WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I'm staying with the V20 for now, but I definitely am interested in the V50. I don't mind the slow or nonexistent updates, since I'm not aware of any other OEM that offers the same audio quality as LG does in its V-series devices. Audio quality is probably the most important feature to me, since I use wired high-impedance headphones to listen to FLAC and WAV files.
Here's the thing for, Laura: LG is big enough where they can do security patches more consistently. They could easily just do patch updates quarterly, still be slow with the major OS updates and that would be way better than the "we'll update it when we update it" current strategy.

It just makes you never buy their stuff at launch. It gets devalued so quickly.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Here's the thing for, Laura: LG is big enough where they can do security patches more consistently. They could easily just do patch updates quarterly, still be slow with the major OS updates and that would be way better than the "we'll update it when we update it" current strategy.

It just makes you never buy their stuff at launch. It gets devalued so quickly.
That is very true. However, at this point in time, I'm no longer interested in buying any new phone at launch. I believe that we've reached the point where there is nothing innovative enough and with enough new features to justify paying $1k at launch. An older flagship device will function long enough so that there is no need to get a brand new flagship device or to get a new midrange device every year or two.

It used to be that every time I got a new phone it was more expensive than the last one. Now new phones have become less expensive than the previous ones, which has happened with PCs years ago.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I see people are having a cow that Huawei did business with North Korean in reference to building out their wireless network.

I didn't realize communist governments paid in a different type of form of cash besides $$$. It's not like Kim's government paid for their missile tech in coke and booze...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

That's the basis of Minimalism.

Minimalism isn't about giving up stuff it's about keeping the things that matter to you and getting rid of the things that don't.

It's also about being conscious about any purchases you make when you do buy something.

We're not perfect but we try to keep our buying stuff to a minimum and we don't like clutter.

We're not the best consumers.

True, you're so right about that. I just didn't consider the connection between minimalism and money. It sounds like the two of you are on a journey together, which is awesome. Hearing that one partner is with it and the other is not is SO common, so I'm really impressed to hear that.

I would consider myself to follow it easily in some areas and not in others.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

That is very true. However, at this point in time, I'm no longer interested in buying any new phone at launch. I believe that we've reached the point where there is nothing innovative enough and with enough new features to justify paying $1k at launch. An older flagship device will function long enough so that there is no need to get a brand new flagship device or to get a new midrange device every year or two.

It used to be that every time I got a new phone it was more expensive than the last one. Now new phones have become less expensive than the previous ones, which has happened with PCs years ago.
I think the last phone I bought at launch was a Lumi 810. Ask me how that worked out.

Until LG chooses to do certain things differently, the perception around their brand won't change, which makes buying it at launch less valuable to the consumer. Yes, they're great when it comes to audio but at some point they will follow suit and kill the 3.5mm.

There's still room for innovation, but I don't know if it's at a scale where the people who want everything on the cheap will be satisfied about. Have you seen that online petition in India being circulated that the Xiaomi K20 Pro is 2K rupees overpriced? Especially when Xiaomi always undercuts the competition?

People do some cray $&! % at times I swear.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So I was minding my business, trying to get home in a thunderstorm that would make Mr. Clue blush...when the trains acted the F up again with signal issues.

Had get home in a part of this. At least I tested the cameras out (LG cam, G cam port). 20190722_184134.jpegIMG_20190722_184146.jpeg

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Why is it easier to think of what we don't have versus what we do have?

It's been mentioned to me in a session that I should think of the positive thing first instead of seeing the negative thing and then thinking of the positive thing. Easier said than done when it comes to myself.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

It's been mentioned to me in a session that I should think of the positive thing first instead of seeing the negative thing and then thinking of the positive thing. Easier said than done when it comes to myself.
That's something known as cognitive distortion. There are exercises to help with that.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So I was minding my business, trying to get home in a thunderstorm that would make Mr. Clue blush...when the trains acted the F up again with signal issues.

Had get home in a part of this. At least I tested the cameras out (LG cam, G cam port). View attachment 141080View attachment 141081
Wow, the rain looks crazy. I feel for you having to walk into it.

Also it's interesting how the light appears for each light source (streetlights, taillights, etc) in one photo versus the other.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Wow, the rain looks crazy. I feel for you having to walk into it.

Also it's interesting how the light appears for each light source (streetlights, taillights, etc) in one photo versus the other.
I had a mini umbrella which got me wet but kept me from being absolutely drenched. It held up well all things considered. The surprise was the ear hooks for the wireless headphones. Had to jump over some deep water pools at some curbs and the earbuds didn't fall out.

The camera apps did just fine.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

The gf got stuck in part of the transit mess too. She talked about crowded platforms and it being a pain to transfer on super hot subway platforms with the thunderstorm raging outside. I rather walk in a flash flooding level thunderstorm than deal with that, so I did.

I didn't think it was worth paying cab to get home (yes, I was being cheap). The crazy part is that this is the third sort of big issue like this for the MTA within the past two months, with it being the second in two weeks.

**** breaks down but for the MTA, this ain't a good look.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I think a lot of people suffer from this kind of thinking. I think typically women express it more but I'm pretty sure it's universal. Men just don't talk about it like they should.

There's a branch of psychology called Positive Psychology. It's still relatively new but don't confuse it with 'being happy all the time' nonsense that some gurus push. Positive psychology is about increasing your baseline happiness not distorting your thinking to being happy all the time. It acknowledges the ups and downs of life and how to deal with them. My wife is an advocate of this and wants to get more involved with it. I've also found some of the things in it very helpful. I'm not the most positive person. (I know big surprise there)

Three things that are pretty well known from this branch of psychology have become more mainstream. You may have heard of them.

One is mindfulness - being in the moment and appreciating it

Two is flow - which is when you become involved with something deeply (work or otherwise) and things just seem to 'flow'

Three is gratitude journal writing - being grateful for what you have and acknowledging it in writing, typically daily. It can be one thing a day or several. It's up to you. It's just important to think about.

All three of these things are very helpful but the last one is the one that I find the most difficult but useful. It sounds easy but until you try it you'll understand. Keep in mind being grateful about something can just be little things but acknowledging it gives it meaning. That's the important part.

There's some good books on this subject and I'd be happy to point you to the right people if you want to know more but I'd suggest trying the gratitude journal writing to start.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I had a mini umbrella which got me wet but kept me from being absolutely drenched. It held up well all things considered. The surprise was the ear hooks for the wireless headphones. Had to jump over some deep water pools at some curbs and the earbuds didn't fall out.

The camera apps did just fine.

That was some heavy rain. We could use some of that here.

This week is going to be a scorcher. Then hopefully rain and cooler.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Yay! The UK Trump is the new PM!

Things are looking so rosy in the UK...

Can't wait to see what fumbles through to get Brexit over the line by the Oct 31st...

Tall order that.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

Had two straight days off heavy downpour in the afternoon. Twice we were caught while hauling the durians from the hill slopes to the shelter.
ac70d1c9f368fd9e7fabb687c407dedb.jpg

Most of the durian trees were planted almost two decades ago by the original owner.

Yeah, there is a couple of young newly matured trees called 'Musang King'.. apparently amongst the most expensive variety out there. Unfortunately, it has only bore a few fruits, and its just enough for our own consumption. Hopefully it'll bear more next season...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

That was some heavy rain. We could use some of that here.

This week is going to be a scorcher. Then hopefully rain and cooler.
My perception of what counts as heavy rains are slightly skewed having been in what eventually ended up being one of the strongest hurricanes ever as a child.

All considered, it was pretty strong, bursty rain.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Yay! The UK Trump is the new PM!

Things are looking so rosy in the UK...

Can't wait to see what fumbles through to get Brexit over the line by the Oct 31st...

Tall order that.
This is gonna be an old school cluster**** indeed. Better pull out your finest tea set and scones recipe to get through watching this trainwreck.

When the lifestyle of the privileged gets threatened, **** like this becomes too commonplace. 100% panic moves always leave the common man to pay for priviled mistakes.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I think a lot of people suffer from this kind of thinking. I think typically women express it more but I'm pretty sure it's universal. Men just don't talk about it like they should.

There's a branch of psychology called Positive Psychology. It's still relatively new but don't confuse it with 'being happy all the time' nonsense that some gurus push. Positive psychology is about increasing your baseline happiness not distorting your thinking to being happy all the time. It acknowledges the ups and downs of life and how to deal with them. My wife is an advocate of this and wants to get more involved with it. I've also found some of the things in it very helpful. I'm not the most positive person. (I know big surprise there)

Three things that are pretty well known from this branch of psychology have become more mainstream. You may have heard of them.

One is mindfulness - being in the moment and appreciating it

Two is flow - which is when you become involved with something deeply (work or otherwise) and things just seem to 'flow'

Three is gratitude journal writing - being grateful for what you have and acknowledging it in writing, typically daily. It can be one thing a day or several. It's up to you. It's just important to think about.

All three of these things are very helpful but the last one is the one that I find the most difficult but useful. It sounds easy but until you try it you'll understand. Keep in mind being grateful about something can just be little things but acknowledging it gives it meaning. That's the important part.

There's some good books on this subject and I'd be happy to point you to the right people if you want to know more but I'd suggest trying the gratitude journal writing to start.

Hmm that's really interesting. I have heard of one and three but not so much the second one. I agree about the gratitude journal being difficult. At the beginning of the year, I did a 90 day challenge of doing that and at times, it was hard to find something to write about or I just didn't feel it.

Maybe I should do it again. I'm in a period of waiting so it's tough.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa