the camera lens good and I’m less likely to smear them with my finger as I used to with my XZ.

The right side of the phone is typical Sony for those who’ve had one in the past. Camera button on the bottom, power button and fingerprint scanner middle and volume at the top end.

The fingerprint scanner is way too sensitive. I know I mentioned this before but I’d like to say it’s slightly annoying as it registers false touches in your pocket. I do miss having the power button and scanner in one.

I have pretty large hands but I have to use two hands to use this phone sometimes and I don’t mind really.

The screen is very nice indeed. Though I did have some issues with looking at it outside in bright sunlight. I don’t have it cranked up to 4K but that’s not required for everyday use.

I haven’t tried this out on a full day so cannot say much about the battery at this stage. It seems to be good so far.

Software:
As I haven’t used Android 9 before this I do find the gestures a bit new and different. I’m getting used to them but I can’t say I like them.

Sony’s additions to the software have been a bit annoying, even when I turned them off.

For example, it keeps asking me if I want to turn on side sense, camera burst and dynamic vibration. My assumption is that if I’m turning them off I want them off. So stop asking me!

Other than that this is pretty much stock Android and I’m happy with that.

Camera:
So far I’ve only used the auto settings for the camera and I’ve been taking pictures in tricky situations. In general, I’m quite happy with the depth of field the camera delivers. The pictures may be true to life but I find they turn out a bit dark and I have to do some editing to bring out features more. This is a lighting issue and can be overcome with using the manual mode but goes to show the auto setting is good but not great.

I do wish the tap point for switching between cameras was either larger or somewhere else in the app. I keep missing it. It's currently located on the view screen which when missed changes your focus.

HDR is not available in auto mode either.

The maximum resolution can only be used in 4:3 which I find a bit odd but that’s typical of Sony.

I like the wide angle lens but I find that having to use another app to get rid of the fish-eye affect somewhat annoying. It’s something I’m still trying to do correctly using Snapseed. Any suggestions for apps would be nice.

I haven’t used the telephoto lens much but what I did take I was happy with.

Last bit is the lack of being able to save RAW images. Not entirely sure why Sony hasn’t done this but apparently using Open Camera (planning to try this) will allow RAW image capture.

I’m still getting used to the cameras and hope to take more shots in the future to keep testing things. I plan to get into the manual settings more.

Video:
Not usually something I use that often but since Sony included the Cinema Pro app it would be silly not to have a go.

This is a bit complicated and it takes some time to get used to how this app works. At least for me. It’s got some nice features and I hope to take some more videos which I’ll share once I get my head around things more. It’s a neat app though.

Overall:
I’m happy with the phone overall. I like the size, shape and overall use. I can’t complain too much.

I do hope Sony makes some changes to the camera software in the future but probably won’t happen.

I give the phone a 4.5/5 for the improvements over the XZ but it’s not perfect.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Design:
Since this is my first large phone I have to say I’m quite happy with the overall design. The narrow aspect and rounded edges makes holding this phone really easy. Being light weight helps a lot too. I find the placement of the camera lens good and I’m less likely to smear them with my finger as I used to with my XZ.

The right side of the phone is typical Sony for those who’ve had one in the past. Camera button on the bottom, power button and fingerprint scanner middle and volume at the top end.

The fingerprint scanner is way too sensitive. I know I mentioned this before but I’d like to say it’s slightly annoying as it registers false touches in your pocket. I do miss having the power button and scanner in one.

I have pretty large hands but I have to use two hands to use this phone sometimes and I don’t mind really.

The screen is very nice indeed. Though I did have some issues with looking at it outside in bright sunlight. I don’t have it cranked up to 4K but that’s not required for everyday use.

I haven’t tried this out on a full day so cannot say much about the battery at this stage. It seems to be good so far.

Software:
As I haven’t used Android 9 before this I do find the gestures a bit new and different. I’m getting used to them but I can’t say I like them.

Sony’s additions to the software have been a bit annoying, even when I turned them off.

For example, it keeps asking me if I want to turn on side sense, camera burst and dynamic vibration. My assumption is that if I’m turning them off I want them off. So stop asking me!

Camera:
So far I’ve only used the auto settings for the camera and I’ve been taking pictures in tricky situations. In general, I’m quite happy with the depth of field the camera delivers. The pictures may be true to life but I find they turn out a bit dark and I have to do some editing to bring out features more. This is a lighting issue and can be overcome with using the manual mode but goes to show the auto setting is good but not great.

I do wish the tap point for switching between cameras was either larger or somewhere else in the app. I keep missing it. It's currently located on the view screen which when missed changes your focus.

The maximum resolution can only be used in 4:3 which I find a bit odd but that’s typical of Sony.

I like the wide angle lens but I find that having to use another app to get rid of the fish-eye affect somewhat annoying. It’s something I’m still trying to do correctly using Snapseed. Any suggestions for apps would be nice.

Last bit is the lack of being able to save RAW images. Not entirely sure why Sony hasn’t done this but apparently using Open Camera (planning to try this) will allow RAW image capture.

I’m still getting used to the cameras and hope to take more shots in the future to keep testing things. I plan to get into the manual settings more.

Video:
Not usually something I use that often but since Sony included the Cinema Pro app it would be silly not to have a go.

This is a bit complicated and it takes some time to get used to how this app works. At least for me. It’s got some nice features and I hope to take some more videos which I’ll share once I get my head around things more. It’s a neat app though.

Overall:
I’m happy with the phone overall. I like the size, shape and overall use. I can’t complain too much.

I do hope Sony makes some changes to the camera software in the future but probably won’t happen.

Nice review. Native RAW capture and OIS have always been top requests by high end Sony users. At least now you have the latter. Given them another phone cycle for you to get the former.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Well, another week in paradise begins. At least there's a holiday next week. Then I'm off for a week after that.

Things to look forward to, I suppose. I just want a day where I can get some undisturbed sleep. Lol.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

Washed my car the old way, hose, soap and elbow grease.. thank god it was a small car and I didn't have to wax/polish.. , cos I'm shattered

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Design:

Software:

Camera:

Video:

Overall:

Nice review. Thanks for the in depth information about the camera app especially.

I'm curious to learn how the Open Camera app compares to the stock camera app.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Design:

Software:

Camera:

Video:

Overall:

Yay! I was looking forward to this. So far, it sounds like it is workable for you. Hopefully it will continue to be. Thank you for sharing!

Let us know it goes with Open Camera. That was more of an option for me when I had the XZ2C.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Well, another week in paradise begins. At least there's a holiday next week. Then I'm off for a week after that.

Things to look forward to, I suppose. I just want a day where I can get some undisturbed sleep. Lol.

I hope that the time from now to then zooms by.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb